Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifting/Moving Hives

• 21-06-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My Doc told me that I am too old to keep bees as I cannot lift the weight but what does she know as she is not a lifelong beekeeper. We have done a number of things like working a frame at a time, using a portable bench and a seat and carrying hives with a two person hive lifter. We have too many 10 frame boxes to replace with 5 frame boxes so we need some type of lift/cart to move hives to the out yards. Has anyone built or bought one that works well? Not ready to give up yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Native Honey Bee

Why not cover a wheelbarrow with a piece of ply? Screw a piece of 2"x 2" underneath the rear edge to stop it sliding forward. Works well for artificial / Pagden swarming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

Why not cover a wheelbarrow with a piece of ply? Screw a piece of 2"x 2" underneath the rear edge to stop it sliding forward. Works well for artificial / Pagden swarming too.

Wheel is too small, on top of the barrow is too high,prone too topple, mine is a wheelbarrow with the body removed and ply fitted on the frame instead but is very inclined to topple back if parked facing uphill so needs to be redesigned. I think Reesy has plans for one that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Galvium Irredentum

Ever thought of working horizontal hives? could your boxes be modified for a 'long hive' style? just a thought - determination begets ingenuity or somesuch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

We have something very similar to this - http://www.keeleyhire.co.uk/images/items/full/3558.jpg

It's technically a turf barrow, but it was handmade to spec for my fathers height etc. Would something like that work?

• Advertisement
Advertisement