Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best savings account interest rate

Options
  • 22-06-2014 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I am looking to send money home from oz and looking to maybe open a new Irish account to put my money in to, im just wondering who has the best interest rates and what account would be best? I dont plan on touching the money also for about 6 months.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Why don't you put it in a high interest account in Australia until you are ready to send it back to Ireland? You would be lucky to get 2% interest rate at best with an Irish bank at the minute whereas you can get 3-4% with an Australian bank. With the exchange rate also rising slowly at the minute it also would not be a good idea to change it to euros until you need the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

aido79 wrote: »
    Why don't you put it in a high interest account in Australia until you are ready to send it back to Ireland? You would be lucky to get 2% interest rate at best with an Irish bank at the minute whereas you can get 3-4% with an Australian bank. With the exchange rate also rising slowly at the minute it also would not be a good idea to change it to euros until you need the money.
    Exchange rate volatility? The aus$ is called the pacific peso for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

ANZ have a progressive saver acc with a good interest rate I think it was 3.7% as long as you don't withdraw within the month frame line for the interest. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

catbear wrote: »
    Exchange rate volatility? The aus$ is called the pacific peso for a reason.

Money is still better off in Australian bank than an Irish bank at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭coldpaw

Comm Bank Goal Saver and Netbank saver are 3.81% heaps better than the Irish banks and no DIRT.
    https://www.commbank.com.au/personal/accounts/savings-accounts.html?ei=bc3

Not sure on the Currency fluctuations though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

For an extra .20% in interest, you can use Ubank. Pretty much no restrictions other than depositing min $200 by direct debit each month.

Although there is no DIRT on interest here you should be paying income tax at your marginal rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

jockey#1 wrote: »

Although there is no DIRT on interest here you should be paying income tax at your marginal rate!
    Yeah flipping 45% for some :(

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

hussey wrote: »
    Yeah flipping 45% for some :(

Cry me a river if you are earning over 180k :)

Advertisement