Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions on an MTB

Options
  • 22-06-2014 5:55pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good MTB for around €1500? Would prefer dual suspension, but i know they won't be as good quality at that price range, so i'd be happy with a good hardtail. Will use it for a mix of road and off road cycling. Nothing too intensive though.

Had a 29er last, and it was a bit big for my liking, so i'm thinking a 27.5 or just a standard mtb. So far, i'm liking to two below.

Giant Trance 27.5 4 = €1599
    Giant Trance X3 = €1499

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

A Trance would be total overkill for your proposed use! It will be very heavy and "bouncy" for use on road and hard work for anything other than fairly technical riding! I'm pretty sure the lower end models have no rear suspension lockout either? If you are determined to buy a full suspension Giant then an Anthem would be a much better bet but, as you said yourself, it sounds like a good hardtail would seem like a more sensible option!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Would you be interested in buying second hand? I've not used my 2007 s-works epic in a year or more and it'd suit your budget and use.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, maybe a hardtail would be better. Planning on going in to a shop to have a look around, so will check them out. For hardtails, how about the Cube SL 27.5?

I'm not to familiar with anything other than Cube and Giant, so would take any recommendations.
    Idleater wrote: »
    Would you be interested in buying second hand? I've not used my 2007 s-works epic in a year or more and it'd suit your budget and use.

Cheers for the offer, but i think i'd rather get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

For just over your budget id be tempted by http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3280#tab-reiter2 ,sweet looking bike in the acid storm colour ....... :)

So, i'm reconsidering the full suspension now, and will probably pick something up in the next few weeks.

The Canyon CF 6.9 seems to be pretty decent, but would there be a better one out there for around the same price? Any good 27.5 hardtails knocking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The Rose Count Solo 2 would set you back around €1500. 27.5" Hardtail, 100mm travel in the fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LagunaSeca

So you don't have to upgrade again too soon I would recommend:
    full suspension (rear shock lockout essential though)
    minimum 120mm travel on front fork
    overall weight no more that 13.5kg preferable

Canyons are great value and have options to fit your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Stick with Giant, there's a showroom on the LMR with a full range, and the Talon is just what you need: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.talon.27.5.0/15005/66622/

• Advertisement

Ok, i'm ordering a Canyon today or tomorrow, but i was just wondering if someone could tell me if there's a big difference between the components in the two bikes below. One is full suspension, and the other is a hardtail, but both are the same price, at €1599. If they aren't that much different, i'll probably go with the full suspension (because it looks brilliant - i know, stupid reason), but would happily take the hardtail if the parts are significantly better.

Frame | Canyon Nerve AL 29 (Full Suspension)
    Rear Shock | Fox Float CTD Performance BV
    Fork | Fox 32 Float 29 CTD Evolution
    Headset | Cane Creek Serie 40
    Rear Derailleur | Shimano Deore XT Shadow +
    Derailleur Hanger | Screw for derailleur hanger No. 21
    Front Derailleur | Shimano SLX E-Type 3x10
    Shifters | Shimano SLX SL|M670
    Brake levers | Avid Elixir 3
    Brakes | Avid Elixir 3
    Hubs | DT Swiss Spline M1900
    Cassette | Shimano CS-HG 62 10s 11-36
    Rims | DT Swiss Spline M1900
    Tyres | Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29" 2.25“ / Racing Ralph 29" 2.25“ Evolution
    Cranks | Shimano SLX FC|M672
    Chainrings | 40/30/22
    Bottom Bracket | Shimano SM|BB71
    Stem | Iridium \ 3 - 0 \
    Handlebar | Iridium \ 3 - 0 \
    Grips | Canyon Bracelets
    Saddle | Selle Italia X1
    Seat post |Iridium \ 3 - 0 \
    Weight | 12,85 kg

Frame | Canyon Grand Canyon CF SL (Hardtail)
    Fork | Fox 32 Float CTD Evolution 29"
    Headset | Cane Creek 40
    Rear Derailleur | Shimano Deore XT Shadow +
    Derailleur Hanger | Screw for derailleur hanger No. 21
    Front Derailleur | Shimano Deore XT FD-M786
    Shifters | Shimano Deore XT
    Brake levers | Formula Formula C1
    Brakes | Formula Formula C1
    Hubs | Mavic Crossride 29 Disc
    Cassette | Shimano CS-HG81-10 11-36
    Rims | Mavic Crossride 29
    Tyres | Continental X|King 2,2" RaceSport
    Cranks | Shimano SLX FC|M675
    Chainrings | 38/24
    Bottom Bracket | Shimano SM|BB71
    Stem | Iridium \ 3 - 0 \
    Handlebar | Ritchey Comp Flatbar
    Grips | Ergon GA-1
    Saddle | Selle Italia X1 Special Edition
    Seat post | Iridium \ 3 - 0 \
    Weight | 10,90 kg

Appreciate the help with this.

Go for the Fully... especially if this is your first MTB, it will be a lot more forgiving than a Carbon hardtail..
    No use comparing components as they are two different bikes, but the parts are pretty much the same anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

Kiith, you stated earlier that a 29 was too big for ya, what changed your mind.?????

I was out and sat on a few of them. Had a 29er before, and thought it was just a bit more unresponsive than the previous 26", but sitting on a 26 after spending 6 months on a 29er just felt weird.

If you're a tall person then a 29er won't feel so big..

Yeah, i'm 6,2" so its grand. Last bike i had was a Giant XTC 1 (29er), which was a carbon hardtail, so i've ridden on both (though it's 3 years since i had a full sus).

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I found that when I went from a hard tail to a full sus the first time the it took a bit of getting used to. The bottom bracket would get lower as the suspension compressed,and pedal strikes became really common for a little while,after the first few rides I adapted my style and they stopped

The hard tail in the 2 seems to have slightly better spec,it's geared more towards Cross country,but it might be worth trying the full sus seeing as you've a hard tail already

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

canyon is a good choice, their prices are reasonable. Have you considered Vitus bikes from chain reaction? I have the escape vrx and I couldn't be happier.
    I personally wouldn't spend 1500 on a second hand bike that has been used to come down mountains through roots and rocks...
    yt industries ans commercial could also be an option
    hope this help

oh sorry, 2014's post.... I didn't realise that! I'm sure you got sorted already... :)

Advertisement