Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vs Iran - 5PM (ITV1 & RTE2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Sing when winning springs to mind.

Yeah cause Anderson never praises messi, even when barca loses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Tox56 wrote: »
    Nothing except bailing his country out of the shít in added time at the World Cup.. sweet jesus some people will never be satisfied

It was Iran. They played well but if someone is going to be considered the best ever, he is going to take over a game like that with ease. Great goal when it mattered, but once again Messi struggles mightily when not playing in absolute optimal circumstances. Him and Ronaldo are obviously the best two the world has seen in a long time, but I find it amusing how it will now be made out by some that Messi was fantastic today. He wasn't, and if not for Romero in goals that would be a consolation goal.

"The only player in the world who can do what he did" - John Giles. This kind of comical bullsh*t. He is not the only player who can score from outside the box, or who can score a winner at the death. Hyperbolic nonsense.

Great goal at a crucial time as I said, but it is quite funny how eager some are to ignore anything and everything negative focus only on the positive when it comes to Messi. And only when it comes to Messi.

Now Giles is talking down Suarez to make Messi sound better because Suarez apparently cannot do it alone? If we are talking about doing it alone, as in solo goals, Ronaldo trumps them both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

poor Iran. Gutted for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I wish they would scale back the 'genius' bo!!ox about Messi - as he has played so far anyway. I have seen 20+ goals like this in the premiership alone in the last season. It was a great goal ! But no genius, and lots of terrific players could have scored it. Lucky Argentina, I don't see them winning it on this form. But things can change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

AdamD wrote: »
    Struggle to feel sorry for Iran when they parked the bus for the vast majority of that game making it a ****e watch

Dafuq?

That second half was enthralling.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Fudge You wrote: »
    Yeah cause Anderson never praises messi, even when barca loses.

More the fact he didn't post till after the goal, and I highly doubt he would have had it finished 0-0. There's countless examples of it re: Barca and Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

What kind of person sings when they are losing? That would be stupid, if you cared at all about the thing you are supporting you wouldn't ve singing if it's losing, you would be feeling sad, disappointed, angry ect. not ready for a sing-song.

However Messi has won, Messi has won in the final minutes in the most spectacular fashion imaginable, Messi has twice dragged this team to victory. If ever there was a time to sing it is now.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He's so frustrating when he plays for Argentina...I honestly think they'd do better if Lavezzi was starting instead of him. Messi is obviously miles better, but he can be so so selfish, trying to do everything himself. He's just not on the same wavelength as his teammates.

Selfish??? Disagree.
    I think messi didnt have a good game.

But no one is criticising Aguero. He is supposed to be the best striker in the premier league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

More the fact he didn't post till after the goal, and I highly doubt he would have had it finished 0-0. There's countless examples of it re: Barca and Chelsea.

that's kind of what being a football fan is, celebrating goals.

"I failed the leaving cert.
    I failed the leaving cert."

No, doesn't really work when losing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Billy86 wrote: »
    It was Iran. They played well but if someone is going to be considered the best ever, he is going to take over a game like that with ease. Great goal when it mattered, but once again Messi struggles mightily when not playing in absolute optimal circumstances. Him and Ronaldo are obviously the best two the world has seen in a long time, but I find it amusing how it will now be made out by some that Messi was fantastic today. He wasn't, and if not for Romero in goals that would be a consolation goal.

"The only player in the world who can do what he did" - John Giles. This kind of comical bullsh*t. He is not the only player who can score from outside the box, or who can score a winner at the death. Hyperbolic nonsense.

Great goal at a crucial time as I said, but it is quite funny how eager some are to ignore anything and everything negative focus only on the positive when it comes to Messi. And only when it comes to Messi.

Now Giles is talking down Suarez to make Messi sound better because Suarez apparently cannot do it alone? If we are talking about doing it alone, as in solo goals, Ronaldo trumps them both.

Sigh ok clearly I'm not going to get anywhere here

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pringle12345

Don't be butthurt Nuri

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He's so frustrating when he plays for Argentina...I honestly think they'd do better if Lavezzi was starting instead of him. Messi is obviously miles better, but he can be so so selfish, trying to do everything himself. He's just not on the same wavelength as his teammates.
    I disagree they would do better with Lavezzi, but for me The issue is quite obvious... he simply is not as impressive without Xavi and Iniesta dominating possession for him all game further back the pitch. Not a knock on Messi who has been nothing short of brilliant for Barca over the years, but anyone would look better with those two behind them than without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Struggle to feel sorry for Iran when they parked the bus for the vast majority of that game making it a ****e watch

They had by far the better chances, more corners last time i looked and played on paper a far superior team. Their tactics were a few minutes from a famous result

Sometimes I don't post when those teams win, sometimes I simply don't see the games live , I record them and I watch them later but I will note your request of wanting me to post more, always nice to know that I'm wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

This. Queiroz parked the bus, what a tactical genius. Pigeons came home to roost late on.

nobody will miss Irans negative play.

that's kind of what being a football fan is, celebrating goals.

