Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Analytics Courses in Ireland

Options
  • 21-06-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Does anyone have info or feedback on the Data Visualization course in IADT:

www.[iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/FacultiesCourses/FacultyofFilmArtCreativeTechnologies/CertificateinDataVisualisation/]

I've completed a H-Dip in DA which covered a lot of predictive material but we didn't cover much by way of visualisation.

I'm wondering what I can expect from this course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hi Duke!

I had a quick read of the course description. It doesn't strike me as the most exciting thing in the World being honest:
    Representing data in one, two and higher dimensions - I guess here they are talking about data granularity - read up on some kimball and understanding the lowest grain.

Apply best practice principles for the graphical communication of data - I would say these best practices are widely available - check out the learning resources threads.

Explore data sets using dynamic and interactive software tools - If you want to start exploring data sets, download a free trial of software like Tableau Desktop (14 days, free licence if you are a student). They come with packaged data-sets so you can explore

History, current trends and emerging themes in data visualisation - again, loads of widely available info

There is nothing in the above that you won't be able to get in a good book. Even the dummies guide is a great read and gives you all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Duke of Moral Hazard

Hi Keith,

many thanks for your insights and impressions. I guess i could easily skip this couse and not miss much. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any reviews of the course on-line so that has me skeptical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hi Keith,

many thanks for your insights and impressions. I guess i could easily skip this couse and not miss much. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any reviews of the course on-line so that has me skeptical.

That's my feeling on it too unfortunately. Nothing stopping you from calling them and pressing them a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I did Andy Kirk's day course when he was here a little while back. While it's not certified, I'd still recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Duke of Moral Hazard

Calina wrote: »
    I did Andy Kirk's day course when he was here a little while back. While it's not certified, I'd still recommend it.

Cheers Calina,

What kind of stuff did you cover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Cheers Calina,

What kind of stuff did you cover?

Yeah would certainly be interested in hearing about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hi: this is his course training page: http://visualisingdata.com/index.php/training/

What I found particularly useful were some of the resources he provided as well, particularly in terms of the different visualisation types. It's a one day course but a useful door opener I think.

It's not software specific though so if you were looking to learn ggplot2 via R, or D3, it's not really the right course for you.

Advertisement