Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Four different tyres on a second hand car purchased from dealer?

• 21-06-2014 5:13pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just purchased a car from a Dublin car dealership, stupidly only realised when we got home that there are four different tyres on the car.

The front has two different brands with two different tread patterns.

The rear has the same brand but two different tread patterns.

Does this sound right and more importantly, is it safe (especially in Winter) ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

If they're in the same size, you're OK, at least in terms of NCT, for example.

But you're absolutely unsafe, as different brands/tread patterns equal to different grip, even on dry and clean surface.

So, get rid of them asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

I like to match the tyres on the front axle, and match the tyres on the rear axle.

But the guy above is right - NCT doesn't care as long as they're the same size, e-marked and have legal tread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Just purchased a car from a Dublin car dealership, stupidly only realised when we got home that there are four different tyres on the car.

Thanks
    that's a disgrace

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks guys, am going to give the dealer a shout tomorrow but suspect as technically it's not illegal to have the tyres as they are it will be a case of if we want them replaced we'll have to cover the cost.

Eats in a bit to the discount we managed to haggle, it's a 12D reg from one of the bigger brand dealerships so am a bit suprised to see this (should have spotted it earlier I guess). Looking more closely the rear ones are actually the same, so it's the front ones that don't match.

Wouldn't have been a deal breaker as happy enough with everything else (just a bit of pain to have to spend money straight away to get them sorted).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

make sure they are matched pairs on front and back. if for example,one is a winter tyre and the other is normal/summer tyre it will fail nct.

• Advertisement

make sure they are matched pairs on front and back. if for example,one is a winter tyre and the other is normal/summer tyre it will fail nct.

Thanks - next NCT isn't due for another 2 years, reckon we'll change them before then.

Thanks guys, am going to give the dealer a shout tomorrow but suspect as technically it's not illegal to have the tyres as they are it will be a case of if we want them replaced we'll have to cover the cost.

Eats in a bit to the discount we managed to haggle, it's a 12D reg from one of the bigger brand dealerships so am a bit suprised to see this (should have spotted it earlier I guess). Looking more closely the rear ones are actually the same, so it's the front ones that don't match.

Wouldn't have been a deal breaker as happy enough with everything else (just a bit of pain to have to spend money straight away to get them sorted).
    hi,changed motor 2 yrs ago,windsor motors cork,new mats,4 tyres,service,tank of juice,12 months warranty,and didnt have to haggle much atall,and they stood over my 08 fabia for the year,also threw in 12 months rec membership,so go for gold boy,chances are the saleman didnt even notice the tyres,and if its a reputable garagethey will sort you out,good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks - next NCT isn't due for another 2 years, reckon we'll change them before then.
    Darwin award thinking there...

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    didnt know darwin worked at windsor motorworld,knew they were good but hey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i still have 1 winter tyre on front and passed with advisory be worn out in 9 months :D

• Advertisement

Car is a 12 reg so first NCT isn't due till 4 years after that, is that not correct? As I say not going to be waiting till then to replace them, just hoping it's not me paying for them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'd be going back and telling them it's a disgrace from a main dealership. Tell the sales manager you'll directly contact the brand (bmw or whatever) and inform them of what's going on unless there's 4 matched premium tyres put on at their expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It it was an old banger I'd expected something like that (and as long as all tyres have plenty thread I wouldn't worry) but from a dealer and an almost new car I'd expect more tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I posted the same thing a while ago and I was told it was grand!

All mine are different brands too :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

....it's a 12D reg....

Is the D somehow significant? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's was SHE said.

badumtish

Not at all! Waiting to hear back from the dealer...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The four odd tires is so typically Irish, along with not balancing the rear wheels, hammering new weights over the old ones, putting warped wheels on the back, using different rims,mixing different alloys and usually one steel rim, buying Triangle tires, doing only front tracking and so forth.
    The worst I've ever seen was bigger radius tires in the rear and to stop the front scraping on the ground, bits of wood wedged into the front springs.
    When it comes to wheels and suspension, Ireland is not as progressive as, for example Bolivia, Chad or India.

When it comes to wheels and suspension, Ireland is not as progressive as, for example Bolivia, Chad or India.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sober Too

Thanks

Any chance of a name and shame here , I`d want to give that sort of a dealer a very wide tyre berth !!

• Advertisement

I don't think its such a huge deal to be honest. As long as the tyres are the right size and in good nick, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Jesus. wrote: »
    I don't think its such a huge deal to be honest. As long as the tyres are the right size and in good nick, you'll be fine.

We can't all rise from the dead (allegedly). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Tyres with different thread pattern within the axle are legal in Ireland and UK.
    Probably nowhere else in EU.

Buying a car with 4 different tyres from a dealer, I'd rather think dealer is taking a p1ss if it's fairly new car.

Taking the car back in on Thursday (first available day I can get it in there) so they can have a look, going to try and ask for a set of 4 matching tyres given the age of the car (if you don't ask you don't get etc).

Won't name and shame yet, will give them a chance to fix it, in fairness the guy didn't hesitate to say bring it back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

As long as the front were matching and rear were matching im not bothered.

everything works in a predictable manner. Unless its triangles then you've probably already went over a ditch

Eg iv all continentals on the new van. But im not fond of contis.

so ill be putting goodyears on as they wear out. New goodyears to front. Contis I dislike to rear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

So if I get a blowout and replace the tyre with whatever's available my car is suddenly unsafe?

Once I have 4 decent tyres what's the issue? There wouldn't be many cars on winter tyres in Ireland either I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If they do agree to put new tyres I'd wager that they will put on the least expensive new tyres available in that size, probably some unknown Chinese muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Taking the car back in on Thursday (first available day I can get it in there) so they can have a look, going to try and ask for a set of 4 matching tyres given the age of the car (if you don't ask you don't get etc).

Won't name and shame yet, will give them a chance to fix it, in fairness the guy didn't hesitate to say bring it back in.
    The chances of them changing the tyres are slim tbh. You should have copped the tyres before you bought then you could have bargained with them.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    So if I get a blowout and replace the tyre with whatever's available my car is suddenly unsafe?

Once I have 4 decent tyres what's the issue? There wouldn't be many cars on winter tyres in Ireland either I imagine.

Its not hard to get the same tire. Leave the spare on for a few days if you have to order one. Its not hard

And most supplyers tend to stock a few choice brands so back to the garage you got it and theres a high chance he'll have another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Some tyres go out of production, I have to search very hard to get what I want, there's only 1 supplier within a 50km radius of me, who doesn't always have them in stock. You're also assuming every car is supplied with a spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Different compounds, different grip levels, different wear levels, different tread patterns.

The tyres pretty much lose their effectiveness in areas they're supposed to be good at. Aquaplaning is more likely, car will be more unsettled cornering and braking.

I'd also hazard a guess that an insurance assessor would take a dim view of it.

Some tyres go out of production, I have to search very hard to get what I want, there's only 1 supplier within a 50km radius of me, who doesn't always have them in stock. You're also assuming every car is supplied with a spare.

Actually, its a good thing to have 4 different tires on your car. It's best if you mix rain, sport, winter and off-road tires, that way you will always have one tire that will get you out of any given situation, I say go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Actually, its a good thing to have 4 different tires on your car. It's best I'd you mix rain, sport, winter and off-road tires, that way you will always have one tire that will get you out of any given situation, I say go for it!

Yeah it's all the rage in the WRC nowaday. When the weather is a big dodgy and hard to predict the drives put different compounds in opposite corners. Something to cope with everything.

I heard Vettel will do it to win the next race.

When I go to buy a car and there's 4 odd tires on it, its not only unsafe, but its a sign that the owner and the the garage maintaining it didn't really care about it or knew what they're doing. That means that other repairs and maintenance where carried out in a careless and slap-dash manner.

• Advertisement

My guess is that this car had all four wheels stolen at some stage, and it was re-wheeled on the cheap from various breakers.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

My guess is that this car had all four wheels stolen at some stage, and it was re-wheeled on the cheap from various breakers.

...or, the tires on the car were still in fairly good shape when it was sold, so good in fact that "somebody" at some point (either previous owner or dealer) decided to keep them and fir the car with whatever was available in the scrap pile...being suspicious is a bad thing, but it turns out to be right sooooo often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    ...or, the tires on the car were still in fairly good shape when it was sold, so good in fact that "somebody" at some point (either previous owner or dealer) decided to keep them and fir the car with whatever was available in the scrap pile...being suspicious is a bad thing, but it turns out to be right sooooo often.

The OP said it is just a front axle where 2 different tires were put on (the thread title is a bit misleading).

Wouldn't worry me a bit. I do, personally, prefer to have the same brand on each axle, but if one had to change a 150 tire, I doubt you would go for 2 brand new ones when only one needs to be replaced due to a puncture or a damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

So, if I have 4 matching half worn tyres on my car and I get a puncture on the sidewall of 1 tyre, even if I get the same tyre as the other 3, I will have a discrepancy of grip between tyres and the new tyre will also be higher than the rest.

wonski wrote: »
    The OP said it is just a front axle where 2 different tires were put on (the thread title is a bit misleading).

Wouldn't worry me a bit. I do, personally, prefer to have the same brand on each axle, but if one had to change a 150 tire, I doubt you would go for 2 brand new ones when only one needs to be replaced due to a puncture or a damage.
    No, according to the OP, all four tyres are different. Two, on the same axle, are the same brand but have different treads.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

No, according to the OP, all four tyres are different. Two, on the same axle, are the same brand but have different treads.

Yes and then later in the thread the OP says that they were mistaken about the different patterns on the rear and they are in fact a matching pair.

So the only issue here is that the tyres on the front are different brands.

Oops, missed that! :o

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andrew1300r

biko wrote: »
    It it was an old banger I'd expected something like that (and as long as all tyres have plenty thread I wouldn't worry) but from a dealer and an almost new car I'd expect more tbh.

I guarantee the dealer didn't change any tyres on the car if they were any good & I bet it was traded in that way..so it was mr joe public putting on different tyres ..why would a dealer go to the expense of changing perfectly good tyres when there is no need?! Typical anti dealer attitude of "I'd expect more " Nothing wrong or misleading done on that transaction between retailer & customer .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Yes and then later in the thread the OP says that they were mistaken about the different patterns on the rear and they are in fact a matching pair.

So the only issue here is that the tyres on the front are different brands.
    Ah then just swap the matching ones onto the front
    Be grand like.

Thanks for the comments guys, couldn't get in to the dealer before we went away on holiday.

Went in yesterday morning, they say they are going to sort it out with new tyres (although couldn't do it on the spot), will post another update once its sorted (hopefully this week).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Thanks for the comments guys, couldn't get in to the dealer before we went away on holiday.

Went in yesterday morning, they say they are going to sort it out with new tyres (although couldn't do it on the spot), will post another update once its sorted (hopefully this week).

Good result provided they don't fit cheap Chinese ditchfinders.

Got a new front tyre from the dealer so that now matches.

So in summary - two different brands used overall but matching on the front and matching on the back (if that makes sense).

Thanks for the advice/feedback

Advertisement