Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5k fun run

Options
  • 21-06-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi my nan has roped me into organising a fun run with her, she hasndt a clue about it so im nearly doing everything. its going to a local event so trying to keep the cost to a bare min as we are raising money for a local charity. i have been asking other people for advise but im looking for more as im very confused.

1. Insurance, whats is the story with insurance can a club cover it, or a chaity or a permit, or what ????

2. Prizes we were thinking prizes for first man women and child to finish just for a bit of fun, is it the norm or

3 altough its a fun run we were thinking of having a fun people timing the run and have them mark peoples times as they finish. can anyone give me dvise as to how its done

thanks for any help anyone can give me
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

ky91 wrote: »
    hi my nan has roped me into organising a fun run with her, she hasndt a clue about it so im nearly doing everything. its going to a local event so trying to keep the cost to a bare min as we are raising money for a local charity. i have been asking other people for advise but im looking for more as im very confused.

1. Insurance, whats is the story with insurance can a club cover it, or a chaity or a permit, or what ????

2. Prizes we were thinking prizes for first man women and child to finish just for a bit of fun, is it the norm or

3 altough its a fun run we were thinking of having a fun people timing the run and have them mark peoples times as they finish. can anyone give me dvise as to how its done

If your organising any run that hopes to attract club runners or even just casual runners you will certainly need to record times and publish results on social media or website. You will also need an accurately measured course. You will get away with wheel or garmin measurement. Safety is obviously the number one priority, so plenty of people to marshal the course would be important if using busy public roads. Prizes are up to yourself and vary from cash to boxes of chocolates or wine. There are plenty of competent experienced race directors on this forum so hopefully they will pitch in with advice for you and this gets you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

ky91 wrote: »

Go to your local friendly athletics club, and ask them nicely if they would be willing to help you with the permit, they can supply you one for a fee of 100euros. There might have been some rule change on this lately however, I know AAI are trying to tighten up on it

Yep, state straight out its a fun run, with those prizes. The norm I guess would be the top 3 men and women at least, but often easy enough to source these prizes, go to local businesses and ask them for a gift voucher as a prize, in exchange for some free publicity.

yeh, better to give everyone a race time and result, however this is quite easy to do. You will need a stopwatch with a decent recall function, ie be able to store 100 times, or whatever number do the race. Then you need two people at the end of the race funnel (which is just afew cones and tape past the finishline, forcing the athletes into a single line). One person calls out the bib numbers, the other person has a clipboard and writes them down. After the race you match up the bib numbers with times from the stopwatch, and put in the names from the registration sheets

Other than that, I'd say be careful about not overlapping with any other races within say 10miles, the calendar is flooded at the minute, look on the likes of runireland.com, or http://lindienaughton.com/ for up coming races in your local area.

Advertisement