And going into hiding when craps hits the fan and your team(s) fail to get a positive result, all the while shouting from the rooftops with hyperbole comments galore when they win?

Okay.

Yeah but it finished 1-0 so...

Sometimes I don't post when those teams win, sometimes I simply don't see the games live , I record them and I watch them later but I will note your request of wanting me to post more, always nice to know that I'm wanted.

I believe you.

• Advertisement

I believe you.

Man Nuri boy.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Sigh ok clearly I'm not going to get anywhere here

Clearly not. Because he scored a great, clutch goal to win it. But he was invisible for 89 minutes before than against... Iran. As he was for 75-80 minutes against Bosnia. He scored another great goal that game it isn't influencing matches throughout as he should be. He is along with Ronaldo the best in the world, but he needs to do more for the GOT discussion. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

New rules lads. You have to post regularly in the match thread to be allowed post in celebration of a goal, even if there's no other goals before it to comment on.

Why did you have to bring this thread into a messi v ronaldo????
    Why cant you just respect both players, and stop with the hate.

Im guessing you will keep up the anger/messi is poor/bullsht etc, so....
    Where was Ronaldo against Germany??? He was awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Now Giles is talking down Suarez to make Messi sound better because Suarez apparently cannot do it alone?

He really said that about Suarez? It's high time the axe was swung in the rte sports department tbh.

I believe you.

I don't really care if you believe me, I'm simply giving a pretty simple explanation. I catch the vast majority of games thanks to my scheduled/having all of the sports channels available on Sky/being committed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

You'd like to think that this Argentina team will come into their own in the knockout stages with games becoming more open and opportunities more frequent,teams really have to go for it. The last 10-15 minutes Iran rightly defended the 0-0 and the point but teams won't want extra time in these conditions in the latter stages.

Argentina's form over the last 2-3 years has been impressive and I don't think any other team can boast the attacking options they have so it'd be a pity they didn't show it when the likes of Netherlands, Germany, France and Chile have been playing such great football. Same goes for Brazil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I believe you.

Totally believable that he misses the games they don't win, out of pure coincidence like.

New rules lads. You have to post regularly in the match thread to be allowed post in celebration of a goal, even if there's no other goals before it to comment on.

Apparently there may also be a word limit that I recently learned about.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Totally believable that he misses the games they don't win, out of pure coincidence like.

What are you on about? Jaysus you hate barca so much that you came in to this thread to have a go at anderson!

Next of all, you'll bring up tiki tika!!!!

I'm struggling to think of a team that wouldn't have struggled against that Iran side. Argentina not as coherent as they could be, some poor touches, particularly by higuain. But overall I thought Argentina did quite well. Kept trying to win, left themselves exposed to the counter in the last quarter and were very lucky not to pay the price. Extremely lucky to win. But I think it should not be understated they kept pressing and looking for the win.

Feel gutted for Iran. Messi almost made me vomit. Really wanted them to draw.

• Advertisement

Why did you have to bring this thread into a messi v ronaldo????
    Why cant you just respect both players, and stop with the hate.

Im guessing you will keep up the anger/messi is poor/bullsht etc, so....
    Where was Ronaldo against Germany??? He was awful!
    I am not. They each are better at different areas, and about level out. It makes no sense to say nobody else can score the goal Messi did today, because though it was a great goal, others have scored similar. Saying nobody can score solo goals as easily as Messi is just inaccurate, was my point. But whatever.

Ronaldo was playing against a Dar better team than Messi was, with an injury and 10 men. But he was also sh**e. I'm not arguing one over the other.

Turtwig wrote: »
    I'm struggling to think of a team that wouldn't have struggled against that Iran side.

Ze Germans. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Great finish from Messi, but a very average Argentinian side. Even at 0-0, it wasn't until the 75th minute that there was any sort of full on pressure. A better team will dismantle the Argentinians long before they will need to call on Messi to climb them out of a hole and I fully expect it to happen. Praising Argentina for keeping on going and pressing is nonsense, what else were they going to do? If they didn't press it would be bordering on outrageously bad.

I am not. They each are better at different areas, and about level out. It makes no sense to say nobody else can score the goal Messi did today, because though it was a great goal, others have scored similar. Saying nobody can score solo goals as easily as Messi is just inaccurate, was my point. But whatever.

Ronaldo was playing against a Dar better team than Messi was, with an injury and 10 men. But he was also sh**e. I'm not arguing one over the other.

Fair enough, I was arguing with you before Gilesy's comment.
    But anyway it doesnt matter now.

I just hate the way messi v ronaldo is brought up when either of them farts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

AndersonIsGod supports Barca, Chelsea, Spain, Argentina, Messi and i am probably missing some. Shows how much his opinion counts. Having a thesaurus open in a tab as he posts doesn't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Argentina have two wins already though without even trying.

Thanks for clearing that up. I actually thought Argentina tried to win both their games. But since according to you, they never tried to win those games. Perhaps we should regard both their victories as a truly phenomenal achievement then? And here was poor me thinking they were playing utter crap, when in reality, they weren't even trying to win all along. Wow.

He really said that about Suarez? It's high time the axe was swung in the rte sports department tbh.

Giles and Dunphy would murder their grannies to get an opportunity to talk up on of their equal favourites on their shortlist.

Interesting from Sadlier, how much trouble Iran had before the WC... No money, Quieroz gone because of no money, no real preparation qualifiers since they can't afford to travel and nobody will go to Iran right now to play them, and they play like they have the last two games, and deserve to possibly even be sitting on four points right now.

Ze Germans. ;)

I think you have spoken too soon. they could struggle against Ghana. A lot went wrong for Portugal.
    And remember the last world cup, Germany won 4-0 in their first game against Australia. Then lose to Serbia 1-0 in their second! And beat Ghana 1-0 in the last match.
    Anything can happen in this world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Stupid Twitter question on RTE about better teams than Iran not qualifying. Iran are better than many European sides including Ireland.

Ze Germans. ;)

France, Chile Holland too maybe but none of sides have faced such an organized defence so it's hard to say how much penetration they would have.

• Advertisement

I think you have spoken too soon. they could struggle against Ghana. A lot went wrong for Portugal.
    And remember the last world cup, Germany won 4-0 in their first game against Australia. Then lose to Serbia 1-0 in their second! And beat Ghana 1-0 in the last match.
    Anything can happen in this world cup
    possibly and it will be interesting to see how no Reus hurts them in a tougher match... I just really like Germany. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Messi came close to scoring at least two other times today (chances he created himself). He has been Argentina's biggest threat in both games. Not at his best but delivered when it counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

dan719 wrote: »
    AndersonIsGod supports Barca, Chelsea, Spain, Argentina, Messi and i am probably missing some. Shows how much his opinion counts. Having a thesaurus open in a tab as he posts doesn't change that.

Real Madrid is one you've forgotten. He's admitted that he used to post as a Real fan on another forum.

Fair enough, I was arguing with you before Gilesy's comment.
    But anyway it doesnt matter now.

I just hate the way messi v ronaldo is brought up when either of them farts!

Definitely agree, they are both all timers with incredible talents and extremely rounded attacking games. I just can't stand how much RTE love to s**t on other players to talk up their favourites. What really made no sense is that Suarez won the England game near the deafh on a complete solo goal less than 48 hours ago!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Beautiful from Messi. If he keeps this up the debate will be over (although it should be by now for anyone without bias or an agenda). I see Suarez laughably being mentioned in the same breath above. It's summer lads. Leave the club blindness behind for a few months.

Messi came close to scoring at least two other times today (chances he created himself). He has been Argentina's biggest threat in both games. Not at his best but delivered when it counts.

Obviously he hasnt been on fire.

But I think the discussion should be about Aguero. The best striker in the Best league in the world playing awful!!! Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pro. F wrote: »
    Real Madrid is one you've forgotten. He's admitted that he used to post as a Real fan on another forum.

You've conveniently left out the explanation for that. Also I have played, and set up, football matches with Boards members, I think anyone at one of those can vouch for my Barcelona affiliation and lack of Real Madrid love.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

You've conveniently left out the explanation for that. Also I have played, and set up, football matches with Boards members, I think anyone at one of those can vouch for my Barcelona affiliation and lack of Real Madrid love.

Have been reading these threads during the World Cup so far. There is no reason for you to explain yourself. You seem to like great football. That's fine with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Pro. F wrote: »
    And what's that got to do with you exactly? You're coming across as a bit of a stalker to be honest.

I think the contempt on here towards Andersonisgod is sickening. It's bordering on bullying at this stage.

• Advertisement

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Have been reading these threads during the World Cup so far. There is no reason for you to explain yourself. You seem to like great football. That's fine with me.

Thank you, I've typed essentially the same message a few times when asked to explain the situation, I just find it puts a stop to the topic rather than it rumbling on and derailing the match thread. If ever there was a match thread that shouldn't be derailed it is this one, Messi's magical moment deserves every bit of praise it will rightly receive.

Advertisement