Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potential Insurance savings

• 21-06-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭

Renewed my insurance yesterday with Carol Nash. Thing was I renewed it 48 hours after the previous policy expired. So the guy on the phone tells me that the underwriter considers me to be new business and will be sending me a €50 rebate cheque in the post sometime in the next 90 days which was a welcome surprise. If I had of renewed it when it was up then I wouldn't be getting the €50 back. The underwriter was a company called Aegeus I think.

Also as part of the policy I'm now insured to drive other bikes which I never had before, it's a new one for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

The entire market is four companies. Takes half an hour a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

Since when did all those companies start doing motorbike insurance?
    I thought there were only 4 bike insurers in Ireland, Carol Nash, Liberty, Adelaide and Mce. Afaik Aon pulled out last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

crap. :mad: renewed my policy with carol nash/aegeus on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭gipi

jvan wrote: »
    Since when did all those companies start doing motorbike insurance?
    I thought there were only 4 bike insurers in Ireland, Carol Nash, Liberty, Adelaide and Mce. Afaik Aon pulled out last year.

AON were brokers for AXA - the business was transferred to AXA so they're still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

jersman wrote: »
    4 companies??

To name but a few Zurich, Aviva, Allianz, AIG, AXA, FBD, Liberty then the broker companies whom I have never received the lowest quote from 123, Chill and NoNonsense.

That is a few more than 4 and even if it only takes you 30 mins to find your insurance not everyone has 30 mins to spare and not everyone would be getting straightforward insurance.

Anyway I'm just highlighting a company that can save people money. You don't have to use them if it's already easy for you, but you never know there could still be more of a saving out there for you!

The problem is the insurance companies know a lot of people don't bother shopping around so they can quote high and for the odd person in one that questions it they lower it making it seem like they are giving you a deal but more than likely you could still do better elsewhere.

It's a pity there are not more companies like lowestquote.ie who are willing to take them on.

You seem to be quite fond of this company, seen a few posts by you promoting them! cool.png Which of the above mentioned insurers insure motorbikes, did you even notice this was in the motorbikes section or did it just show up in you "insurance" search?
    jersman wrote: »
    Also try lowestquote.ie. They are independent and search the entire market for the lowest quote. So if you don't have the time or patience to go ringing around they will do that for you. Big savings to be made with them and they only charge a small fee if they can find you a saving.

No thanks, let them ring around the handful of insurers in Ireland deal with motorbikes and then pay them for it! eek.png

lowestquote.ie
    The fee for our lowest quote service is 30% of the saving we find you (capped at €50). If it is not possible to save you money there is no fee.
    In addition, if it is not possible to save you more than €20, there will also be no fee and you will still receive the lowest quote details from us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Renewed my insurance yesterday with Carol Nash. Thing was I renewed it 48 hours after the previous policy expired. So the guy on the phone tells me that the underwriter considers me to be new business and will be sending me a €50 rebate cheque in the post sometime in the next 90 days which was a welcome surprise. If I had of renewed it when it was up then I wouldn't be getting the €50 back. The underwriter was a company called Aegeus I think.

Also as part of the policy I'm now insured to drive other bikes which I never had before, it's a new one for me.

After you waited for it to expire did they give you the insurance at the same price as they quoted in your renewal letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I actually never opened the letter as their quote by phone was already €50 lower then what I paid last year. They rang when the renewal letter was sent out so I can only presume the €265 they were talking about then was the same as the letter. When I rang up 2 days later and gave the broker reference number they €265 quote came up and that's what they were giving me, except now it came with a €50 rebate whereas it didn't before.

I was also rung up by Adelaide who offered me a policy at €215, which was €50 cheaper than Carol Nash, however when we went through the ins and outs I found out it didn't include any roadside assistance so for me I stayed with Carol Nash as I've had to use the roadside assist service at least once a year since I've been with them, it's invaluable on an insurance policy IMO.

I received my renewal letter. Which contains 2 quotes, one from Ageas and one from another company. My renewal with ageas is E20 dearer than last year and the other quote is 57 cheaper, the only issue being the second quote has a stupidly high excess of nearly 400! I will probably go with axa instead as I can get fully comp for E10 dearer than CN cheapest offer. Finding it impossible to get my insurance down these days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The bottom seems to be around 200-250 per year. Thats not bad.

The bottom seems to be around 200-250 per year. Thats not bad.

For the quote or the excess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

chasm wrote: »
    For the quote or the excess?

Quote I'd say.
    I got a quote of €180 off liberty last year for 3rd party only on a 05 Cbr1000rr

blade1 wrote: »
    Quote I'd say.
    I got a quote of €180 off liberty last year for 3rd party only on a 05 Cbr1000rr

That was cheap! Do you have a car policy with them as well ? I thought as I got older and my no claims increased I might see quotes like that but no joy :( Not sure what it is that keeps the price up in my case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I got mine down by over €100 playing hard ball.....insurance companies will try everything the swines.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHPhoto

I've been ringing all 4 companies every year, and Adelaide always come in the cheapest

Advertisement