Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nigeria vs Bosnia-Herzegovina 23:00 RTE2/BBC1

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

keith16 wrote: »
    Yep. Reminds me of everyone crying cheat on Henry v Ireland in Paris. We had our chances and didn't take them.

Even 1-1 would have been a poor result given the expectations set v Argentina.

So is it ever possible in your view for a team to be unlucky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

dfx- wrote: »
    The game doesn't stop though because they should've got a goal..

Still an hour to play, Bosnia did not much at all with it, conceded one and possibly should've conceded more.

Well they shouldn't have conceded more. They adequately defended all Nigeria's chances barring one. Bosnia were very good in attack up to the goal that should have been and should have a goal for it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

adamski8 wrote: »
    Who is he? I wish he got to interview all the managers after the games.

Don't know, some Nigerian journalist I imagine, I'm looking forward to when the manager gives him an awful belt for some of those questions.

Im fairly new to the soccer forum so I honestly can't tell if you're just being obtuse for the sake of it with that question.

No I'm not being obtuse at all. Are you saying that South American teams will cope better with the conditions because some of their players play on the same continent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Pro. F wrote: »
    So is it ever possible in your view for a team to be unlucky?

It is of course, but you make your own luck in tournament football.

BIH should have been looking to take this game by the scruff of the neck and were more than capable of beating Nigeria well. Look at Costa Rica v Uruguay.

Instead, they were pretty meek, and were happy with the "hard luck" narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

BIH should have been looking to take this game by the scruff of the neck and were more than capable of beating Nigeria well. Look at Costa Rica v Uruguay.

We're you chatting to them after the game or what?

Also as an aside, I hate that "You make your own luck" Cliché mostly its the English student in me screaming out the definition :pac:
    a purposeless, unpredictable and uncontrollable force that shapes events favorably or unfavorably for an individual, group or cause

I think the two parts of this sentence contradict themselves.

They did take the game by the scruff of the neck. They had a lot more of the ball all game and just lacked the bit of quality in the final third.

Costa Rica v Uruguay proves nothing about this game.

Your idea that they were happy with any narrative that involved them being knocked out of the WC is nonsense. They were obviously trying their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

No I'm not being obtuse at all. Are you saying that South American teams will cope better with the conditions because some of their players play on the same continent?

Yes, and most, will have at least some previous experience of it from their formative years as professionals.

Yes, and most, will have at least some previous experience of it from their formative years as professionals.

I'm happy to admit that I'm no expert on South American geography, but from what I know it's a big place with a wide range of climates. I can see an argument for Brazilian, Columbian and Ecuadorian players having some more exposure to the conditions. But Argentina, Uruguay and Chile are all further south, so aside from the odd cup game they're not going to be used to the weather either. I'm open to correction, but it seems like you are overestimating the South American's familiarity with the northern Brazilian climate.

• Advertisement

I'm happy to admit that I'm no expert on South American geography, but from what I know it's a big place with a wide range of climates. I can see an argument for Brazilian, Columbian and Ecuadorian players having some more exposure to the conditions. But Argentina, Uruguay and Chile are all further south, so aside from the odd cup game they're not going to be used to the weather either. I'm open to correction, but it seems like you are overestimating the South American's familiarity with the northern Brazilian climate.

I merely suggested that European sides may begin to fade in the conditions. Bosnia certainly seemed to in the second half last night. There are also central american teams like Costa Rica who seem to be powering on. They climbed all over the Italian midfield in a way that England seemed reluctant to do. Not to mention the fact that Italy themselves looked leg weary in comparison to the first game.

I merely suggested that European sides may begin to fade in the conditions. Bosnia certainly seemed to in the second half last night. There are also central american teams like Costa Rica who seem to be powering on. They climbed all over the Italian midfield in a way that England seemed reluctant to do. Not to mention the fact that Italy themselves looked leg weary in comparison to the first game.

You also suggested that South American teams would not fade as much.

You also suggested that South American teams would not fade as much.

That I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

That's an outrageous claim. Northern Brazil isn't the Mecca of South American football, most players wouldn't have played there. Because the countries of South America are so big they can have more than one climate. Chile for example has seven major climates, going by the Köppen system.

South America is nearly double the size of Europe. Simply being from the continent doesn't mean you're exposed to all of the climates.

That's an outrageous claim. Northern Brazil isn't the Mecca of South American football

Outrageous? What is it with this place and and the indignant hyperbole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Outrageous? What is it with this place and and the indignant hyperbole?

So you going to admit you were wrong about the climate situation or just try to change the topic?

Anyway just watched the highlights again, Nigeria continue to disappoint me. They got the result in this match but such a shame that a country with that population, where so many of which are blessed with unbelievable athleticism can't produce a top team. Won't make it past the next round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement