Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DFS legally binding contract

Options
  • 21-06-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some legal advice on the sittuation we are in with DFS at the moment.

One week ago we went into DFS to buy a new couch for 1428euro, we had put down a 200 euro deposit and signed a legaly binding contract (which of course we didnt read or think too much of at the time of the purchase)

Later on that week we have changed our mind and went with a sofa offered to us by a family member for a fraction of the price.

We contacted the store to cancel our order and looking to return our deposit. The store manager advised there is no way to cancel the order once it placed and you have signed the contract (in a very rude and pushy manner)

We have been going back and forth between phone calls to the HQ in UK and emails which have also advised there is no going back you signed the contract ''deal with it'' type attitude

So today we recieved a phone call from the store to advise our couch will be ready for collection in two weeks.
    I advised the manager i will not be taking the couch and i am willing to forfit my deposit at this stage.

Their reply is you bought this couch, you own it and end of!! The outstanding balance will be passed to a debt collection agency.

We look for some advice from the citzens information on cancelation policies, deposit returns and cooling of periods, between all we dont have a leg to stand on.

Paying them for the couch is not an option. Where can we go from here?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Is it a bit like ordering a made to measure suit and then deciding against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

On the section we signed it states not in the exact words, ''this item is being made specially for YOU and YOUR specifications''
    So I guess from their point of view yes, but this is a standard couch from the showroom and from their website, with no special requirements or specification.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

You paid a deposit and signed a contract agreeing to buy a bespoke item?

Enjoy your new sofa.

http://www.dfs.co.uk/content/terms-and-conditions
    Acknowledgement and acceptance of your order

Everything that DFS sells is handmade. As a manufacturer we pride ourselves on being able to make furniture that's perfect for you.

If you place an order with dfs Direct, we will send all your paperwork by 1st class post to arrive within 3 working days.

It is important that you appreciate and understand that this order is a legally binding contract.

Is there any loophole of any sort to get out of this?

Not really.

Unless the person who signed the contract lacked mental capacity, or signed under duress, or made a certain kind of mistake.

None of these apply here though, as you said you just changed your mind...

If you had bought it online you would have had a cooling off period.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, very expensive lesson by the looks of things!
    Just a last shot in the dark, what about if I was able to prove I was intoxicated or the influence of drugs at the time of the purchase? Would that void the contract?

Just a last shot in the dark, what about if I was able to prove I was intoxicated or the influence of drugs at the time of the purchase? Would that void the contract?

The salesman would say you were sober and coherent when you signed the contract. You're talking about going to court when you go down this road. Is that time and expense it worth it for a sofa?

Chalk it down to experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Possibly
    Individuals who are clearly intoxicated - by alcohol or otherwise - are generally deemed not to be able to enter legally binding agreements.[22] Lord Ellenborough stated that such persons have "no agreeing mind",[27] though similar principles apply as to those who are otherwise incapacitated. A drunken person can choose to ratify a contract once they are again sober,[28] and under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, they are legally bound with regard to contracts for necessaries.
    (I look forward to the hilarity when the Freemen hear about this loophole)

I was going to say "Hey SOGA 1979 is English legislation" but the T&C's do say that "The contract between us shall be governed by the laws of England and any dispute between us will be resolved exclusively in the courts of England."

Good luck op.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

That's absolutely ridiculous. You signed the contract, for a bespoke item, suck it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

(a) Do you want to admit in court that you are a nuisance drunk?
    or
    (b) Do you want to perjure your self and face a stiff prison sentence?

Victor wrote: »
    (a) Do you want to admit in court that you are a nuisance drunk?
    or
    (b) Do you want to perjure your self and face a stiff prison sentence?

Thats out of the questions now anyway, traveling expenses to England will cost more than the couch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why is paying for the couch not an option, OP? Clearly, you had the money when you ordered it...

How about selling the couch straight on when you get it? That way you won't be out too much money.

Thats a great idea, the couch is already up for sale, so hopefull something comes thrue before the couch is ready for collection.

I can still buy the couch but its an expense i dont need as i already bough another couch from a relative.

So what will happen if i dont buy the couch?
    They are going to pass this off to a debt collection agency, who in turn will sell my stuff for me in order for me to pay for the couch which I have never used or collected? It doesnt really make sense, its easyer for them to retain the 200 deposit and sell off the couch to the next customer (between dozens of stores they have i dont see that being too much of a problem for them, keeping in mind they already have an extra 200 without lifting a finger)

I can understand this approach if say I bought say a car on finance missed payments, the first thing that the debt collectors are going to take is the car?
    But in this case the couch has never left the store, if this was to go to the debt collectors shouldnt the couch be the first thing they take, and since its never left the store or the original packaging it should cover the cost of the debt?

Also if i was persued for the remaining amount through the courts, Im a right to believe they can only look for the production cost of the couch, without their profit margin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Contact FLAC, having said that Citizen's advice sound correct. I'm wondering if Unfair contract terms regs might come into play.

Bepolite wrote: »
    Contact FLAC, having said that Citizen's advice sound correct. I'm wondering if Unfair contract terms regs might come into play.

Thanks i will check it out, just to add to that, when i contacted citizens information I was only asking what can we do to get the deposit back and if there is a cooling of period after a contract is signed(which only applies to distance selling). I only found out today about the debt collectors.

That's absolutely ridiculous. You signed the contract, for a bespoke item, suck it up

ok maybe a bit too far there, but im i the only one who thinks this is bizare?
    It's not like im trying to pull a fast one here, is loosing you deposit not enough?

You dodged a bullet with DFS! Bought a sofa from them once. Never again - cheap Chinese crap. Your rellie's sofa will probably last longer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You dodged a bullet with DFS! Bought a sofa from them once. Never again - cheap Chinese crap. Your rellie's sofa will probably last longer.

THings change

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/jun/30/dfs-leads-british-manufacturing-resurgence

agree while looking for information about their cancelation policy, found so many post about the bad quality of the sofa's and how quickly they turn against you once they start to lose a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Also if i was persued for the remaining amount through the courts, Im a right to believe they can only look for the production cost of the couch, without their profit margin?

I doubt it - they are entitled to look for loss of earnings or revenue. Otherwise, what's the point of business?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Damages in contract are generally calculated on what the person would have been entitled to, had the contract been performed.

godtabh wrote: »

So? I still wouldn't buy from them. They're awful to deal with too. But am speaking from my experience with them in London. I wouldn't buy from them again if you gave me gold.

what im trying to find out here will they actully bother chasing me for 1200 for a couch that has never been un-packed and never left their store?? See numbers below, they arent exactly going to have a problem selling the couch.

''Harvey Ellis, head of manufacturing at DFS, who oversees the 838 workers on three sites and in two woodmills, explained: "Once we receive an order, it takes just four days to go from an order on our screens to being loaded on to a van. The frames are shipped in from our wood factory six miles away and we will make 3,000 pieces a week. Today we'll complete 900."

They will. You might as well take your medicine...

Why did you sign the agreement without reading and understanding it?

It was a mistake on my part, plus I had the full intentions on buying the couch so didnt worry too much about what I was signing, would have took it from the store that day if I could. just so it happened this other couch came along few days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Irish contract law is almost identical. That said if the agreement has a clause about it being an English contract there might be some wriggle room there.

dudara wrote: »
    I doubt it - they are entitled to look for loss of earnings or revenue. Otherwise, what's the point of business?
    Damages in contract are generally calculated on what the person would have been entitled to, had the contract been performed.

True but they have a duty to mitigate their loss. In this case the loss would be zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Bepolite wrote: »
    True but they have a duty to mitigate their loss. In this case the loss would be zero.

I think that the loss should be the balance of the amount owed. Perhaps the loss could be mitigated by selling off the sofa for whatever price can be achieved. However, it might not be possible to find a buyer for it.

Advertisement