Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Physics- How to improve?

• 22-06-2014 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I'm going into 6th Year in August and I really want/need to improve my Physics grade for the Leaving. In my Summer Test I got a C1 (67%) and I was really disappointed with that. I thought I knew my experiments, formulas and facts off to a high standard but apparently not.

Does anyone know what an effective way of revising Physics? I've tried so many different ways and none have ever gotten me above a C1, I'm fairly good at the Maths part of Physics and the definitions and laws just have to be learnt. I really would like to end up getting a B3 in the actual thing.

Can anyone recommend a revision book I could pick up? I was thinking about getting the Essentials Unfolded for Physics or do any of you think there is a better one out there?

Thanks for any of help you can provide in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, and it's super important you don't tell anyone...the last decade-and-a-half's worth of exam papers is published online with all the answers.

On a serious note, the VAST majority of people don't utilise that resource. I'm convinced that students would value that archive (examinations.ie) so much more were it not freely accessible.

Don't be too ambitious, but perfecting Section-A is more than doable - anyone should be aiming for 85%+. As well as that, Q5's constantly repeat and, though more difficult than most admit IMO, the option has very little content in it and should be possible to rote-learn. That should have you well on the way to a B. Enjoy your summer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Exam Edge (by Dan O' Regan) is excellent, much better than the Chemistry one.

A great revision book as it includes past exam questions (adjusting the figures so no cheating ;)), and potential future ones.

Anyway, you'd want to learn off the definitions by heart by October, doing exam papers will drill them in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Exam Edge (by Dan O' Regan) is excellent, much better than the Chemistry one.

A great revision book as it includes past exam questions (adjusting the figures so no cheating ;)), and potential future ones.

Anyway, you'd want to learn off the definitions by heart by October, doing exam papers will drill them in :)

I looked that up and it seems great although it says it complements the usage of the textbook "Real World Physics" which we don't use. Would that be a problem or?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Troxck wrote: »
    I looked that up and it seems great although it says it complements the usage of the textbook "Real World Physics" which we don't use. Would that be a problem or?

Nah it won't be, although that book is great too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

Exam papers, exam papers, exam papers, exam papers! I promise you there is nothing new in the world as far as the SEC is concerned. Constant practice will really help you learn how to approach questions, the words needed, and how to do the 'classic' questions (hf=mc^2 anyone?)

Essentials unfolded is good, but a touch overly condensed. It can be tough to deal with the sensory overload while reading it. I'd recommend the physicsteacher.ie notes, they give not only the facts and figures but also some background info for better fundamental understanding. I actually have them all printed out which was such a godsend when my class fell off the rails.

You probably don't have the course done yet but when you do outline what questions you're most open to doing in an exam and attack them. My approach was always: Q. 5, 6, 10, 12 and another. Q5 rewards proper use of the maths tables (which you should get very familiar with over the summer), Q.6 can be far more approachable than people expect (except this year *shakes fist*), Q.10 is the option and is oh so repetitive, and Q.12 isn't long enough to get into enough detail to make it difficult. Learn your experiments very very well for a solid result in part A. Then part B only needs practice.

By all means get your hands on a good revision book, but use it well. I'd recommend starting at the latest exam year possible and just go for the questions. Correct them according to the marking schemes (None of the "I would have gotten that!", be harsh). Figure out what you don't know and focus on that. Rinse and repeat and learn to read the minds of the SEC. That was my strategy in Physics and Chemistry and it served me really well

• Advertisement
Advertisement