Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on becoming an independent PT

• 21-06-2014 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Squat Rack Curler

Basically, I'm interested in becoming an independent PT and want to know where to start and how to become successful.

I have the knowledge and I am very confident in my abilities, however, I'm struggling to figure out how to approach getting clients.

Right now, I am considering operating from a Facebook page and posting about nutrition, training, etc. from basics to advanced whilst also offering PT services. Does this sound like a good idea?

I don't believe that one's body proves that they are knowledgeable but my body is somewhat impressive, should I post a picture/transformation on said Facebook page?

I'd really appreciate any input from people, especially advice from independent PTs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

In the eyes of the general public, if you have a good body you must be knowledgeable. I know a few guys who aren't even qualified as PT's but have set up their own FB pages and have got hundreds of followers. As soon as they get qualified they'll have dozens of clients right away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

how do you think an independent solicitor, coffee shop etc gets new business? Its not a fitness thing its business.

provide good content that is focused on attracting the type of clients you want, get somewhere to work from asap, intern with a trainer you like/admire, start reading and listening to more business material than fitness (90% of all trainers fail at this).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Squat Rack Curler

CM24 wrote: »
    In the eyes of the general public, if you have a good body you must be knowledgeable. I know a few guys who aren't even qualified as PT's but have set up their own FB pages and have got hundreds of followers. As soon as they get qualified they'll have dozens of clients right away.
    Thanks for input
    Transform wrote: »
    how do you think an independent solicitor, coffee shop etc gets new business? Its not a fitness thing its business.

provide good content that is focused on attracting the type of clients you want, get somewhere to work from asap, intern with a trainer you like/admire, start reading and listening to more business material than fitness (90% of all trainers fail at this).
    How do you go about getting somewhere to work? Is it not as simple as meeting up with a client a gym or must u notify the gym beforehand?

Cant get a job in a gym so theres slim chance of interning with a trainer

Thanks for response

How do you go about getting somewhere to work? Is it not as simple as meeting up with a client a gym or must u notify the gym beforehand?

If you mean showing up at a random gym they'll kick you out when they see what you're up to

Don't forget insurance...?

bluewolf wrote: »
    If you mean showing up at a random gym they'll kick you out when they see what you're up to

Damn, im guessing you have to pay the gym to use their facilities to train then?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Damn, im guessing you have to pay the gym to use their facilities to train then?

Bingo. Bit mad really right?

Hanley wrote: »
    Bingo. Bit mad really right?

Not sure if sarcasm but i think it is mad

I was under the impression that aslong as trainer and client had memberships it was ok :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

No definitely not, why should a trainer get benefit financially from using a gym without paying any of the overheads?

Tigger99 wrote: »
    No definitely not, why should a trainer get benefit financially from using a gym without paying any of the overheads?

That's true i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭COH

I was under the impression that aslong as trainer and client had memberships it was ok :/

Most gyms do one of three things:

A) They don't allow external PTs at all.
    B) They allow external PTs who pay on a per session (less likely) or per month (more likely) basis. Monthly rates anywhere from 250-1000e depending on the fine print (how many clients you have, what gym it is, what you charge yourself etc.)
    c) Allow PTs to operate in return for running the gyms classes or shift work aka flyefit

• Advertisement

COH wrote: »
    Most gyms do one of three things:

A) They don't allow external PTs at all.
    B) They allow external PTs who pay on a per session (less likely) or per month (more likely) basis. Monthly rates anywhere from 250-1000e depending on the fine print (how many clients you have, what gym it is, what you charge yourself etc.)
    c) Allow PTs to operate in return for running the gyms classes or shift work aka flyefit

Thanks, do you reckon it would just be better to work in a gym? I've had no luck so far but those costs seem steep enough and I can't imagine accruing a massive client base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If both have of you have a membership then nothing should stop you training someone in that gym.

If both have of you have a membership then nothing should stop you training someone in that gym.

Apart from the management...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

In the gym I go to I've seen PTs with clients quite a few times. Obviously they both paid in but if the implication here is that the PT has to pay the gym extra just because he's teaching someone then either it's going over the managements heads or they don't seem to care.

What's the difference between a PT + client both paying in and 2 friends, one of which is significantly more knowledgeable than the other, going in and basically doing the exact same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

What's the difference between a PT + client both paying in and 2 friends, one of which is significantly more knowledgeable than the other, going in and basically doing the exact same thing?

The difference is that there is money changing hands.

The difference is that you are charging for a service in an environment where that service is regulated.

Would you go to a restaurant to sell your own food just because you made a reservation?

The other factor is that for the most part PTs are representatives of the establishment whether directly or indirectly. Why would management allow someone to charge for a service if they cant guarantee that the service is up to par?

What if a staff member loses a client to someone who shouldn't be on site? Is it fair for them to allow extra competition into an already highly competitive environment?

What if someone gets injured working with someone who is not insured to offer the service on the premises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

COH wrote: »
    Apart from the management...

Would most gym have it in their terms and conditions that you can't do it?

Would most gym have it in their terms and conditions that you can't do it?

Most gyms also don't specify that you cant commit war crimes either but it doesn't mean you can go purging the cardio area

In the gym I go to I've seen PTs with clients quite a few times. Obviously they both paid in but if the implication here is that the PT has to pay the gym extra just because he's teaching someone then either it's going over the managements heads or they don't seem to care.

I did bring a knowledgeable friend in and my gym told us to cut it out "no PTs". They wouldn't listen
    hmph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

bluewolf wrote: »
    I did bring a knowledgeable friend in and my gym told us to cut it out "no PTs". They wouldn't listen
    hmph
    op needs to learn more about the industry and as mentioned go intern

• Advertisement
Advertisement