Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysitter / Mindme.ie

Options
  • 21-06-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Has anyone used mindme.ie to find a babysitter. What did you think. We have a 3 month old and a 2 year old. We don't know any local teenagers etc and all our siblings have their own kids. MIL will babysit but prefers to take them in her own house overnight as also fosters and minds her other grandkids too. I don't mind this every now and again but not every time we want someone to mind them if we are only going somewhere for a few hours. Im also a little nervous leaving 3 month old . Well leaving both of them with someone I don't really know..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Hi, I'm a childminder and know people who use sites like mindme.ie (a lot use Gumtree.ie too). I haven't heard anything really negative- Sometimes it doesn't work out (people don't click, can;t agree on pay etc), but generally it's great.

What you can do is post what you are looking for and you should get responses- especially around summer with students looking for work.
    They will tell you their experience- so if you want you can specifically ask for somebody with experience of newborns/babies. Make sure to ask for, and check up on references too!
    If you see somebody you are impressed with, arrange a meeting (usually in your home, but can be in a park/cafe if you prefer). This is where you can get a feel for the person, and see how they interact with your children. Feel free to ask them about previous jobs etc.
    I would say here a lot of it is about using your gut instinct to sense if you can rely on them.
    After this, parents usually organize a day where the babysitter can spend time with the kids with the parents there, so they can get to know them. After that, you can start leaving them to it- maybe just a couple of hours at first and then for whatever you need.
    It's natural that you would feel a bit anxious about leaving your children, but once you get to know your sitter it'll feel very normal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Haven't used those, but have you asked at the local creches?

I'd be a little bit iffy about the internet for this one. Would prefer to know the person, or at least have a solid recommendation from someone I trust.

The girls in our creche do babysitting, which is great as they all have childcare qualifications, experience, and know our eldest daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

OK so we have been invited to a friends party Saturday. MIL said she will take the kids but as I said I don't want to have to send them out overnight especially as she will have them next weekend anyway (we are off to a concert). Been asking around about babysitters . My niece who has babysat before (shes 17) now has her own baba (6 weeks) so shes out but she has recommended her friends mother. I don't know this woman ( I know her daughter though, she has stayed in my house with my neice, nice girl) She is always offering to babysit for my niece (although she hasn't taken her up on it yet). my niece said she would leave her son with her. Said she is a lovely woman.
    What do people think. I duno, i'm a little funny about it. OH thinks it be grand but id prefer more time to speak to her and get to know her. Shes 41, has kids of her own, now teenagers and my niece said she loves kids. I just thought why would a 41 yr old want to babysit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Suucee wrote: »
    OK so we have been invited to a friends party Saturday. MIL said she will take the kids but as I said I don't want to have to send them out overnight especially as she will have them next weekend anyway (we are off to a concert). Been asking around about babysitters . My niece who has babysat before (shes 17) now has her own baba (6 weeks) so shes out but she has recommended her friends mother. I don't know this woman ( I know her daughter though, she has stayed in my house with my neice, nice girl) She is always offering to babysit for my niece (although she hasn't taken her up on it yet). my niece said she would leave her son with her. Said she is a lovely woman.
    What do people think. I duno, i'm a little funny about it. OH thinks it be grand but id prefer more time to speak to her and get to know her. Shes 41, has kids of her own, now teenagers and my niece said she loves kids. I just thought why would a 41 yr old want to babysit.

Maybe she needs the money

eviltwin wrote: »
    Maybe she needs the money

Thought exactly that after I posted.

I obviously haven't got speaking to her yet. but whats peoples opinions on it. It would be handy to have someone other than MIL . and I suppose we have to start some where. but im still a bit iffy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thought exactly that after I posted.

I obviously haven't got speaking to her yet. but whats peoples opinions on it. It would be handy to have someone other than MIL . and I suppose we have to start some where. but im still a bit iffy about it.

Could you meet her before hand and have a chat, see what she is like and what your gut tells you? I don't think I would feel comfortable leaving my child with someone I hadn't met, or the child hadn't met for that matter, I think a meeting so she meets the child, I meet her and we can break the ice would help.

Oh god yea. Would deffinetly need to meet her first but still if I meet her I only have tomorrow to meet her then its sat night I'd need her. And what if im not comfortable how do I say no thanks. Maybe I could say MIL is taking them I suppose.

Ok so going to meet her tomorrow. Have a chat and take it from there. If not happy just going to say MIL doing it. BTW whats the going rate for a babysitter from about 9-1. For 2 yr old (will be asleep all the time) and 3 month old (will need a bottle and change). She said we can discuss that tomorrow but i dont even know what kind of price were looking at. Im in the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

If she has raised a teenager who is a nice young woman, then clearly this woman knows how to care for children and while I'm not a parent, I would be more inclined to leave my two young children with someone who is very experienced, over a teenager who might not have a clue.

So met her friday. I was happy enough and toddler took a huge shine to her. Wanted to hold her hand coming down the stairs and all. Turned out both my MIL and SIL know her so i was really at ease. So headed out saturday (mil wasnt happy she didnt have to mind them but she wil have them friday night). At least we have someone else other than relying on her all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi I just want it to be know that I got a girl from this website and she let me down badly. There was only one week left for her to work over the summer months and she decided not to show up on Monday morning sending me a text late sunday evening. Apparently she wasnt getting enough hours work from me which she never mentioned during her previous four weeks with us. we verbally agreed the date and she was aware that the hours would differ from day to day. I just have to warn people that they have to be carefull. I lost a weeks wages and nearly my job because I couldnt get anyone else at such short notice.

Advertisement