Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theme Park

Options
  • 21-06-2014 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Loved this as a young lad.

Anyone know if it's still available to buy anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Enjoy:

http://www.gog.com/game/theme_park

Its on sale too. Pick up Theme hospital while you at it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

haha use to love building a load of food places at the entrance to a roller coaster... then watching them all vomit as they got off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I can see I'll be spending plenty of time on gog.com in future. :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

haha use to love building a load of food places at the entrance to a roller coaster... then watching them all vomit as they got off :D

Yup and then they'd be hungry again so more dollar bills. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is that the original one yeah?
    Cover looks different or am I wrong.

Cheers though. Might get stuck in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Slattsy wrote: »
    Is that the original one yeah?
    Cover looks different or am I wrong.

Cheers though. Might get stuck in.

Its original. Gog.com has a huge library of old games. They patch them and make them work on current OS. On top of all that - DRM free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I preferred the SNES version to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

rollercoaster tycoon collection thankyou very much

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Snes version was the best by a long way.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was the SNES one I had too. I actually bought the official mouse to play it though :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

20 years old now. Slow down world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Kirby wrote: »
    I preferred the SNES version to be honest.

The SNES version was dumbed down in comparison to the PS and PC versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

The SNES version was dumbed down in comparison to the PS and PC versions.

I wouldn't say that. It didn't have the FMV cutscenes because the snes cartridge didn't have the space, but it was actually a lot better in other areas such as the sprite graphics and the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Theme Park / Hospital.

So many hours spent in front of the screen. Amazing games.

I'd love to see them updated but the originals are absolute classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man Theme Park (original PC) version was a tough game. Absolutely loved it but after one season, after negotiations, it would get really hard. My park would always just explode into a ball of flames (not leterally) and me just starting with a brand new empty park. Petition for next gen Theme Park?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Great game. Unfortunately the studio fell to the wrath of EA :(

RIP Bullfrog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Great game. Unfortunately the studio fell to the wrath of EA :(
    I'm continuously perplexed when I see comments like this in relation to Bullfrog, same goes for when I see people lament the current state of Rare. Studios are only as good as the people within them and while it's easy to blame a publisher for the games released, without the original key staff on board, the chances of games being like we remember are greatly reduced. In the case of Bullfrog, after EA acquired them in 1995 they went on to make Magic Carpet 2, Syndicate Wars, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, Populous: The Beginning and Dungeon Keeper 2, basically some of their best titles which were either new IPs or improved on previous iterations, DK2 being the a rather debatable exception.

The dip in quality began after this, followed by their eventual closure in 2001. What's more important to note, however, is that Molyneux left after Dungeon Keeper and other key staff left to form Muckyfoot in 1998 who went on to make the interesting Urban Chaos and the awesome Startopia. So who or what do you blame for their later poorer titles and subsequent closure? The "wrath of EA" which, in this case seemed to take six years to occur, or the fact that a large proportion of the original and/or key staff left around at the same time several years after the acquisition?

I guess the argument then is, did the change in the culture at Bullfrog that was caused by the acquisition eventually cause people to leave? Now, by the sounds of it, it doesn't sound too bad but then again, I guess when you're used to working a particular way, that kind of change, even if it appears to be positive, can still end up causing unhappiness. Either way though, in the context of Bullfrog at least, I don't think wrath is an appropriate word to use, especially when you compare it to some of EA's later and far more questionable business decisions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Molyneux quit Bullfrog because he didn't like EA's corporate meddling in the studio, which eventually collapsed. I'll always blame EA for it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Molyneux quit Bullfrog because he didn't like EA's corporate meddling in the studio, which eventually collapsed. I'll always blame EA for it regardless.
    Molyneux specifically says that's not what happened though.
    "I left because I forgot who I was," Molyneux said. "When I was acquired by EA, I was made a vice president. I then ended up flying backwards and forwards to San Francisco a couple of times a month, rather than say, 'Just leave me designing games, I don't wanna be an exec, I shouldn't be an exec.' If I had done that, I could be still there now I guess. So I spun myself into a place where I shouldn't have actually been."

He sold the company and as part of the deal took on a different position which he ultimately didn't like and ended up leaving three years later. In that time they also released some of their most beloved games. I find it hard to blame EA for that really, at least in the manner one would apportion blame like in the case of their acquisition of DICE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Theme Park Studio is €9.99

According to SteamPowered.com, it's an early access game, thus a few of the nicer bits such as better animation hasn't been included as of yet.

It's been released by Pantera Entertainment, and started off as a Kickstarter, so most likely won't be ruined by EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I wouldn't say that. It didn't have the FMV cutscenes because the snes cartridge didn't have the space, but it was actually a lot better in other areas such as the sprite graphics and the sound.

I'm pretty sure you didn't get the full selection of rides or research options, and the stock market was cut down or missing on the SNES (I don't remember the full details 20 years on, naturally). The SNES version was the first one I played, and I remember there being more to get to grips with when I later got the PC version.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

I'm actually playing through this again at the moment on my tablet and it's still a fantastic (and fairly difficult) game!

it's still a fantastic (and fairly difficult) game!

Once one person pukes, you know you're in big trouble :pac:

Noxin wrote: »
    Once one person pukes, you know you're in big trouble :pac:

I usually try and hire an army of janitors but alas, sometimes the tide of puke is too much to bear! ;)

Is it difficult to get running on Win7? I remember trying to run it years ago the framerate had no cap so it would run a million fps

Well thats my Friday night sorted if I get it working

Is it difficult to get running on Win7? I remember trying to run it years ago the framerate had no cap so it would run a million fps

Well thats my Friday night sorted if I get it working

DosBox would sort any problems out fairly quick I'm sure!

• Think Bullfrog also made Populous and Dungeon Keeper :(

Would love to see sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Get it on PSN too

• Advertisement

I see they're having a sale on gog.com where you buy all of the old bullfrog games for about 8 quid!

Theme park / hospital, dungeon keeper 1 + 2, populous 1-3, etc.

Advertisement