Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP address

Options
  • 22-06-2014 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have Eircom Efibre broadband and have a question on IP addresses. When I reset my router, I still get the same IP address on ( http://www.iplocation.net/ ). Is there any way I can change this to reset to a different IP address when I turnoff and on my modem?

I tried turning it off and leaving it for 5 minutes, and connecting a different device to the modem first, which I read might affect the allocation of an IP address.

Also when I log onto my modem I see there is

IPv4 Address: xx.xx.xxx.xx Release

There is actual numbers in the x's and the release is a button, what will happen if I click "Release"?Any help would be really appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Try leaving the modem off over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Pressing release should request a new external IP from Eircom, however it seems that they just reallocate it to you immediately. Try pressing it sure.

You can ask Eircom here on Boards what the story is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Do you have a static IP perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Hi

I have Eircom Efibre broadband and have a question on IP addresses. When I reset my router, I still get the same IP address on ( http://www.iplocation.net/ ). Is there any way I can change this to reset to a different IP address when I turnoff and on my modem?

I tried turning it off and leaving it for 5 minutes, and connecting a different device to the modem first, which I read might affect the allocation of an IP address.

Also when I log onto my modem I see there is

IPv4 Address: xx.xx.xxx.xx Release

There is actual numbers in the x's and the release is a button, what will happen if I click "Release"?Any help would be really appreciated

That IP address you are seeing with the release button next to it is the WAN address of the router. Releasing that is just the same as renewing the IP. I presume that is set as static by Eircom, so you will just get the same IP on that interface all the time unless you call Eircom and request a change.

That IP address is used to access the WAN interface on the router and is a public IP address, the PC's that are connected to your router will be picking up an address from DHCP on the router and will have a private IP range, something along the lines of 192.168.1.1 all the way to 192.168.1.253.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Possibly eFibre uses sticky IPs like UPC, only way to get a new one is to leave the modem off for a few hours, 24-48 etc.

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement