Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice from runners

• 21-06-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi. I'm a 200lb woman who has started a weight loss/fitness journey in the last couple of months. In the last 3weeks I have started doing a 5k run/walk mix 3 or 4 times a week. My best time covering this distance is 45 mins. While I still find the running tough I feel ive caught the running bug.
    There is a local 10k charity run coming up at the end of august that I am tempted to enter. Am I fooling myself? Am I too new to running? Too unfit at my weight? Or does anyone think I could get a plan together in this space of time and complete the run in a respectable amount of time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

More often than not, it's setting out at a pace that's too fast for you that gets you, whether you're running a 5k, 10k or a marathon.

Don't focus too much on the time just yet. Have you tried any running programs like c25k yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mmcd88

I started c25k but then my smart phone got smashed so ive been improvising doing my own run then walk routine. Im just looking for some tips going forward toward this run as I know nothing about training plans. Or is 10k in august too ambitious for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Congratualtions on getting started and good luck with your plan, Keep it up. It will work in the end.

Alf is right, I doesn't matter how slow you are going, run at the pace that you are comfortable at. Keep it up 3/4 times a week and you will make gains.

Having a goal race is a great idea, It will focus you and get you out when you don't feel like it.

All the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just run at a rate you're comfortable at. It's your first 10k so just focuses not running it and concern yourself with beating the time next time.

Look up the progression of the c25k and use that as a basis.

You're well able to do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Yes you will be able to do 10 km by August if you continue getting out 4 times a week. Aim to run as slow as you can for as long as you can, forget about speed that will improve with time. When you need to walk just walk for as long as it takes to get your breath back and run slowly again. For 1 run a week aim to increase your run by 1 km. Its great you have found an exercise you enjoy, that's half the battle, stick with it and good luck. You could also google a beginners plan for 10km, having a definite plan helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 mmcd88

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. Im gonna sign up today. Yikes!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just my 2c. I'd probably turn one of your runs purely in to a walk. As you're only starting out and training 4 times/week your risk of injuring or tweeking something is a bit higher.

Try focus on quality over quantity keep aiming to jog/run a 5k but as I was saying above turn one of the runs into a long walk perhaps at the weekend until this becomes a jog/run.

At the minute I'd concentrate on 5k then start upping the distances around mid July once you've managed to jog/run 5k. The guide is to increase by 10% each week so that should see you in and around 10k come your 10k race?

The key is not to do to much and rest is very important aswell. Also cycling/swimming will help shift the weight and it's easier on the joints.

Congrats on comittting to making a change for the better. You'll be well able for 10k if you keep consistently getting out the door. Good Luck

Advertisement