Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest Music/sounds/moments in Videogames

Options
  • 22-06-2014 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

Its funny looking at games in the past its very easily to laugh at its dialogue, graphics and script the voice actors had to work with than we have being accustomed to these days but there is just some things in childhood games you have played in the past that still make it feel like someone has clinched your heart not allowing the blood to go through your body and there you lay in shock on what you had to experience as a kid even playing kids games.

Thought it be fun to share moments/sounds and music that scared the sh1t of me as a kid and even to this day my heart skips a beat :S

Sonic Drowning music

Sonic drowning , sadly no one told yuji naka that hedgehogs are good swimmers if someone did tell him that maybe just maybe I could of lived in a world without hearing the orchestrated reach faster and faster in a higher tempo while watching the countdown appear above my head while I rush in slower pace underwater looking for an air bubble just to survive. Imagine 4 year old me to experience such a thing.

It still haunts me while in the shower O_O

Silent Hill -Alley

I remember all the latest playstation magazines were talking about this game , plastered everywhere as the next horror game to revival what was resident evil , so my cousin had a copy and I asked could I borrow it , surely enough he said yes so later that day I went home , popt the bastard in bare in mind it was night time and I had my window open.

after the intro was finished you wonder in town and started heading towards the alley as it got darker and darker you see that ****ing creature tied to the gate while others attacked you , perfect timing gush of wind comes in and slams my door , after a mighty scream I shut off that system and never played the game again years later.

Sonic Cd Hidden message music

I do not know what was up with sega at the time to put this ****ed up thing in the game but they did a ****ty job hiding :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I know i have had multiple moments of having the hairs on the back of my neck stand up but i can't name a single one :(

I do remember the dog jumping through the window in Resident Evil. That scared the **** out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

A couple of moments for me.

First being from Condemned. The bit where you find the body in the locker. People who have played that will definitely know what i mean. Nearly shat myself at what happened next.

Second was the subway tunnels in Fallout 3. They managed to create a really creepy atmosphere in those tunnels. I was playing one night with the light switched off and i was sneaking around in a dark tunnel when out of nowhere a ghoul hit me from behind. Didn't hear or see him come up behind me. I nearly fell out of me chair.

Metro Last Light deserves a mention for creating a very creepy atmosphere as well.
    The haunted area on the surface near the end of the game was really creepy.

EDIT: Just remembered another one. Being chased by the Raincoat Killer in Deadly Premonition or just any scenario where your being hunted and chased by an invincible enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

Silent Hill -Alley

I remember all the latest playstation magazines were talking about this game , plastered everywhere as the next horror game to revival what was resident evil , so my cousin had a copy and I asked could I borrow it , surely enough he said yes so later that day I went home , popt the bastard in bare in mind it was night time and I had my window open.

after the intro was finished you wonder in town and started heading towards the alley as it got darker and darker you see that ****ing creature tied to the gate while others attacked you , perfect timing gush of wind comes in and slams my door , after a mighty scream I shut off that system and never played the game again years later.

I really hope you have gone back to this or at least played 2 otherwise your missing out.

I myself having recently been playing outlast have to say it's one of the most frightening experiences I've ever had.

Also found resi 3 nemesis to be awful whenever he popped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

First being from Condemned. The bit where you find the body in the locker. People who have played that will definitely know what i mean. Nearly shat myself at what happened next.
    That's the game that I thought if as soon as I saw the thread title, still the only game that ever actually made me jump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

recyclops wrote: »
    I really hope you have gone back to this or at least played 2 otherwise your missing out.

Oh I have indeed :P

First 3 games are some of my favourite games of all time especially silent hill 2.
    I have silent hill 4 aswell but not got around to it yet ( huge backlog ).
    Also played downpour which was quite poor.

Downpour was awful as was homecoming.

Issue is horror is such a hard genre to make and make well.

Silent Hill 2 is the benchmark for me in a lot of gaming categories. Though as said earlier outlast is doing a fantastic job of ruining my trousers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The scariest sound for me?
    An easy one.
    The sound of the two stroke motor in Resident Evil 4.
    It is the sound of an incoming chainsaw, destination, your neck.
    Scares the beejebus out of me, knowing there's a fecker in close proximity looking to separate Leo's noggin from the rest of him.

And Silent Hill 2,
    The bit where you get the flashlight for the first time. Or more precisely the bit that immediately follows you getting the flashlight for the first time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Sonic the Hedgehog 'running out of breath' music.

I swear to god I hate those underwater levels because of the sheer stress involved in reaching those bubble pockets in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Resident evil
    Silent Hill
    Parasite eve

Everything else is just wait noise.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say eternal darkness.

Whoever said Nintendo consoles are childish never played this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Sonic the Hedgehog 'running out of breath' music.

I swear to god I hate those underwater levels because of the sheer stress involved in reaching those bubble pockets in time.

I can confirm that hedgehogs cannot breathe underwater.
    Nor does the music play up to their demise.

