Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexpected Registered letter

Options
  • 21-06-2014 8:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

HI,not sure if this is the right place for this so apologies if it needs to be bumped.

Long story short I got a notice in the door on Friday morning saying there was a registered letter waiting for me down the local sorting office as there was no one home at time of attempted delivery.I wasnt expecting anything and as I cannot collect it until the next working day (Monday) its doing my head in as to what it is.Motoring fines dont come by registered post as far as I know and my vehicle is fully legit on the road so it cant be that.I put the tracking number into the AnPost website and it shows it was posted in my home town,now someone told me court summons come via reg psot but Iv not been in any trouble or even contact with the gardai over anything and there isnt a courthouse in my town so assume its not that also.I was on Social Welfare so could it be from my local office there?Or fas? Although im pretty sure they send all their correspondence from their head offices so cant see it being them either.Im stumped.Any ideas as to what it could be?Suspense is killing me!! lol

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Also Iv no kids or estranged exes or anyone iv fallen out or had any incidents with that might prompt a solicitors letter from anyone locally,has my head fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you still on SW or is that past tense? I believe the new "sign on within x days" letters they send out at random are registered.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Any government offices in your home town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

dbagman wrote: »
    HI,not sure if this is the right place for this so apologies if it needs to be bumped.

Long story short I got a notice in the door on Friday morning saying there was a registered letter waiting for me down the local sorting office as there was no one home at time of attempted delivery.I wasnt expecting anything and as I cannot collect it until the next working day (Monday) its doing my head in as to what it is.Motoring fines dont come by registered post as far as I know and my vehicle is fully legit on the road so it cant be that.I put the tracking number into the AnPost website and it shows it was posted in my home town,now someone told me court summons come via reg psot but Iv not been in any trouble or even contact with the gardai over anything and there isnt a courthouse in my town so assume its not that also.I was on Social Welfare so could it be from my local office there?Or fas? Although im pretty sure they send all their correspondence from their head offices so cant see it being them either.Im stumped.Any ideas as to what it could be?Suspense is killing me!! lol

Could be from a Nigerian lottery telling you that you have won €25m, which will be paid when you send them your bank account details!

Social welfare don't use registered letters, but solicitors (maybe an inheritance?) do although there seems no obvious reason why any of them should write to you. Personally I would simply ignore it -- if the sender really needs to contact you they will do so. I never accept registered letters without knowing who the sender is.

MYOB wrote: »
    Are you still on SW or is that past tense? I believe the new "sign on within x days" letters they send out at random are registered.

what are they mate? Yeah Im back on it now again alright,but again Im pretty sure they send all correspondence from the head office in ballyfermot.Unless its something to do with my medical card?Wernt they taking them off people or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Same thing happened to me last week. Was my former insurance company confirming the end of cover.

Spocker wrote: »
    Any government offices in your home town?

nothing other than the local social welfare and fas offices,but they are both only field offices,dont think they send letters from them

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

ART6 wrote: »
    Social welfare don't use registered letters, but solicitors (maybe an inheritance?) do although there seems no obvious reason why any of them should write to you. Personally I would simply ignore it -- if the sender really needs to contact you they will do so. I never accept registered letters without knowing who the sender is.

Kinda poor advice there; if it is a solicitor trying to get in touch, a letter (registered or otherwise) is how they are going to do it.

Regardless of whatever speculation we engage in, the OP is the only person who can collect the letter and find out it's contents - it's unlikely to be someone having a laugh ;)

MarkR wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me last week. Was my former insurance company confirming the end of cover.

I thought that too as i got stung with the setanta insurance collapse,but they dont have offices in maynooth do they??

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Tv license warning letter ?

• Advertisement

Spocker wrote: »
    Kinda poor advice there; if it is a solicitor trying to get in touch, a letter (registered or otherwise) is how they are going to do it.

Regardless of whatever speculation we engage in, the OP is the only person who can collect the letter and find out it's contents - it's unlikely to be someone having a laugh ;)

well my initial thought was its not someone sending me a birthday card.its most likely bad news,but as iv stated before iv had no gripes with anyone in the locality so cant see why it would be from a solicitor.And as far as inheritance goes iv a large family so Id of known about it.

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Tv license warning letter ?

im in rented accomodation with a valid TV licence thats not even in my name so not that,

also this letter has arrived at my mums house which i havnt lived in for years so isnt anything related to my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's probably the local FAS office inviting you to a meeting

When I was on the dole I got a letter and the name and phone number of a coordinator there

I know you say all letters come from HQ but a fair chance it's your local office

*subscribes to thread as I gotta know on Monday :D *

mikemac1 wrote: »
    It's probably the local FAS office inviting you to a meeting

When I was on the dole I got a letter and the name and phone number of a coordinator there

I know you say all letters come from HQ but a fair chance it's your local office

i only had a meeting down there about a month ago mate,thought that myself but hardly another one so soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Maybe I'm missing something here but what is the big deal? Collect it Monday and find out. It's just a registered letter. Most I get are good news or to my advantage. As for ignoring it - that will achieve nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This isn't a Consumer Issue. You're just going to have to wait until Monday to collect the letter. Anything is speculation.

Closing this thread
    dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement