Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers license new york

Options
  • 22-06-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hey

Can somebody talk me through the process for applying for a NY drivers license when I have an Irish license. I have been to the dmv site but it's just confusing me.

I know I still apply for the learners permit but can I drive unsupervised with it (since I hold a valid international license) and do I need to hand in my Irish license once I receive the Ny state license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

You must apply for a new, original NYS driver license and can’t exchange a driver license that is

issued outside the U.S. or Canada
    not a photo driver license
    a learner permit
    a temporary or interim driver license
    a hardship or an "employment only driver license"
    expired for more than 12 months
    a non-commercial driver license valid for less than 6 months
    a driver license marked "non-renewable" or "non-transferable"
    http://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/exchange-out-state-driver-license

You will have to do the test but wont need a learner permit.
    To get a NYS driver license, you must pass a written test,complete a 5-hour pre-licensing course and pass a road test to qualify for a NYS driver license.

Bit of a bummer Ill be in the same boat as you at the end of August.

Advertisement