Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice pls business landlord

Options
  • 22-06-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

need advice/help I've a barbers 10yrs we do gents boys and girls under 12 I'm also a trained hairdresser...long story short we are in a complex of 9 shop units and our landlord has just leased premises right beside us to a hairdressers unisex...can we block it or something as it will create competition loss of business directly I know competition is good for consumers but right next door it's hard enough these days.
    any help would be greatly appreciated very nervous this could close down my business and I still have 13 yrs on lease

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

redmac2008 wrote: »
    need advice/help I've a barbers 10yrs we do gents boys and girls under 12 I'm also a trained hairdresser...long story short we are in a complex of 9 shop units and our landlord has just leased premises right beside us to a hairdressers unisex...can we block it or something as it will create competition loss of business directly I know competition is good for consumers but right next door it's hard enough these days.
    any help would be greatly appreciated very nervous this could close down my business and I still have 13 yrs on lease

If your unit and the unit next door have the same landlord, read your lease to see if there's an exclusivity clause that would prevent your landlord from leasing a unit to someone in direct competition.

PS sound like despite your qualifications you're actually a barbers for men. Sounds like next door is more a hairdressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 redmac2008

tenifan wrote: »
    If your unit and the unit next door have the same landlord, read your lease to see if there's an exclusivity clause that would prevent your landlord from leasing a unit to someone in direct competition.

PS sound like despite your qualifications you're actually a barbers for men. Sounds like next door is more a hairdressers.

thanks tenifan no lease doesn't say anything was young starting out assumed that would've been in it (have learnt alot)
    I know they will be mainly focused on ladies but if they under cut us on kids (boys) which is 60% of our business we couldn't take that kind of hit even lossing 10% of business be make or break
    someone suggested doing a side note on lease to state they will do no males and we say we will do no ladies as our orginal lease was hairdressers it would safe guard us if future tenents move as these tenants have verbally said already they won't be doing males.
    I know some people might think I'm worried over nothing but when it's paying for hse etc u have to factor in all future's.
    thanks again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wouldn't say your worried over nothing tbh as it does seem strange for your landlord to bring in a business that could potentially put one of his current tenants out of business.

I've no idea on the legal side of things but have you spoken to your landlord about this? If not I'd get onto him/her and let him/her know your worries as now is the time to get things defined as opposed to when the other company is up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moved from Work and Jobs / Work Problems

Having more then one place in the same spot might not be a bad thing, especially if one is focused on kids and the other on adults. I grew up near glasthule where two barber shops owned by father and son were across the street from each other, with a womens salon up the road. I would talk to them and try and work something out on how best to maximise both your businesses and not take each others customers

• Advertisement
Advertisement