Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agency delaying return of the deposit

Options
  • 22-06-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

At 6th of June my 1 year lease of the apartment finished. Throughout whole tenancy everything was great, contact with our agent was brilliant.

Apartment was cleaned and we left it exactly how we rented it(expect some tear and wear), but everything was grand. At this point, we were told that it will take 14 days from the last day of our tenancy to get our deposit back.

After 10 days I called my agent and he told me that apartment was left perfectly clean and we will receive full refund soon, as he already asked their accounts team to do it.

At 14th day we still did not get it back, so I made a phone call again. He informed me, that it might get delayed, because the building is currently behind sold and they have a problem is reaching the owner of the building to get our deposit back. He wasn't able to promise that we will get it even in the next week.

I processed the information and called him again, saying that I signed a contract with agency(Savills) and I transferred money to Savills, so that is their problem and not mine, I just want my money.

I heard from my agent that "this is not his concern" and legally he has the right to give me back my deposit(1800 euro) after a month.
    I checked our contract and it is not mentioned over there.

I want to know, what should I do in that kind of situation, because I need the money asap and they don't seem to care.

I look forward to hearing from someone soon.

All the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

It is the Landlord's responsibility to return your deposit and not the agents.

You need to request written confirmation from the agent (as they appear to be managing the property) that the property was return in good condition and their recommendation is that the deposit should be returned in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'd drive by and see if they rented it of so I'd call in to their office and make it plain that you arent leaving with out it, bring your own camping chair, mat and sleeping bag promise they will find a way to pay you

Advertisement