Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard format/layout changing by itself

Options
  • 22-06-2014 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I can't really find where else to look for help. I had a new PC built with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition installed on it. I have noticed when browsing and opening several tabs, that the keyboard format changes by itself.

For example: If I type in a search and try to spell out - The International Space Station. All I get is xhUY?\\x lJDUEE WITU^%%QWW or basically gobbledygook.

The only way I can return the keyboard to its normal format, is if I open another browser, type some characters, copy & paste, then go back to the original browser & tabs that were given me the problem and start typing. The keyboard then goes back to its normal format/layout.

This happens everyday and it's a pain in the ass. I mainly use Chrome for browsing and I've checked Chrome settings etc without any success. I'm obviously missing something so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

The first thing I would do would be to try another keyboard.

Otherwise, Follow this which was taken directly from another forum:

Please try the below solutions:
    Open up the Control Panel. This can be done by either pressing win+r and typing "control" (without quotes) or going to My Computer and clicking "Control Panel" in the Other Places area on the left.
    Look for "Regional and Language Options." The categories are alphabetized, so finding it shouldn't be hard. Once you find it, double-click on it. A window should come up with the tabs "Regional Options," "Language Options," and "Advanced" at the top.
    Look in the "Regional Options" tab, you should find a pull down menu, some "samples," and another pull down menu. Make sure that both menus are set to your region's settings.
    Click on the "Customize" button next to the first pull down menu. Sometimes these settings can interfere with your keyboard.
    Make sure that, at the bottom of the "Customize" dialogue, your measurement system is set to whatever system your region uses. Once that tab in "Customize" is all set, move over to "Currency," "Time," and "Date," making sure that their settings are correct.
    Click "Apply" for both the Customize window and the Regional and Language Settings window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Thanks, but I already tried that solution before I started the thread. Advanced language settings ect are all set correctly. One thing I didn't say in my OP was, this problem only happens when using Chrome. Also when the OS was installed, I didn't install all the additional language packs which I didn't need and to also save space on my SSD.

Advertisement