Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icsi treatment Holles street Public

Options
  • 21-06-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any info or has attended holles street public for Icsi treatment.

I have gone through there website and can't seem to find any info apart from their merrion clinic and just wondering are the public/private one and the same.

I ask this as my husband and myself (both 25) have found out due to a very low sperm count we are unable to conceive naturally.

My husband attended Merrion fertility for his analysis and when his doctor was sending a referral letter to start our Icsi journey she said she was sending it to Holles street public as she felt with our age we would be accepted.
    I have received a gynecologist appointment in holles street and just wondering does this mean we have been accepted or is it just the start of trying to be accepted for public treatment.

Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated,
    Many thanks
    Cham

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi Cham, I might be completely wrong but I think fertility treatments are only offered through the merrion fertility clinic. Most if not all of the consultants that work there also work in holles street. They take on a certain amount of reduced price treatments per year through the merrion fertility foundation.
    The staff are all very nice there and you will be in good hands. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chamcham

Thank you
    I thought that May of been the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Hi Cham, I attend the Merion Clinic (there is a public and private in operation), it's attached to Holloes Street x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Please tell more ! My wife and I have the same issue , I'm low on sperm and doc suggests ivf or isci but says it's only private ????

We are both early 30's, low income renters and could never afford threatment .

Is there some way to get it cheaper / go public ?

I can't believe if there is that my doc didn't help bastard

We were refereed to the public section of the merrion clinic just less than 2 years ago. I have had all my standard tests done FOC.

I can't recall if we had to pay for my laparoscopic hysterectomy and D&C, for which I was a day patient, but I am pretty sure it was free as well.

The only thing about going public is the waiting time is very very long. we are often 4-6 mths between appointments.

I'm not at the stage yet of seeking intervention (IUI,IVF ect) so I am not sure what those costs are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Can I ask who refered you to the merrion public ??

I don't have a med card but applying now .

My gp made out there's no help at all and it's only private !

My wife hasn't even been sent to gunk by him.

If I give a bit of the story maybe someone will advise me ??

Basically doctor sent me to hari for semen analysis, paid 110 and did it, came back basically low count and dodgy morphology/motility. Still have good sperm but not a lot .

He wants me to do a second analysis. I'm not sure, should I change doctor or what ?

He hasn't looked at my wife or refered her to get checked at all and she might also be a bit 'off' .

He suggested we will need ivf probably and said there's no public option .

I asked the advice of a nurse I know and she is shocked my wife wasn't checked out and put on Clomid so that has me even more confused .

Ffs ...

Any good advice , we are not able to afford treatment etc, not 5k anyway .could afford half of that fair enough. I'm so stressed :-/

Sure thing... our local GP referred me, before the referral he did the initial tests, I had day 3 and 21 bloods and a few other blood tests, my OH had a semen analysis.

We had been TTC for over a year at that point, he refereed "me" as oppose to "us as a couple" to the Merrion clinic. But then they met us as a couple and we started the next level of tests with them, there was a long waiting list.

We don't have a medical card and my health insurance at the time didn't cover infertility.

I know there are supplements you can take to improve your semen quality, not sure about quantity. There are also the usual don't have hot baths, don't wear tight underwear, regular intercourse to keep the semen refreshed (not sure thats the correct term)

I would recommend your wife gets tested at the same time as you, there may also be some factors that are hers that could be affecting your chances, for example endo, PCOS, blcoked tubes, the list is endless...

Advertisement