Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowed "IYogi" support user accesson my laptop, now im terrified

• 21-06-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Okay so I just bought a toshiba laptop last week and somehow yesterday it just refused to connect to the internet. It connected to the wifi and my phone and mothers laptop used the wifi fine but my laptop just wouldnt connect to the internet.
    So I typed in toshiba support on my phone and rang the first number that came up and it was this IYogi company, some Indian woman answered and managed to fix the problem.

But THEN she convinced me that my laptop was full of junk files and wasnt properly maintained and said that she can help me maintain it so I kept her on.
    Bare in mind I was oblivious to the fact that this might be a scam because I thought it was Toshiba support at the time.

So the woman gets me to download this thing that giver her user access to my laptop and she runs a scan for me to resolve any issues etc etc. Then finally she tells me that I can pay €150 for a year of tech support with them and she was extremely pushy, even trying to convince me to pay for support for my mams laptop aswell.

She then wanted me to leave her with access on my laptop and type in "ring me now" into notepad when my mam got home cause I told her Ill have to ask my mam about it (I had no intention at all of paying for it but figured telling her my mam wont be home for 6 hours would get her to leave me alone). I said no way and disabled her access.

BUT after reading all sorts of stuff online about them being extremely dodgy and people are convinced they still have access to their laptop even after it was disabled and their laptops are acting all sorts of crazy after they refused to pay for it. During the call she also put me on hold many times which is also dodgy.

Any idea what I should do as Im absolutely terrified atm, should I reset my laptop to factory settings or something? Please any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

What was the name of the file you downloaded that granted her access? Its likely to be a vnc variant of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

It was from this website - http://1mb.iyogi.com/win/index.html

I removed it completely and dont seem to be having any problems since

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 iYogi

Dear username “TheStook”,

iYogi is an independent technical service provider and is not affiliated to Toshiba or any 3rd party brand (unless specified). We are accredited to BBB with an “A+” rating and have been in the industry for over 7 years.
    We work on subscription basis and that’s the reason you were asked to pay for the service. We do not access any of our customer’s computer without their permission, as mentioned by you and we follow strict measures to ensure secured & quality services being provided to our customers.

We request you to share your account/contact details at iyogicare[at]iyogi[dot]com and we would reach you to discuss about the incident.

Regards,
    Active Response Team
    iYogi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 iYogi

Dear Moderator,

iYogi is one of the leading remote tech service providers in the world. We serve more than three Million customers worldwide and possess a BBB rating of A+ . Although we don't buy any of your claims on here, we would still like to investigate the things you have mentioned. We take feedback very seriously as it helps us in our endeavor to keep on improving our services.

If you have anything to share as a proper feedback regarding any particular incident, please send us an email on iYogicare[at]iyogi[.]com so that the needful can be done.

Thanks

Regards
    ART
    iYogi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

TheStook wrote: »
    Okay so I just bought a toshiba laptop last week and somehow yesterday it just refused to connect to the internet. It connected to the wifi and my phone and mothers laptop used the wifi fine but my laptop just wouldnt connect to the internet.
    So I typed in toshiba support on my phone and rang the first number that came up and it was this IYogi company, some Indian woman answered and managed to fix the problem.

But THEN she convinced me that my laptop was full of junk files and wasnt properly maintained and said that she can help me maintain it so I kept her on.
    Bare in mind I was oblivious to the fact that this might be a scam because I thought it was Toshiba support at the time.

So the woman gets me to download this thing that giver her user access to my laptop and she runs a scan for me to resolve any issues etc etc. Then finally she tells me that I can pay €150 for a year of tech support with them and she was extremely pushy, even trying to convince me to pay for support for my mams laptop aswell.

She then wanted me to leave her with access on my laptop and type in "ring me now" into notepad when my mam got home cause I told her Ill have to ask my mam about it (I had no intention at all of paying for it but figured telling her my mam wont be home for 6 hours would get her to leave me alone). I said no way and disabled her access.

BUT after reading all sorts of stuff online about them being extremely dodgy and people are convinced they still have access to their laptop even after it was disabled and their laptops are acting all sorts of crazy after they refused to pay for it. During the call she also put me on hold many times which is also dodgy.

Any idea what I should do as Im absolutely terrified atm, should I reset my laptop to factory settings or something? Please any help is much appreciated

If you post your problem on this bit of boards :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=9

theres a good chance you'll get the help to sort it for free

Bonus : you get to learn a bit more about fixing it yourself - waaaay better that getting some loopers to just fix it for you and learn nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

iYogi wrote: »
    Dear Moderator,

iYogi is one of the leading remote tech service providers in the world. We serve more than three Million customers worldwide and possess a BBB rating of A+ . Although we don't buy any of your claims on here, we would still like to investigate the things you have mentioned. We take feedback very seriously as it helps us in our endeavor to keep on improving our services.

If you have anything to share as a proper feedback regarding any particular incident, please send us an email on iYogicare[at]iyogi[.]com so that the needful can be done.

Thanks

Regards
    ART
    iYogi
    Washington state sues iYogi, alleges tech support scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Apple Tech Support here!

iYogi are a pain in the proverbial from my perspective as customers often ask me why Google allows their number to be listed when they Google "Apple Technical Support" - this is an excellent question but one to be answered by Google!

In my opinion, as a lay person, iYogi could do a lot more to make it clear that they are NOT in fact AppleCare. Also some of the steps I have been told by customers that they recommend are either unnecessary or a huge amount of money is being demanded to do something simple like delete files they can't remove from the trash.

Worse still, some people are convinced that they were in fact talking to AppleCare previously when they were in fact speaking to iYogi, clear signs of this include:

- The screen sharing software allows iYogi to take control of a customer's computer whereas Apple use a passive mode only which moves an arrow around the screen, leaving the customer in control.
    - Requesting extortionate amounts for Tech Support (Apple have a fixed fee for out of warranty devices well below what iYogi seem to ask).
    - The fact there's no previous record of correspondence with the customer.

My first month in Tech Support, one gentleman not only insisted that Apple and iYogi are one and the same but actually said that it was me personally to whom he talked.

The flipside of this as well is that when a customer is put through to an Advisor who speaks English as a second language, they often allow bigotry to take hold and assume they are being scammed... because we know no British people would ever commit fraud. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Scam company there are loads that show up on google and for all the vendors and brands they just create urls to suit each google search - (Yet the phone number you rang if you google that you will see it satisfy a whole range of manufacturers) they lure you in then if your silly enough to hand over card details they will start on a never ending rage of charges for stuff they have not done .

Advice -
    If they have been in your pc - wipe it immeadiatley factory restore and and ensure any external media they accessed is wiped and cleaned also .

If you gave any bank details to them cancel them right now and pray they have not launched a myriad of charges at you.

Same can be found for symantec support ,Mcaffee, trendmicro .......... Same number will show up . this happened recently to my sister in the UK she called me mid support session with them and i managed to get her onto the other line to her bank and block them - by the end of the call they tried to take 200 sterling from her account .

IF an entire state can sue them then something aint right , ...... Right ?
    http://presstelegraph.com/2015/12/21/washington-state-sues-iyogi-alleges-tech-support-scam.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement