Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking

Options
  • 22-06-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Last Wednesday I started to take up walking. I've been walking every day but was just wondering what distance I should be covering? On Wednesday it was about 3km, Thursday I went a bit mad and walked 14.8km, Friday 3km and yesterday and today about 5km both days. I will eventually move onto jogging but not being the fittest person in the world I thought I'd start off simple.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Distance depends on what you're aiming for and how fit you are or aren't, I suppose.
    3/15/3/5/5 sounds nice enough maybe change one of those 5 km walks to a longer one.

Couch to 5k is an excellent program to incorporate also, it'll build you up slowly into jogging in short intervals

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Thanks for that. How much longer will I change the 5k to? I don't mind walking the same distance every day. This mornings walk was 6.5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

7 or 8 seems like a reasonable balance to me

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    Couch to 5k is an excellent program to incorporate also, it'll build you up slowly into jogging in short intervals

I'd second that. You could do it at the start without even getting into jogging. Just pick up the pace of your walk for the period of time specified for jogging.
    In time you'll feel able for light jogging and so on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement