Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belgium vs Russia

• 22-06-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

On now.

311l1tk.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

These two have been such a letdown over the years I wouldn't be surprised if both somehow manage to lose this.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Was wondering when someone would make a thread :p

Belgium: Courtois, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Kompany (c), Witsel, De Bruyne, Fellaini, Lukaku, Hazard, Mertens, Van Buyten

Russia: Akinfeev, Kozlov, Ignashevich, Kanunnikov, Glushakov, Kokorin, Berezutskiy (c), Shatov, Samedov, Fayzulin, Kombarov

That's what Sky have listed on their website anyway

Edit: beaten to it for the line ups, nevermind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I absolutely love the Russian national anthem. Even as an Irishman, it just stirs my soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I absolutely love the Russian national anthem. Even as an Irishman, it just stirs my soul.

It's a proper anthem.....conjures memories of Cold Wars, the 1980s and Ivan Dragos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Looks to be a bit of a height advantage here for the Belgians. Set pieces should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Bright start by Belgium.

Dodgy keeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ya dope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

De Bruyne looking better this game already

Fellaini is looking less of a lampshade and more like a footballer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Belgium looking pretty handy. Even in 45 or so WC minutes, Fellaini has put himself well in the shop window. As a Blue, it's good to see Courtois in action. Hazard doing his job, incl. linking up well with Fellaini. Lukaku has it all to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Good to see Vermaelen getting a game, really hope he doesn't leave us this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

BBC just referred to them as "the USSR team" :D

That was a clumsy challenge to say the least.

Russia used to be good to watch at these tournaments, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I think Lukaku is overrated. Has never really impressed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Peist2007 wrote: »

He has a lot of good qualities but is still raw, in particular his touch and his positioning can be suspect. That being said he's only 21 so people should cut him some slack!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

fearrua wrote: »
    Good to see Vermaelen getting a game, really hope he doesn't leave us this summer

Magpie!

Nothing really for Lukaku to work off so far to be fair.

He has a lot of good qualities but is still raw and his positioning can be suspect. That being said he's only 21 so people should cut him some slack!

He is young but even by regular standards he can be a bit cumbersome. He may improve and is often likened to Drogba but i think he lacks a bit of personality as well. That being said i would be happy to be proved wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Billy86 wrote: »

Muppets. During the pregame build up, Lineker was speaking about some player and then goes onto say - "He came on the bench." I was like dafuq is this!?!?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

fearrua wrote: »

Why? He's an average CB at best. His goals early in his Arsenal career clouded the vast majority of Arsenal fans and EPL fans in general.

That was greedy

Muppets. During the pregame build up, Lineker was speaking about some player and then goes onto say - "He came on the bench." I was like dafuq is this!?!?

Pulled off at half time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

So as it is a lazy sunday evening I decided to stick this on in the background and have a snooze. Fell asleep at kick off and 30 minutes later I wake up and only 9 minutes have been played. Even in my sleep this game has dragged along.

Billy86 wrote: »
    The Class of 66. Just can't let it go, eh?

Or Mourinho it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Amazing how quick a boot full of studs to the face wears off :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Jaysus that was harsh on the chap out of BROS... the other lads foot was higher than his..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

"Lukaku makes a good run"

He ran too early was was well offside before the pass could be played. Lukaku has been very disappointing here, offers next to nothing in the build up play and his positioning in the box has been poor. Hope he gets a goal to give him a boost.

Dries Mertens has been very good yet again.

He ran too early was was well offside before the pass could be played. Lukaku has been very disappointing here, offers next to nothing in the build up play and his positioning in the box has been poor. Hope he gets a goal to give him a boost.

I think Mertens needs to improve his final ball big time.

Unsurprising really. Still baffled as to why there was so little interest in him last summer. Said it then, but he was arguably the bargain signing of last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Wow, what a miss.

Great ball, Kokorin should do better.

Shocking miss that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I think Mertens needs to improve his final ball big time.
    His final ball has never really been an issue with him when I've seen him play. Lukaku needs to change it up a bit in the box, all he's doing is looking for an easy tap in.
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Unsurprising really. Still baffled as to why there was so little interest in him last summer. Said it then, but he was arguably the bargain signing of last summer.

Agreed, had a fantastic season.

This Belgium team still to really impress me

Hazard has been very ordinary in that half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Belgium are just so... timid. It's like they're afraid to take amd risks in attack whatsoever.

Sub Lusaka off at half time and make sure he never gets back on the pitch all world cup.

His final ball has never really been an issue with him when I've seen him play. Lukaku needs to change it up a bit in the box, all he's doing is looking for an easy tap in.

I will admit i have only seen him play a couple of times and wouldnt be judging on anything more. He is lively and inventive but, today anyway, seems to lack the final ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Belgium a bit of a let down so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Mertens is the only player who looks dangerous.

Fellani better as an impact sub. Useless today

Agree on Mertens, looks very lively

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

Another match with empty seats, and a lot of the rest filled with locals. I can't help but believe the Irish supporters would have filled their quota every time.....sigh

Lukaku ran himself out if contention far too early there.

He has a lot to do if he doesn't want to end up as a Belgian Heskey. A goal would be a start. He won't get much of a run out in the second half if he doesn't get more involved.

Russia should be 2-1 up had everyone taken their best chances. Became a rather bity game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

twinex wrote: »
    Another match with empty seats, and a lot of the rest filled with locals. I can't help but believe the Irish supporters would have filled their quota every time.....sigh

Empty seats don't always mean teams haven't sold their quota, just means some FIFA hangers on haven't bothered.

mike65 wrote: »
    Russia should be 2-1 up had everyone taken their best chances. Became a rather bity game.
    Belgium really fell away a the half progressed. I'd expect they'd try to pick it up in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Russia need to introduce Vladimir Putin quickly; there's bags of goals on him im sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Both teams look to be playing for the draw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement