Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meter - what do the units on the meter represent in terms of cost?

Options
  • 22-06-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

I opened my water meter access just to check what the current reading is and it says "9".

What does that unit represent and how does it translate to litres/cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't think unit prices have been announced yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Units are generally cubic meters which is 1000 litres. No actual figures exist for what they're going to charge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yowch so 9,000 litres consumed since the meter was installed? I blame the power shower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Might not be the shower! Do you have a washing machine? dishwasher? garden hose? sprinklers?? All of those will take a good bit of water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Might not be the shower! Do you have a washing machine? dishwasher? garden hose? sprinklers?? All of those will take a good bit of water...

Yep, anything up to 100L per use for a washing machine especially if it's an older model. Garden hose, depending on your water pressure, 5-20L per minute (and if you're anything like me you don't bother to pinch off the flow when walking from one flower patch to the other :o )

• Advertisement

It's actually not too bad. The meter has been in around a month, so (assuming 0.2 cent per litre) that's 9000*0.2 = €18 per month, or €216 per year.

Thought for a sec it'd be up around €1000 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Most meters are not at zero when installed.

Cheers, I'll have a look a month from now and see the difference just to get an idea of the sort of monthly usage

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How will they calculate the first charge then assuming all the installed meters are ticking over.

• Advertisement

They don't. AFAIK, everyone will be charged a rate until 2017 when all meters will have been installed.

Double post...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kneemos wrote: »
    How will they calculate the first charge then assuming all the installed meters are ticking over.

Like the electricity and gas they'll take a meter reading and charge from then on.
    They don't. AFAIK, everyone will be charged a rate until 2017 when all meters will have been installed.

And some people will still be paying a rate:mad: role on Peckham Spring when the charges come in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mrcheez wrote: »
    Yowch so 9,000 litres consumed since the meter was installed? I blame the power shower!

Its not that much. The average household uses about 180l per person per day. 9000l is abou 13 days worth for a 4 person family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

The sooner these shower of c###s are kicked out of government the better.
    People are poor enough without having to pay for water which is toxic with lead, mercury, chlorine, fluoride.
    They are taking the p***.
    Leaking pipes are the problem, it rains a hell of a lot in Winter, Spring and Autumn.
    They have more than enough money to fix leaking pipes from taxes already including potholes.

I for one will never pay for tap water.
    The smell, the taste and the internal damage it does to your bones, brain and immune system.

Everybody should vote for Sinn Fein and Independents.
    It is a waste of time ever voting for Fianna Fail, Labour or Fine Gael, they are all in cahoots with one another.
    The Dail is just puppet theatre!
    Lying dictators in suits.
    Democracy my a##!

If you keep voting for these crowd who are subservient to Europe then the future will be even bleaker for the Citizens of Ireland.
    The amount of people who are protesting nationwide about water meters and water charges and they just ignore everybody's wishes, increase the number of Garda at peaceful protests.

Did we have a say in water meters being installed and water charges?
    No, therefore they are dictators in power!
    The quality of water in Meath for the last quarter century is dire.
    Undrinkable!
    :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@FREETV This is the Consumer Issues forum. If you want to discuss politics or economics, please go to the relevant forum. If you want to have a good old rant, we also have forums that cater for that.

dudara

Advertisement