Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think a lot of people ignore leg and core training?

• 22-06-2014 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I find that a lot of people in my gym, particularly men, seem to train upper torso a lot (heavy bench press, arm extension, shoulder press etc.) A lot of these same people never seem to do squat, leg press, ab curls and other leg and core exercises. Is it a thing that intense leg workouts require more energy and therefore people ignore or is it because displaying a well built upper body is associated with higher strength levels. I believe that heavy leg workouts help overall levels of strength and growth hormone. If leg/core training is central to achieving a high level of overall fitness, why do so many people ignore?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

They might do legs on alternate days when you're not there?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

nails1 wrote: »
    I find that a lot of people in my gym, particularly men, seem to train upper torso a lot (heavy bench press, arm extension, shoulder press etc.) A lot of these same people never seem to do squat, leg press, ab curls and other leg and core exercises. Is it a thing that intense leg workouts require more energy and therefore people ignore or is it because displaying a well built upper body is associated with higher strength levels. I believe that heavy leg workouts help overall levels of strength and growth hormone. If leg/core training is central to achieving a high level of overall fitness, why do so many people ignore?

That's because these guys are all pansies;)

Yeah there would be a good amount of men, especially in the more casual places like Ben Dunne's that might not be keen on training their legs. A lot of them would just be after looking good on a beach, which I've nothing against, your goals are your own.

Although I would always recommend that leg training be focused on when fat loss is the goal. Squatting, lunges and other whole body movements when done right are very taxing and can burn a ton of calories.

I wouldn't really believe the whole heavy workout releasing more testosterone theory or that it improves strength, I've found personally that after a number of those workouts week on week I tend to feel rundown and a bit weaker.
    Maybe that's just me and my own recovery rate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

They might do legs on alternate days when you're not there?

I doubt it as their biceps almost look as big as their legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Your workouts must take forever if you spend so long looking at what everyone else in the gym is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Your workouts must take forever if you spend so long looking at what everyone else in the gym is doing.

I think what he is saying is fairly common. Rarely see lads doing leg exercises in my gym either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I don't see why some people get bothered by it. It frees up the squat racks.

Most lads couldn't care less about being functional, they just wanna look good. Also, even the sporty folks just assume that doing leg weights will make your legs bulky and slow you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

I do agree that a lot of people ignore legs/do way more upper body than legs, but not that they ignore core. Abs are part of the "beach body" look that most of them are going for, so they do a bit of core. (Even if they don't realise that diet is far more important than a few crunches.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

CM24 wrote: »
    I don't see why some people get bothered by it. It frees up the squat racks.

Most lads couldn't care less about being functional, they just wanna look good. Also, even the sporty folks just assume that doing leg weights will make your legs bulky and slow you down.

It ****ing well does slow you down. Try running 6 miles after leg day :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

big_biceps_are_importanter_than_education_shirt-red48d1acae234d23a2ee7f2b1e6785ad_8n2jr_512.jpg?bg=0xffffff

plus leg work requires real effort.

Plenty of guys/gals out there doing all their running/cycling/swimming at the exact same pace because its their comfort zone and therefore they rarely change

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Nope, but having been in the the same gym for a number of years, it is easy to notice these things among fellow members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

How important is core work? Like if you have over a certain amount of belly fat, is there any point in doing core work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

siblers wrote: »
    How important is core work? Like if you have over a certain amount of belly fat, is there any point in doing core work?

Having a strong core is good for you whether you can see your abs or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

To many people spend way too long working their core. Maybe a few more situps and other weird crap and my abs will finally pop out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Who cares.

Being a fat lad who can squat a bit and hating on dudes who don't train but are ****ing jacked doesn't make you cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I don't care if you are a fat powerlifter, jacked mofo or hench. If you ain't DENCH you ain't nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I've been following the 5X5 for about 6 months and it involves the squat every visit to the gym.

Its not all positive, your legs are fu*ked until about time its ready for the gym again and it hurts. Also I think my thighs are big 27" and I went to get a pair of Jeans on Saturday and some hard job getting them to fit, really ended up leaving with the best of a bad bunch.

I'm now wondering if I'll level off with my squats, as I can't afford to get tailored clothes:(, my upper-body is pretty normal.

Advertisement