Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vs Iran - 5PM (ITV1 & RTE2)

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

main conclusion from the local press is that romero saved them, messi showed up late and they remain unimpressed and concerned.

for me messi is not physically correct, aguero looks like he doesnt know exactly where he should play and higuain was simply awful. i reckon we'll see lavezzi or palacio replace him.

gago is a woeful player for this level. slow and weak. Biglia should get 90 mins against nigeria to see how he goes. Gago is coming off the back of a really poor season for Boca. Bañega could not seriously be worse than him, but he went home.

Amazing that Sabella left it late to make changes. only di maria, mascherano and romero showed up for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You've conveniently left out the explanation for that. Also I have played, and set up, football matches with Boards members, I think anyone at one of those can vouch for my Barcelona affiliation and lack of Real Madrid love.

I left out your explanations and character references because I don't care about them nor believe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Beautiful from Messi. If he keeps this up the debate will be over (although it should be by now for anyone without bias or an agenda). I see Suarez laughably being mentioned in the same breath above. It's summer lads. Leave the club blindness behind for a few months.
    This is what I am talking about. I literally said Messi is better than Suarez, and that him and Robert are the best two the world has seen in some time. Why is it that you seem to view anything that isn't constant, unadulterated fappery about Messi as some kind of attack or agenda?

John Giles said nobody in the world could score than goal except Messi. That is bullsh**. Had it been a goal like Maradona wonder goal in 86 again, he would later had a good point. But as good a goal as it was today, it was not that and I have seen plenty of others score that type of goal. Giles then decided he needed to talk down other players who had nothing to do with today's gamete make Messi look better, in saying Suarez relies on others and needs teammates to set up his goals. Less than 48 hours after he scored a completely solo game winning goal right near the end to beat England.

And I am far, far from a Liverpool fan by the way. So stop trying to smear my argument and instead prove to me how nobody else in the world is capable of scoring from the edge of the box but Messi if you have issue with what I said.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I am pie wrote: »
    This. Queiroz parked the bus, what a tactical genius. Pigeons came home to roost late on.

nobody will miss Irans negative play.

Incredibly harsh given the gulf in quality between both teams. This isn't some plucky, costly Mourinho team vs.. well, any big team away from home seemingly. Thought Iran countered excellently at times and were unlucky not to grab a goal.

Thank you, I've typed essentially the same message a few times when asked to explain the situation, I just find it puts a stop to the topic rather than it rumbling on and derailing the match thread. If ever there was a match thread that shouldn't be derailed it is this one, Messi's magical moment deserves every bit of praise it will rightly receive.

Dunno who you piss3d off but its boring to see the level of personal baseless turd that is being thrown your way.

fair play for putting up with it.

spanish club side loyalty has nothing to do with a poor game saved by a flash of brilliance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fudge You wrote: »
    What are you on about? Jaysus you hate barca so much that you came in to this thread to have a go at anderson!

Next of all, you'll bring up tiki tika!!!!

No, I posted in the 80th minute saying "I have a feeling Argentina will grind them down and get a winner at the death" and then again in the 91st minute saying "Called it". And then again after reading Anderson's usual nonsense.

I didn't come in because of anyone besides my own desire to comment on the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Nib wrote: »
    And what's that got to do with you exactly? You're coming across as a bit of a stalker to be honest.

I think the contempt on here towards Andersonisgod is sickening. It's bordering on bullying at this stage.

Believe me for every one person who dislikes him there's 5 who look forward to his posts!

main conclusion from the local press is that romero saved them, messi showed up late and they remain unimpressed and concerned.

for me messi is not physically correct, aguero looks like he doesnt know exactly where he should play and higuain was simply awful. i reckon we'll see lavezzi or palacio replace him.

gago is a woeful player for this level. slow and weak. Biglia should get 90 mins against nigeria to see how he goes. Gago is coming off the back of a really poor season for Boca. Bañega could not seriously be worse than him, but he went home.

Amazing that Sabella left it late to make changes. only di maria, mascherano and romero showed up for him.

Seems to me like they've got a horrible balance with their creative players at the moment and it's making them all weaker for it. Although I could see a lot of teams struggling to break that Iran side down to be fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Billy86 wrote: »
    This is what I am talking about. I literally said Messi is better than Suarez, and that him and Robert are the best two the world has seen in some time. Why is it that you seem to view anything that isn't constant, unadulterated fappery about Messi as some kind of attack or agenda?

I wasn't referring to your posts so settle, petal.
    So stop trying to smear my argument and instead prove to me how nobody else in the world is capable of scoring from the edge of the box but Messi if you have issue with what I said.

As above. Take a breath and sit the next few plays out. This seems to bother you far more than it should.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Incredibly harsh given the gulf in quality between both teams. This isn't some plucky, costly Mourinho team vs.. well, any big team away from home seemingly. Thought Iran countered excellently at times and were unlucky not to grab a goal.

didnt see it, dont think they countered particular well either, more that Argentina got nervous and left space in their attempt to grab something. deserved a penalty though.

two very limited performances from iran, i wont miss them. Other teams have came out and played football and it has served them and the tournament well.

Argentina's problem is that they want to play on the counter, neither iran nor bosnia fell for it and then didnt commit much forward. Arg dont have the midfield players to maintain possession in the final third to support building a chance, far too many hopeful crosses to nowhere, poor shots and generally rushed chances. I dont think Iran had a masterplan, more than sit deep and watch them get frustrated.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Seems to me like they've got a horrible balance with their creative players at the moment and it's making them all weaker for it. Although I could see a lot of teams struggling to break that Iran side down to be fair.

same players and system took them through the conmebol group at a cruise, beating colombia, chile and uruguay. Sabella was lauded precisely because he had struck a balance. 4-3-3 with messi just behind higuain and aguero, all happy and knew their roles, it worked sublimely.

rumour is that sending banega home instead of biglia or gago upset players who played u20 and olympics with banega and undermined faith in sabella. seems a minor issue to get over to me.

note when they scored, the only people who gave sabella a hug was his two other besuited coaches, this in a country where you get a kiss on the cheek from every random stranger. very touchy feely people, to me there was something in that.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

didnt see it, dont think they countered particular well either, more that Argentina got nervous and left space in their attempt to grab something. deserved a penalty though.

two very limited performances from iran, i wont miss them. Other teams have came out and played football and it has served them and the tournament well.

Argentina's problem is that they want to play on the counter, neither iran nor bosnia fell for it and then didnt commit much forward. Arg dont have the midfield players to maintain possession in the final third to support building a chance, far too many hopeful crosses to nowhere, poor shots and generally rushed chances. I dont think Iran had a masterplan, more than sit deep and watch them get frustrated.

I'll agree to disagree on the first point. A better final ball is the thing you can criticise Iran for, but that aside, they did well considering the amount of players you, I or anyone else here knew about in their team. They played well above themselves one would assume, but that's no excuse for Argentina to nick it at the death through a moment of brilliance from the best player in the world after Glen Johnson.

Other teams of better quality than Iran have come out and played football, and it's served them well, yes.

I agree that Argentina want to play on the counter, still doesn't excuse them today. I cannot understand why Banega wasn't in the squad, let alone that he should be ahead of someone like Gago.

Iran didn't want to get absolutely torn to shreds and humiliated on the biggest stage in football due to the difference between the sides. You sound angry for them for doing so. Had it been a top quality opponent, I could understand your point, but it wasn't and I don't.

same players and system took them through the conmebol group at a cruise, beating colombia, chile and uruguay. Sabella was lauded precisely because he had struck a balance. 4-3-3 with messi just behind higuain and aguero, all happy and knew their roles, it worked sublimely.

I heard that talk coming up to the tournament, haven't seen it born out in these two games at all. Although it's still only two games against tricky opposition, so too early to draw conclusions. They could still prove themselves, maybe even more so if they end up playing on the counter against bigger teams.
    rumour is that sending banega home instead of biglia or gago upset players who played u20 and olympics with banega and undermined faith in sabella. seems a minor issue to get over to me.

note when they scored, the only people who gave sabella a hug was his two other besuited coaches, this in a country where you get a kiss on the cheek from every random stranger. very touchy feely people, to me there was something in that.

Seems like a small thing to be causing problems all right. Interesting point about the celebrations.

I wasn't referring to your posts so settle, petal.

As above. Take a breath and sit the next few plays out. This seems to bother you far more than it should.
    Funny that, because you said :

"I see Suarez laughably being mentioned in the same breath above. "

There is literally not a single post that mentions Suarez that is either by me, or in direct response to the Suarez comment I made.

You cannot back up your comment, because it was a stupid comment that you got shown up for making. Simple as that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Pro. F wrote: »

The main problem Argentina have is their manager. Sabella played a 4-3-3 throughout qualifying with Gago/Banega, Mascherano and Di Maria as the midfield three. Gago or Banega play a very important role in that side and in the first game he decides to tear up the system and try out a 3-5-2 with two wing backs in the first game. He played a center back as a wingback for 45 minutes. Quite bizarre. Playing Rojo at left back is acceptable but as a wing back is absolutely crazy stuff.