The level is one of the reasons I prefer Sonic 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Thief: Deadly Shadows - the Cradle. A great atmosphere of dread and foreboding.

An honourable mention also goes to Shadowman. I think one level in particular was called Playroom (?) - plenty of sinister sound effects in that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I remember the wolves in the original Tomb Raider sounding scary. Listening to them now, I don't know why :)

On the drowning theme, Lara was good at that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

When that first zombie turns his head on Resident Evil...Done, that put me off the whole series until I had the nuts to play Resi4 which by that point was just a shooter. Maybe not so old but the whole atmosphere of Amnesia was terrifying for me. I know that was the intent but it didn't stop me ****ting it everytime I came to a corner or new area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Half Life - the part where you are traversing the cliffside fighting offsoldiers and helicopters firing at you. You reach the top and enter a stormdrain and a feckin headcrab attacks you.

FEAR - the bit where you are wandering along in a sewer, minding your own business. Nothing happens. Then you go to climb down a ladder and as you turn to face the ladder, the little girl is standing above you.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

Every single second of Outlast. Those chase scenes especially. My god.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Dr. Steinman in Bioshock
    The part in Bioshock Infinite in Comstock House, you know the one :D
    The reanimators in Resident Evil 4
    All of Silent Hill 2
    The parts in Resident Evil 3 where Nemesis chases you.
    The Dunwich Building in Fallout 3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

19 posts and no mention of System Shock 2? For shame people.

Between Shodan, Xerxes, Hybrids and the general sounds/music in the game, it definitely stands out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thief The Dark Project....

Hammer Haunts......Lights off, sound up to the last, these things were the most terrifying thing in gaming...

Their appearance now won't scare ya much, but the sounds of these things chasing you down in the game was unreal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

That bit in level 8 of Doom (The Phobos Anomaly) when you press the doors of this block house in the middle of giant pentagon/star structure and the two barons of hell appear. Scary because when you hear that scream and see these massive centaur like demons walking fast towards you in the manner of 'we are going to crush you', you know you're in deep trouble. Actually that whole level was unnerving, you knew it was leading up to something, the whole satanic level design element reinforced this.

Quake: the dog running at you in the first level, was shocked by the speed and ferocity, playing this when I was 13 I knew it wasn't going to be fun and games. Also the satanic imagery etc, unlike Doom which had some shock moments Quake had a disturbing atmosphere that came from its unrelenting gloom. A reviewer on the interweb made a great point about both games, Doom reflected the early 90s, a transitionary period between 80s metal, Metallica, and grunge, eg Alice in Chains. This was evident with respect to the type font for the Doom logo, the artwork, the aliens/all out excessive ott violence which harked back to films like Robocop and Aliens. Quake reflected mid 90s grunge/disaffection, therefore Nine Inch Nails, a nihilistic ambience and so on. A good comparison which probably explains why I love both games so much. I would list more games that freaked me out but those were the only two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

For music I'll probably go with Diablo 1. Once you're down to level 5 (I think it's 5) to 7 you're in dungeon style layout but there's a childs voice that's barely audible. I spent hours thinking I might have heard something but not being sure and it really really got on my nerves...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

Silent Hill 2. That game was f*cked. Particularly chilling moments include the elevator ride quiz which segues from a sort of upbeat radio show to a grisly account of the deeds of one Walter Sullivan. Also, being attacked by Pyramid Head. Also, being attacked by the protagonist's dead wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

The Mad Doctor level in Mickey MAnia

There was a moment in Alone in the Dark, I played it through on the 3DO, when you walk into the spooky mansions library and have the option to pick out a book and read it.
    Knowledgeable players will have seen Evil Dead 2 and know nothing good will come of it, and they'd be right.
    In this instance music starts as you slowly rise into the air and have your neck broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Any time in Project Zero 2: The Crimson Butterfly where Sae turns up. One touch is insta-death so I'd be running around these tiny rooms trying to keep away from her and change the film in my stupid camera, ahhhh!

In the same game, the moment that I still remember shrieking at (and then laughing at myself) was in the dollmaker's house, searching all the drawers for a key or something like that and a doll fell off a shelf at the other end of the room.

In FFVII I still remember climbing Shinra Tower and following the trail of blood that Sephiroth had left behind. Considering I'd mostly played Sonic and the like beforehand it was a bit of a watershed moment. Definite tangible dread there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

The clickers from TLOU were pretty good, especially that one sewer part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzDMlxV7Y9k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

berzerkers in gears of war, they reacted to sound so you had to stay quiet. that noise they made as they thundered towards you and instadeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Doom 3 for me the use of light/shadows and sound was unbelievably ahead of its time, the first hour or so of that game played with the lights off in the room had me ****ting it !!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Ecco the Dolphin. Not exactly scary although it had one or two jumpy moments, but creepy and unsettling atmosphere throughout. Weird music and the sound Ecco made when hurt was horrible.

Advertisement