Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DKIT or DIT

Options
  • 22-06-2014 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi so at the minute I hav DIT as my first choice for international business with French... its 380 and I will definitely get that. However from reading reviews this course proves difficult toprovide employment as it is too general.. Marketing IN dkitwhere I live (DUNDALK) is 300 and to me seems like a good choice... If I was going to DIT I would be commuting but DKIT and marketing are seriously pulling me at the minute.. Is Dkit a good place I will be living at home btw.... Am I right in saying international business is too general and a marketing degree would prove easier...

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pdog2468

easier to gain employment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

pdog2468 wrote: »
    hi so at the minute I hav DIT as my first choice for international business with French...
    SNIP
    Am I right in saying international business is too general and a marketing degree would prove easier...

Nah, a business degree is a business degree.

I know from going to DKIT myself that your degree will still be packed with generic business (and non business) subjects like accounting, maths, communication, management, computers taught poorly, etc .. while the marketing will constitute a few extra modules of drivel like entrepreneurship, intrapreneurship, innovation, etc that will teach you nothing practical or technical that you can use in the real world. Some DKIT lecturers are woeful. DIT, well I know the science lecturers are good but haven't really heard much about the business lecturers.

Learning French would be a good move. Even better if you can study abroad for a year. You can do that in Dundalk though. Speaking a foreign language is a good asset, while a year abroad will look good on your cv (and be a good life experience in general) and make you more employable to the multinationals (assuming they'll still be in Ireland in 4-5 years).

As for Dublin or Dundalk.. if you stay in Dundalk you're missing out on the experience of living away from home. If going to Dublin means living at home PLUS a commute, do yourself a favour and just go to college in Dundalk. You'll save that €2.5k commuting cost and you can use the time you would have spent commuting to get a part-time job which would definitely be a big boost in gaining employment when you leave college.

tenifan wrote: »
    Nah, a business degree is a business degree.

I know from going to DKIT myself that your degree will still be packed with generic business (and non business) subjects like accounting, maths, communication, management, computers taught poorly, etc .. while the marketing will constitute a few extra modules of drivel like entrepreneurship, intrapreneurship, innovation, etc that will teach you nothing practical or technical that you can use in the real world. Some DKIT lecturers are woeful. DIT, well I know the science lecturers are good but haven't really heard much about the business lecturers.

Learning French would be a good move. Even better if you can study abroad for a year. You can do that in Dundalk though. Speaking a foreign language is a good asset, while a year abroad will look good on your cv (and be a good life experience in general) and make you more employable to the multinationals (assuming they'll still be in Ireland in 4-5 years).

As for Dublin or Dundalk.. if you stay in Dundalk you're missing out on the experience of living away from home. If going to Dublin means living at home PLUS a commute, do yourself a favour and just go to college in Dundalk. You'll save that €2.5k commuting cost and you can use the time you would have spent commuting to get a part-time job which would definitely be a big boost in gaining employment when you leave college.

would there be a lot of maths involved????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

pdog2468 wrote: »
    would there be a lot of maths involved????

in my accounting course in dkit they gave us a maths subject called "quantitative techniques". the lecturer was from the engineering section and im pretty sure he'd be retired by now.
    Really off-the-wall stuff. I've no idea what he was trying to teach us. but that was only in first year and i managed to scrape the pass.

Apart from that, in an accounting course you'd expect to do a lot of calculations with subjects like tax, financial management, accounting.. business courses will probably be a bit lighter on the calculations.

Best thing you can do is try to get talking to students who just finished the course for honest feedback.

tenifan wrote: »
    in my accounting course in dkit they gave us a maths subject called "quantitative techniques". the lecturer was from the engineering section and im pretty sure he'd be retired by now.
    Really off-the-wall stuff. I've no idea what he was trying to teach us. but that was only in first year and i managed to scrape the pass.

Apart from that, in an accounting course you'd expect to do a lot of calculations with subjects like tax, financial management, accounting.. business courses will probably be a bit lighter on the calculations.

Best thing you can do is try to get talking to students who just finished the course for honest feedback.

so it was only first year?? I changed my cao this morning to dkit ... thanks for your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement