Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Making Whistling Noise

Options
  • 22-06-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My laptop randomly makes a loud screeching sharp whistling noise. Can this be fixed or whats wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Something stuck in the fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Hi,

My laptop randomly makes a loud screeching sharp whistling noise. Can this be fixed or whats wrong?

Try hoovering the air inlets and outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Sounds like a fan issue,,, one of the lads in college had the same problem, worked out that a little tiny piece from the heat sink had came loose and was stuck in the fan.... Open her up if you are any good with that and take a look...

Just a word of caution, do not stick a hoover near your laptop,,, instead get a can of compressed air to blow anything away..

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

So it is fixable? Not a expensive job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Hard to say without looking at the machine if its fixable. But like someone already said, compressed air in a can

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Had similar issue with noise from a laptop fan.

First, I just hoovered the dust out of the laptop and it worked okay for some time. I got another year or so out of the fan.

Eventually, the noises from the fan became too loud and no amount of cleaning would stop them. I had to order a new fan. I opened the laptop, got the serial number from a sticker on the side of the fan, googled that number, and ordered a new one from some English website for about €15 or so.

It was just a case of disconnect the old fan and connect the new one. No soldering or anything like that required.

Simple and cheap to fix.

Hard to say without looking at the machine if its fixable. But like someone already said, compressed air in a can

Would a empty derodent can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Haha your joking right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is a noise, not a smell.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It is a noise, not a smell.:)

A depressurized aerosol can will be equally useless for both purposes! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If you take the laptop apart to get at the fan, you can give it a sqirt of WD40 aerosol as a temporary fix. This will stop the sceam for a week or two while the new fan arrives. If the fan stops, the processor could be damaged, so try and fix it soon.

Well where would I can a compressed can of air?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Well where would I can a compressed can of air?

Amazon, Maplins etc

Advertisement