He then decides to revert back at half time against Bosnia to the 4-3-3. You have to wonder what kind of impact a sudden change of system has in the players. Surely if the manager tried to change it up then the players can't have too much faith in it. Argentina have lost their confidence. The most brutal of all schoolboy errors that Sabella made was not talking a replacement for Gago. Yes, Banega is out of form but he's still played well for Argentina and leaving him out really weakens the strength of the 4-3-3. Messi is by far the most important player but if Gago goes down they're pretty much kaput.

Funny that, because you said :

"I see Suarez laughably being mentioned in the same breath above. "

There is literally not a single post that mentions Suarez that is either by me, or in direct response to the Suarez comment I made.

You cannot back up your comment, because it was a stupid comment that you got shown up for making. Simple as that. :)

Sigh.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    BEST IN THE WWWWWOOOOOORRRRRLLLLLDDDDD!!!

not named Suarez.

Now get your shine-box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Believe me for every one person who dislikes him there's 5 who look forward to his posts!

The ratio is 5 to 1? Interesting, I mean I don't believe you, but interesting.

I don't mind his posts as much as I used to, just wish there was as much acceptance of criticism as there is description exaggerations. I mean, I'd take a good football discussion any day over just exaggerated typed commentary of a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I lost all respect for Messi and Barca a while ago but come on lads, it isn't the guy's job to make winding runs and cap them off with a goal like we've seen countless times in the past, it's scoring goals and he's scored important goals in both games now. He's a phenom. People put too much emphasis on impressive general play sometimes.

Sigh.

Now get your shine-box.
    Some future advise for you then... it does help to actually quote something when you refer to it over 100 posts and 40 minutes later in a busy match day tread. Stops it from looking like disingenuous backtracking later on, having coincidentally jumped in right when Suarez was brought up again . :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Liam O wrote: »
    I lost all respect for Messi and Barca a while ago but come on lads, it isn't the guy's job to make winding runs and cap them off with a goal like we've seen countless times in the past, it's scoring goals and he's scored important goals in both games now. He's a phenom. People put too much emphasis on impressive general play sometimes.

Of course he's a phenom but nothing wrong with criticism of the team, which includes Messi. He had a very quiet game. If he played well and didn't score, I'm sure some would say it's about his contribution in other ways than scoring.

• Advertisement

Some future advise for you then... it does help to actually quote something when you refer to it over 100 posts and 40 minutes later in a busy match day tread. Stops it from looking like disingenuous backtracking later on, having coincidentally jumped in right when Suarez was brought up again . :pac:

Thanks for the advice. You still look silly.

glued wrote: »
    The main problem Argentina have is their manager. Sabella played a 4-3-3 throughout qualifying with Gago/Banega, Mascherano and Di Maria as the midfield three. Gago or Banega play a very important role in that side and in the first game he decides to tear up the system and try out a 3-5-2 with two wing backs in the first game. He played a center back as a wingback for 45 minutes. Quite bizarre. Playing Rojo at left back is acceptable but as a wing back is absolutely crazy stuff.

He then decides to revert back at half time against Bosnia to the 4-3-3. You have to wonder what kind of impact a sudden change of system has in the players. Surely if the manager tried to change it up then the players can't have too much faith in it. Argentina have lost their confidence. The most brutal of all schoolboy errors that Sabella made was not talking a replacement for Gago. Yes, Banega is out of form but he's still played well for Argentina and leaving him out really weakens the strength of the 4-3-3. Messi is by far the most important player but if Gago goes down they're pretty much kaput.

brought biglia is gago's replacement, banega is his own worst enemy. was worse than gago in the argie league this year for newells and turned up to the world cuo squad with a lung infection.

having seen lady gago in there today, i would be tempted to start biglio against nigeria, if that fails try maxi rodriguez who has played in that position for newells.

Thanks for the advice. You still look silly.
    No worries, because randomly responding to things from over 100 posts back is basically the equivalent of incoherently speaking to nobody. Its not really a good look.

Bye bye now. :)

No worries, because randomly responding to things from over 100 posts back is basically the equivalent of incoherently speaking to nobody. Its not really a good look.

Yep i am the one proven wrong here. "Literally". Jog on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You are the one that was proven wrong, get over it and move on.

Yep i am the one proven wrong here. "Literally". Jog on
    Not sure why you are getting snappy, I was just helping you understand what the "quote" function is for, whether or not you can add anything constructive to future conversation by using it is up to you.

Best of luck using it in all your future delayed responses! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Watched the game at work...delighted as it keeps my massive accumulator going but even more so for that goal from Messi...if you have to resort to to criticising his general play after a goal like that you're just being thick for the sake of it...what a f*cking goal lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Fair play to Messi, coming through with a great goal when it matters. Argentina as a unit though, still very unimpressive. Don't see them winning the competition st all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

glued wrote: »

Banega may be out of form but Gago and Biglia have hardly set the world alight at Boca or Lazio.

Neither have Banega's range of passing ability.

I have a feeling that Argentina will regret bringing him.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Messi, coming through with a great goal when it matters. Argentina as a unit though, still very unimpressive. Don't see them winning the competition st all.
    They certainly have massive issues all over the pitch. Makes me wonder how so many were saying they were looking in great form leading into the competition?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Lemonandice20

They certainly have massive issues all over the pitch. Makes me wonder how so many were saying they were looking in great form leading into the competition?

Agree with this, can someone who tipped Argentina to win the world cup explain their rationale?

Piliger wrote: »
    I wish they would scale back the 'genius' bo!!ox about Messi - as he has played so far anyway. I have seen 20+ goals like this in the premiership alone in the last season. It was a great goal ! But no genius, and lots of terrific players could have scored it. Lucky Argentina, I don't see them winning it on this form. But things can change.

I'd like to see these 20+ goals.... tbh I'd only see and have seen Suarez and Robben ever scoring a similar goal to the one we saw there with that much curve and precision and in that time frame as well. But no seriously enlighten me on the obvious BPL ones I'm clearly forgetting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Is that enough for the best play of his generation though? On performance in this competition I'd take Robben over Messi. There's no way Argentina are gonna win this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Amn't getting the time to watch the matches so I like reading through the threads to get an informed opinion of what went on, however, the constant vilification of andersonisgod is pathetic and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's been going on for some time now and I've always kept my mouth shut, but I feel it's getting to an unacceptable level now. Some people are just constantly attacking him (rather than his posts) and not only is it totally against the charter, it's despicable. It happens in nearly every thread he posts in, and while I don't like his style he's clearly not trolling. Whether people agree with him or not he deserves the respect of posting without getting attacked just because of his style. There is an ignore function for people to take advantage of, and I highly recommend some people take advantage of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think that the Argentina and Germany games yesterday, added to what has already happened in the tournament, has helped prove what I have always believed. That the so-called 'big' teams are not as good as they used to be and the gap between them and the lesser nations is closing, especially when they get themselves well organised, drilled and behind the ball.

We have seen big nations like Spain, England and Italy tumble against what were meant to be lesser teams. Argentina struggled to beat Iran, had it not been for one player, Germany could easily have lost to Ghana last night.

The likes of Costa Rica, Iran and Ghana are showing no fear now when playing these teams, and rightly so. Many of their opponents so-called 'stars' are overhyped and not as good as the media would have us believe. They don't seem to have the hunger of the underdogs.

For me this is the most open WC in a long time. No single team has looked better than any other. They rave about the Dutch, who then struggle against Australia. They have raved about France, but they were playing a pants Swiss team, who insanely are meant to be the 7th best team in the world.

If ever a team like Chile or Colombia were ever going to win the WC, this is their best chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I'd like to see these 20+ goals.... tbh I'd only see and have seen Suarez and Robben ever scoring a similar goal to the one we saw there with that much curve and precision and in that time frame as well. But no seriously enlighten me on the obvious BPL ones I'm clearly forgetting

Bale scored 2 or 3 the season before last (in the same time frame). Some were even better.

Bale scored 2 or 3 the season before last (in the same time frame). Some were even better.

Yeah actually Bale is another you're spot on there...still looking for all these BPL goals from the season just gone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Hopefully this finishes 0-0 at worst. Argentina deserve absolutely nothing. But given the football gods are cruel.. Messi 92nd minute winner and be heralded as a hero.. for beating Iran 1-0.

As you said..
    Yesterday, God was Argentine.
    Bqu8ebIIMAAeLtk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Oat23 wrote: »
    As you said..
    Yesterday, God was Argentine.
    Bqu8ebIIMAAeLtk.jpg

Things have changed since the were calling him 'the catalan'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

tigger123 wrote: »
    Is that enough for the best play of his generation though? On performance in this competition I'd take Robben over Messi. There's no way Argentina are gonna win this competition.

You may be proven right on that, but it's a mighty big call at this stage in the competition. If Messi keeps coming up with the goods I certainly wouldn't back against them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement