Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to resit certain subjects for LC?

• 22-06-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

The guy who does the predictions on youtube did 27 LC subjects, as far as I know he didn't do them in the same year (would be pretty hard!). So how can you go back and sit certain subjects that you didn't do in school? Can you simply just learn the course at home then apply to sit the exam? Is there an age limit? Are these subjects added to CAO points? If so, then what stops people from studying one or 2 subjects after they leave school and get an A in the LC? (would be a lot easier studying 2 subjects in your spare time for a whole year than 6+ at once)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

As far as I know:
    So how can you go back and sit certain subjects that you didn't do in school? YES
    Can you simply just learn the course at home then apply to sit the exam? YES
    Is there an age limit? NO
    Are these subjects added to CAO points? NO
    If so, then what stops people from studying one or 2 subjects after they leave school and get an A in the LC? (would be a lot easier studying 2 subjects in your spare time for a whole year than 6+ at once)

Your LC points are from your highest 6 subjects in one sitting.

e.g. Sitting one: you got 400 points in the leaving with a D in French.
    Sitting two: you got 390 points but an A in French.

If you college entry requirements are 400 points and an A in French, you meet the minimum requirements: both the points requirement (from the first sitting only) and the French grade requirement (from the second sitting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I repeated Irish this year to fulfil the requirements for primary school teaching (I originally did Irish in 2002). The school I did it in offered a specific class aimed at mature students.

I guess there's nothing stopping you from registering as an external candidate to sit exams in different subjects. I'd say you can teach yourself, get your own teacher or take classes at a private school/PLC college that do repeat leaving cert. When I did Irish this year we just sat the exam in our teacher's school but he said our local schools should have been able to accommodate us if we wanted.

You can only tally points from one sitting of your Leaving Cert. When I repeated my LC in 2003 the lowest result I got was a C2. If I got a B3 in the Irish exam I sat this year I can't substitute the B3 for the C2...not that it matters at my age anyway.

There's no age limit either as far as I know. People much older than 17/18 sit the LC every year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can do as many or as few LC subjects as you want, apart from the prohibited combinations. You apply to the SEC to sit them in January of the year you intend to sit the exam.
    You can't use the piecemeal results for the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

How does repeating practical subjects work? Is it necessary to go to school to do the project work?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How does repeating practical subjects work? Is it necessary to go to school to do the project work?

You need to have it supervised by a teacher who then signs a form saying the work is your own. This is where some external people run into problems as the teacher needs to be able to say they saw the work as it was being done, not just a completed finished piece/essay/project.

• Advertisement
Advertisement