Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 quick questions

Options
  • 21-06-2014 4:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭

I put the pebbles in and now I have a feckin dirty water. Should this just clear in time. It looks crap.

Next the bog oak I got is bobbing at the top. Its a large piece. 1 eighth of the ttankso the whole thing is a mess right now :( when will this drop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes, the dirt will settle. Bog wood needs to get saturated before it will stay sunk by its self.

Are you able to tie it down or wedge it do it can't float?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Nope :( and all my plants are floating about now. They didnt stick to the gravel

Your plants should be either planted deep into the gravel or you should use lead straps to hold them down. Once the roots get established they won't go anywhere.

You need to either force the wood to stay at the bottom or else take it out and leave it soaking in a bath or something until it gets properly saturated.

Thanks fred.

The plants came away with the wood. Gonna stick the wood down or brace it somehow. My next priblem is the lights and the quickstart stuff. Ill get back to you on that!!

How long will it take a bit of bog oak to settle down in a tank? A day? A week?

• Advertisement

Depends on how big it is and how dry it is. I would leave it a couple of weeks anyway. It's very important to have patience when setting an aquarium up for the first time so don't be in a rush have the finished article straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

Is it definatly bogwood....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

Is it definatly bogwood....

I dunno. I never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

lolosaur wrote: »
    Nope :( and all my plants are floating about now. They didnt stick to the gravel

Bogwood can take up to 2 weeks to get waterlogged enough to stop sinking.
    Any type of wood takes time to saturate.

Best to do this in a bucket.

All gravel/wood/sand should be scrubbed and washed before adding to the tank.

It will settle in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

lolosaur wrote: »
    Thanks fred.

The plants came away with the wood. Gonna stick the wood down or brace it somehow. My next priblem is the lights and the quickstart stuff. Ill get back to you on that!!

What problems do you have with these?

And what kind of filter do you have running?

CruelCoin wrote: »
    What problems do you have with these?

And what kind of filter do you have running?

Candy floss, sponge and pebbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

took me almost 4 weeks before my wood started to sink, i had it soaking in a baby bath for that time and when it showed signs of sinking i boiled it for a few hours, sank to the bottom like a rock then

coming up on 2 weeks now. my pet piece of wood is pride of place in the tank. dont know if ill bother with fish, the wood floating around is waay cooler and a big talking point amongst friends.

Advertisement