Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vietnam- From Saigon to Hanoi

• 22-06-2014 6:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Im currently in a hostel in Ho Chi Minh city (Saigon) looking to buy a bike to head north.

Expecting to set off in the next day or two. Reckon it will take around a month.
    I'll keep this updated as much as I can.

Anyone else got a summer adventure planned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Your adventure is my adventure.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

Take plenty of photos and post them up to make us all feel jealous :D
    Have a great trip, look forward to hearing about it when you're finished

I might go in September/ October, for that type of torrain, a smaller bike is better inop, You can lift it over things and easily pick it up when you come off. Keep us and yourself updated if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

My adventure is currently underway I'm in Florence - Italy at the moment. My total trip so far has been:
    London
    Reims, France
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Turin, Italy
    Pisa, Italy
    Rome, Italy
    Florence, Italy

Left to do is:
    Bologna,Italy
    Milan,Italy
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Paris, France (This will be a pure millage day from Geneva)
    Bruges, Belgium (I'm not 100% on this yet, I'll see how I feel in Paris)
    LONDON.
    Then back to work :(

Throw up a few pics if you can? I'll do the same, phibsborough is such a bottle neck, you can see me stuck in traffic on the way into work, breathtaking! I hate you guys:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Im currently in a hostel in Ho Chi Minh city (Saigon) looking to buy a bike to head north.

Expecting to set off in the next day or two. Reckon it will take around a month.
    I'll keep this updated as much as I can.

Anyone else got a summer adventure planned?

What are you going to buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭positron

My brother just reached Ho Chi Minh city from India on a work related tour. Small world huh? Have a great trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

What are you going to buy?
    Bought a Honda Win 110cc heap of ****!

Not much choice here!

positron wrote: »
    My brother just reached Ho Chi Minh city from India on a work related tour. Small world huh? Have a great trip.
    I've run into a few people from home in south east Asia, including a guy I used to live next door to! Small indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

PIC PIC PICS!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Savage, well jealous. Fair play. How did you manage this anyway?

Keep us updated. I'd love to do something like that one day.

One of these lads :
    J5kbVRd.jpg

Perfect for the journey, considering the terrain and whats available in parts etc

That one looks much nicer than mine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I've done the same route (Saigon -> Hanoi) a couple of years ago, also on a Honda Win. Let me know if you have any questions. Make sure you go up to Da Lat, the ride up and down the mountains is jaw dropping, definitely my favourite part of the trip.

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I've done the same route (Saigon -> Hanoi) a couple of years ago, also on a Honda Win. Let me know if you have any questions. Make sure you go up to Da Lat, the ride up and down the mountains is jaw dropping, definitely my favourite part of the trip.
    I've just left dalat! What a trip up and down! Did you do canyoning there? Best day out I've ever had!

Finding it hard to get decent internet here but I'll get pics up as soon as I can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

No didn't do any canyoning. I was able to find a map of my route if you're interested: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202558346070694797541.0004c3b00c8e6fe3763e1&msa=0&ll=15.559544,109.094238&spn=13.644292,21.577148&dg=feature

There's a straight line from Nha Trang to Danang because I put the bike on a train.

Here's a pic of my little Honda Win in Hanoi, washed and ready-to-sell: http://i.imgur.com/WDRNj.jpg

daveyjoe wrote: »
    No didn't do any canyoning. I was able to find a map of my route if you're interested: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202558346070694797541.0004c3b00c8e6fe3763e1&msa=0&ll=15.559544,109.094238&spn=13.644292,21.577148&dg=feature

There's a straight line from Nha Trang to Danang because I put the bike on a train.

Here's a pic of my little Honda Win in Hanoi, washed and ready-to-sell: http://i.imgur.com/WDRNj.jpg
    We skipped Nha Trang. Went Dalat to Bhon ma Thout. We're in Pleiku tonight.

Hoi An is our next stop, probably three nights there. Its 350km or so from here though so might have to do it over two days. 350 is a long way on these roads.

Got offered a job in a bar in hoi an! Going to give it a go for a couple of days!

Thats it, you're never coming back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Top gear did a similar ride .Jeremy Clarkson pretended to do it at least .I bet he just filmed short stretches on the bike .Interesting though .http://youtu.be/O1zfuBgCUqY

• Advertisement

Did that a few years ago and my only advice is try to leave time to drive north of Hanoi for 4/5 days or a week.. I could go up there every month but I'd never go south on the motorbike again.

If ya have any questions, let me know.. Still in the country.

Did that a few years ago and my only advice is try to leave time to drive north of Hanoi for 4/5 days or a week.. I could go up there every month but I'd never go south on the motorbike again.

If ya have any questions, let me know.. Still in the country.
    I'm probably not going to have time to get North of Hanoi.

anto9 wrote: »
    Top gear did a similar ride .Jeremy Clarkson pretended to do it at least .I bet he just filmed short stretches on the bike .Interesting though .http://youtu.be/O1zfuBgCUqY
    Just did that Hoi an to Hue mountain pass yesterday! Spectacular but only the second best road I've ridden here!

Almost there now! In Phong Nha at the moment. One of the nicest places I've ever been.

So I've heard.. The one place I still haven't made it to! Should have gone this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,382 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jeez, 15 years ago when I was touring in France I could go a few days between phoning home from a coinbox (and needed the right French franc coins) now it's feckin' tweets and updates from the other side of the world :)

Times sure have changed up on Walton's Mountain.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Jeez, 15 years ago when I was touring in France I could go a few days between phoning home from a coinbox (and needed the right French franc coins) now it's feckin' tweets and updates from the other side of the world :)

Times sure have changed up on Walton's Mountain.
    Its an amazing world we be living in.

Made it to Hanoi safely. What a trip. Now to celebrate and try to sell!

Hoped id have it sold by now. Might have to take a big hit on it and sell it to the bike shop.

the guys i travelled with sold theirs for more money than im asking and no one will even look at mine!

Need to get out of this city! The only place in Vietnam i haven't liked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Hoped id have it sold by now. Might have to take a big hit on it and sell it to the bike shop.

the guys i travelled with sold theirs for more money than im asking and no one will even look at mine!

Need to get out of this city! The only place in Vietnam i haven't liked!

bro can you provide us some pics? I am checking your topic in silence hoping for some amazing shots..
    Can ya? ;)

• Advertisement

Thinkin of headin there in October for 2 weeks, any advice? North or south? Travel around or stay put in one city? It only being 2 weeks

Advertisement