Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unicef collectors

Options
  • 22-06-2014 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

A few days ago there were 5 to 6 people in our area collecting for unicef. Although they had their id around their neck how do you really know they are genuine. They wanted a donation of 47c a day or about 15 e a month..They wanted the number of your bank acc so they could arrange to have the money taken out each month. I told them I was not happy giving my bank acc no , but I said if i could go on the pc and make a donation on the unicef site I would be happier but the girl said that what they were doing was the easiest way to donate. I did not give my acc details I gave her my name and the name of the park where I live but I thought it very funny that she didnt even know the town she was collecting in. Anyone else have these collectors in donegal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

They were in our area about two weeks ago, about 5 of them . I saw them coming so I didn't answer the door:o

It's mad of them asking for you'r bank acc details, i mean legit or not who would give it to a random stranger at your door who doesn't even know the town there in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I often wonder are these people volunteers or on any sort of commission for getting people to sign-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

NIMAN wrote: »
    I often wonder are these people volunteers or on any sort of commission for getting people to sign-up?

They are almost always paid either by commision or on an hourly rate and they will work for a contractor so will work form different charities week to week, in the UK it is required by law for them to tell you that they are being paid but i don't know if its the same here.

Imo its annoying to have them at your door, i also saw them out the window so never bothered answering, between them and the election agents lately & betterware vendors etc etc i have been seriously tempted to remove my doorbell, its bad when you cant get any peace sitting in your own home.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, had them here a few weeks ago. The lad at the door also had a small vial in his pocket, which he claimed to be the serum to cure disease in Syria.

I had mentioned that I'd rather just pay a bit directly and not a standing order or direct debit, but he went on and on until his arrogance vexed me to the point I cared no more, and confirmed my non-interest and said goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had one of these guys knock on the door a few days ago (in the middle of a football match on telly) and he was bragging about how they were the only organization to help the refugees in Syria and how 50 cents a day could do this, that and the other. Try as I may I couldnt get rid of him so finally I just told him to clear off as I was watching the football and closed the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Maybe they were genuine I dont know but you would have thought they would have known the town they were collecting in.

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, had them here a few weeks ago. The lad at the door also had a small vial in his pocket, which he claimed to be the serum to cure disease in Syria.

I had mentioned that I'd rather just pay a bit directly and not a standing order or direct debit, but he went on and on until his arrogance vexed me to the point I cared no more, and confirmed my non-interest and said goodbye.

Yea the same thing here she had a little vile said that it cost 47cents the collector was nice enough but wasn't over the moon when I didn't sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Whenever they call with me they just get told to go away. With a hint of menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

We've had Barnardos and the Irish Heart Foundation in the last 2 weeks.

If you don't sign up DD there and then, it's no good to them! WTF?

Give me a secure site to donate to online and forget about trying to get details on the doorstep.
    Badges are no guarantee of authenticity really.
    They're probably legit, but still !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I hate them so SO much

it may have changed since but when i was living in Galway i had a mate try it out thinking it was handy and make them feel good or whatnot.

they make a fortune upward of 12-15 quid an hour and if they meet a certain amount of signups they got a half day on Friday that was fully paid.

Thats why they are so aggressive when it comes down to getting your details. If you think yeah sure i'll just sign up online instead of giving you my details on the street they lose you as a "sell" and it goes against their quota.

If my calculations are correct 40 hours a week, at say 12 quid an hour to be generous (this doesn't include bonuses that people also receive) for each of the 5 people means that every week they are shelling out nearly €2500 on just these 5 people or 10000 a month (My calcs work out at €9600)

So to break even they need either

1920 signups at €5 a month
    960 signups at €10 a month
    480 signups at €20 a month

Judging by this thread they aren't geting that. If they had a donation box where i could throw my change in i'd do that but am i hell signing up to anything.

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

danniemcq wrote: »
    I hate them so SO much

it may have changed since but when i was living in Galway i had a mate try it out thinking it was handy and make them feel good or whatnot.

they make a fortune upward of 12-15 quid an hour and if they meet a certain amount of signups they got a half day on Friday that was fully paid.

Thats why they are so aggressive when it comes down to getting your details. If you think yeah sure i'll just sign up online instead of giving you my details on the street they lose you as a "sell" and it goes against their quota.

If my calculations are correct 40 hours a week, at say 12 quid an hour to be generous (this doesn't include bonuses that people also receive) for each of the 5 people means that every week they are shelling out nearly €2500 on just these 5 people or 10000 a month (My calcs work out at €9600)

So to break even they need either

1920 signups at €5 a month
    960 signups at €10 a month
    480 signups at €20 a month

Judging by this thread they aren't geting that. If they had a donation box where i could throw my change in i'd do that but am i hell signing up to anything.

/rant

A lot of these charities are now using 3rd party company's such as flawless marketing in Sligo for example, who operate throughout the whole of the NW and most likely whom the people on here are encountering.

They don't earn €12 an hour, in fact most of them are earning €0 per hour as they are classed as self employed. That is why most are so aggressively selling. They get a bonus if they sign up X amount per day, and AFAIK €15 per sign up depending on the charity.

They collectively rent out a house for the week and work all day. They do have some people who could sell snow to the Eskimos but mostly it is people who are desperate for work and will do anything for a few bob.

I know someone who worked for this company and when I was younger worked for a crowd similar.

THE girl who i seen told me she was at collage in dun laoighire and was born in the caribbean. My husband was working in a garden a few doors away and the girl that spoke to him said she was from Offaly.

A lot of these charities are now using 3rd party company's such as flawless marketing in Sligo for example, who operate throughout the whole of the NW and most likely whom the people on here are encountering.

They don't earn €12 an hour, in fact most of them are earning €0 per hour as they are classed as self employed. That is why most are so aggressively selling. They get a bonus if they sign up X amount per day, and AFAIK €15 per sign up depending on the charity.

They collectively rent out a house for the week and work all day. They do have some people who could sell snow to the Eskimos but mostly it is people who are desperate for work and will do anything for a few bob.

I know someone who worked for this company and when I was younger worked for a crowd similar.

Oh don't get me wrong i know what desperation for a job is like, i was a shop to shop salesman in Limerick selling knives when i was living in Galway and needed to pay the ESB. It was soul crushing and all on commision but even on the first day you knew when people didn't want to be asked or whatever and you left them alone, if people were interested they would make it known.

I'm just telling you what I was told by people that worked the chugger game. they got their pay and a bonus per signup. I'm guessing they all don't work the same way though by your comment. I just wish they were more honest about the whole thing or just accepeted normal donations or didn't get in your face when you are walking through town.

I had one follow me around in Galway asking me why not and surely i could afford it and that my life was so much better than the people that charity supported all that bull and I tried to keep calm but my gf and I had just broke up, i just lost my job that morning and had nowhere to live, I could only take so much and when he mocked me the next time i went past him i went ballistic.

If people want to donate let them donate, don't pressure them, don't get in their face, don't assume they are better off, don't call to their house, if they want to increase funds stop paying people stupid sums of money and actually get some trust back from Joe Public

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

danniemcq wrote: »
    If people want to donate let them donate, don't pressure them, don't get in their face, don't assume they are better off, don't call to their house, if they want to increase funds stop paying people stupid sums of money and actually get some trust back from Joe Public

AMEN !!!

Dannie for President!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Pique wrote: »
    AMEN !!!

Dannie for President!

He'd be unbearable :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote: »
    He'd be unbearable :pac:
    :D:D

I'll do a reverse Scarface

get the power, get the money, get the women

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

I was approached by a man called from UNICEF at my door yesterday who informed me they were looking for donations for vaccines for the children of Gaza. He said that if I donated it was a once off payment taken from my account in October. I agreed for the payment of €15.00 and signed my name. After that he informed me that it was €15.00 per month until I decide otherwise. He completely mislead me he kept on saying once off payment once off payment which I thought sure thats grand I can afford that but then the story changed once he got my details. I rang them up this morning to cancel and made a complaint. What annoyed me was he could see I was a single parent and I should have said no I dnt usually answer the door to people that are selling round the doors but I was just home and was getting out of my car so he got me before I could make it into my house. I want to help the people of Gaza but the way he lied to me I just feel that is wrong if you are taking money out of peoples bank accounts be truthful about the situation and dont lie. I was looking online and it seems people in general are getting fed up with charitites and this way of collecting.

Yea same here if I could have made a donation on the day I would have but I was not going to give a complete stranger my bank details

Advertisement