Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom light fitting... is it special?

Options
  • 21-06-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Do you have to put a special light fitting in the bathroom?

Or could I put a chandelier up in the ensuite?

It would be in a 2.4m high room (shower head 2+ meters away) no bath.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

househero wrote: »
    Do you have to put a special light fitting in the bathroom?

Or could I put a chandelier up in the ensuite?

It would be in a 2.4m high room (shower head 2+ meters away) no bath.

Has too have a sufficient IP rating for steam and moisture. Ask in your local wholesalers about suitable bathroom lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

I guess thats why the one in there at the moment has a rubber gasket. It looks dud though. I bet an ip rated chandelier (if one exists) will be $$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

At a minimum it must be IP 54

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

At 2 metres away you are into Zone 3 where high IP ratings are only required if you are likely to washing the area with jets of water (would probably apply to wet rooms)

Found this

http://www.hickenlighting.com/products/bathroom/bathroom-ceiling-lights/AS-7169.html

Looks nice in the photo anyway.

I personally would make sure any fitting in a bathroom etc. is totally enclosed, I've seen lamps shatter and wouldn't like to have bare feet walking in a dark room with bits of glass everywhere!

Advertisement