Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vs Iran - 5PM (ITV1 & RTE2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    What 3 favourites are that ?

Argentina Spain and Brazil I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

com'on people give Iran some credit, they have a gameplan that's working for them.

Argentina are terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Argentina Spain and Brazil I presume?

In that case I get what he's saying, but personally I always put Germany and Italy in the top 5 of favourites to win it, every single tournament ;)

Billy86 wrote: »
    I am finding it kind of interesting even if the football is poor. Doubt they hold out, but if Iran get a draw here would that be the biggest upset in WC history (or at least in the modern game, post '66). They've nearly gone ahead again now!

Argentina are doing less than the bare minimum. They are doing sh**e, pure and simple. Messi has again been largely invisible... against bloody Iran!

Think you are selling Iran a bit short there tbh. They're not San Marino. Now if they won 2-0 it would be a different matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Daemos wrote: »
    And people thought Argentina would actually win this World Cup :pac:

how can you tell, all they have to do is qualify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Argentina have largely flattered to deceive if you look at their World Cup history - they've won it twice one of which was at home under the Junta which by all accounts managed the atmosphere surrounding the officials in a very particular way (!) and 1986 when they had Maradona at his peak. Since then - runners up 1990 and few quarters finals is as good as its got.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Oh my goodness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Good save

Laughable from Argentina.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Cracking header and equally good save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

What a save from Romero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What a save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Come on Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Romero the only Argentina player pulling his weight.

Come on Iran. Get a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,208 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Wonderful save, I wonder was it going in though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

They have been the most impressive of the 3 favourites. And they have been terrible
    Seriously? Germany blew Portugal away and that was even before Pepe was sent off. They were my tip to win before a ball was kicked, and IMO were by far the best team from the first round of fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Bloody hell, that was close.

• Advertisement

Exciting game now

Seriously? Germany blew Portugal away and that was even before Pepe was sent off. They were my tip to win before a ball was kicked, and IMO were by far the best team from the first round of fixtures

Have a sizeable amount on them myself, and had Spain/England to go out in the group stages (quite a coup) so I don't disagree but I think that the climate will take its toll on them.

2 South American teams to make the final me thinks.

1-0 to Messi I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dejagah will be getting a move away from Fulham after this World up that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

I think he's talking about bookies favourites: Brazil, Argentina and Spain all went off at a shorter price than Germany who drifted a bit after Reus got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I got Argentina in the Office Sweep but really want to see Iran get a result here. They are playing really well !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So infuriating seeing Gago even touching the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Lavezzi for Gago or Higuain I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Headshot wrote: »
    So infuriating seeing Gago even touching the ball

Ha ha. He's really got under your skin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rojiblancos

gandalf wrote: »
    I got Argentina in the Office Sweep but really want to see Iran get a result here. They are playing really well !!!!

I got iran in mine, but have money on argentina to win the World Cup.. I'm torn :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Would Argentina please score a goal for the love of all Christ!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This is exciting stuff.

It would be cruel to have them lose to a free kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

dfx- wrote: »
    how can you tell, all they have to do is qualify
    They barely bet Bosnia, and it seems they can't even beat Iran. I hate to see what they're like when they come up against a good team

That German team are the perfect example at blowing group opposition away and then bottling it at the semifinals when it matters.

Blowing group sides away is no indicator at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Think you are selling Iran a bit short there tbh. They're not San Marino. Now if they won 2-0 it would be a different matter.

Maybe, but Argentina were favourites or second favourites when the tournament began, are hyped as having the greatest player of all time with everything set up for him to completely take over and Ddominate, etc etc. Iran on the other hand have no tip flight players in Europe, only a handful in the European lower leagues, and the majority are based in the Iranian league. I am just struggling to think of a bigger upset I'm recent world cups?

Have to admit they look a solid defensive unit though, Quieroz really does know how to put a stubborn team together.

I think Iran were something like 15/1 to win on paddy power before kickoff and 15/2 for the draw.

Poor again from Messi. He is lucky for his sake that he is not Ronaldo, or he would be slaughtered for today. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would have went in if it hadn't hit the shaving foam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

madcabbage wrote: »
    Would Argentina please score a goal for the love of all Christ!!! :eek:

You have money on Argentina, I take it. Well, Iran have worked damn hard in this game and look deserving of getting something out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That bloody ref needs to put on an Argentina jersey. Get out of the f*cking way and stop playing defensive midfielder for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Poor attempt there although the keeper nearly botched it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I really want Iran to get something from this game but i feel they are going to be dealt a bitter blow in the last 10 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Gago stays on ...

Will they stick for a draw or shall Argentina try to win it - they might want to be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dfx- wrote: »
    That German team are the perfect example at blowing group opposition away and then bottling it at the semifinals when it matters.

Blowing group sides away is no indicator at all

Ah come on losing a semi is not bottling it, it gets tough at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not even adventurous with their changes, just striker for strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Maybe, but Argentina were favourites or second favourites when the tournament began, are hyped as having the greatest player of all time with everything set up for him to completely take over and Ddominate, etc etc. Iran on the other hand have no tip flight players in Europe, only a handful in the European lower leagues, and the majority are based in the Iranian league. I am just struggling to think of a bigger upset I'm recent world cups?

Have to admit they look a solid defensive unit though, Quieroz really does know how to put a stubborn team together.

I think Iran were something like 15/1 to win on paddy power before kickoff and 15/2 for the draw.

Poor again from Messi. He is lucky for his sake that he is not Ronaldo, or he would be slaughtered for today. :p

That's the great thing about the WC. It's got those David v. Goliath clashes, and David's usually up for it. It's funny when fans or players almost get indignant, playing a 'lesser' team and find they can't score. Well, play better then! And if you can't.......tough. No goals for you.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ah come on losing a semi is not bottling it gets tough at that stage.

It is when you do it three or four times in a row, like Germany have in semis and finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Something tells me you may have been approaching this tournament with some form of agenda, call it a hunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This hot humid day in Belo Horizonte against Iran is as close to a wet day against Stoke that Messi will get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Gago stays on ...

biglia must have really piss3d on someones chips.

• Advertisement

Oh what a chance that could have been for Iran.

Another mental haircut on display.

Advertisement