Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled in cooling off period, received €209.06 bill

Options
  • 22-06-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Firstly, this saga with eircom has been ongoing since the end of last year, and I decided to try a post here first because next I'll be going to ComReg. It's long but I want all the details here.

We had an eircom salesman come to our door in Nov 2013 and signed up for broadband there and then. We changed our minds soon after hearing about bad customer service experiences and rang up on 11 Nov to cancel the order. During the call we were assured the order wouldn't go through. 

13 Nov eircom had taken over our phone line anyway because someone from eircom left my husband a voicemail giving the account number to pass to our current providers to take back the line. So we went ahead did that.

Yet still, on 25 Nov, we got a "welcome to eircom!" text anyway -____-
    We called to cancel and asked point blank would we face charges? We were assured on the call that we were in our "cooling off" period and would face no charges.

In Dec 2013 I got a bill for €199.29: "residential line early cease charge". Rang eircom on 28 Dec and was told this was a mistake as we only had the standalone broadband and this was a phone line charge. It was refunded on the call. Grand.

In Jan 2014 I received a "final bill" from eircom for €9.77. 
    The bill was confusing but showed a "broadband early cease charge" of €237.49, minus some credit, minus some VAT, totaling €209.06. Then €199.29 from above was subtracted, and the total amount due was €9.77
    I didn't think we should have owed anything but it wasn't too much so I didn't dispute it and left it to the Direct Debit.

Apparently our DD failed, because on 1 April I received a letter from the Overdue Account Office for the sum of €209.06 (what happened to €9.77!?)
    As stated above, this amount is from a "broadband early cease charge" of €237.49, minus some credit, minus some VAT.
    I called eircom and spoke to someone in cancellations, who said I needed to speak to someone in billing but that department had closed for the night.

On 4 April after getting transferred around a few times, I finally spoke to a nice lady (can provider her name) in Customer Loyalty, Moving/Cancellations. She said that the original final bill of €9.77 would be credited back to us because we had cancelled in the cooling off period and we owed 0

I got back from holidays this week to find a letter from a Debt Collections Company dated 19th June seeking the sum of €209.06 for eircom.

TL;DR
    I would like this "debt" sorted after being told on multiple occasions that we had cancelled in the cooling off period and we owed 0
    I would also like eircom to adjust any negatives they may have applied to my ICB record too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

mSe265 wrote: »
    Firstly, this saga with eircom has been ongoing since the end of last year, and I decided to try a post here first because next I'll be going to ComReg. It's long but I want all the details here.

We had an eircom salesman come to our door in Nov 2013 and signed up for broadband there and then. We changed our minds soon after hearing about bad customer service experiences and rang up on 11 Nov to cancel the order. During the call we were assured the order wouldn't go through. 

13 Nov eircom had taken over our phone line anyway because someone from eircom left my husband a voicemail giving the account number to pass to our current providers to take back the line. So we went ahead did that.

Yet still, on 25 Nov, we got a "welcome to eircom!" text anyway -____-
    We called to cancel and asked point blank would we face charges? We were assured on the call that we were in our "cooling off" period and would face no charges.

In Dec 2013 I got a bill for €199.29: "residential line early cease charge". Rang eircom on 28 Dec and was told this was a mistake as we only had the standalone broadband and this was a phone line charge. It was refunded on the call. Grand.

In Jan 2014 I received a "final bill" from eircom for €9.77. 
    The bill was confusing but showed a "broadband early cease charge" of €237.49, minus some credit, minus some VAT, totaling €209.06. Then €199.29 from above was subtracted, and the total amount due was €9.77
    I didn't think we should have owed anything but it wasn't too much so I didn't dispute it and left it to the Direct Debit.

Apparently our DD failed, because on 1 April I received a letter from the Overdue Account Office for the sum of €209.06 (what happened to €9.77!?)
    As stated above, this amount is from a "broadband early cease charge" of €237.49, minus some credit, minus some VAT.
    I called eircom and spoke to someone in cancellations, who said I needed to speak to someone in billing but that department had closed for the night.

On 4 April after getting transferred around a few times, I finally spoke to a nice lady (can provider her name) in Customer Loyalty, Moving/Cancellations. She said that the original final bill of €9.77 would be credited back to us because we had cancelled in the cooling off period and we owed 0

I got back from holidays this week to find a letter from a Debt Collections Company dated 19th June seeking the sum of €209.06 for eircom.

TL;DR
    I would like this "debt" sorted after being told on multiple occasions that we had cancelled in the cooling off period and we owed 0
    I would also like eircom to adjust any negatives they may have applied to my ICB record too
    Hi mSe265

I am very sorry to hear of the inconvenience this has caused, please PM me your eircom account number associated to this issue and I will look in to this further.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mSe265

Thanks, PM sent

Thanks, PM sent
    Thanks for that mSe265

I will need to obtain more information from our accounts team and look in to this in detail, as soon as I have more information I will get back to you in reply to your PM.

Thanks
    Al

Hi mSe265

I just wanted to touch base and let you know that I'm waiting on information from credit management, as soon as I have an update or resolution on this I will make sure to get in touch with you right away.

Thanks
    Al

Cheers for the update, Alan

• Advertisement

Cheers for the update, Alan
    No worries mSe265

I'll keep you updated daily until I have a final update on this issue.

Thanks
    Al

Any news?

Any news?

Hi mSe265

Apologies for the delays - I was unavailable on Friday however I did receive confirmation from credit management that the outstanding amount has been completely cleared and will be no longer sought by eircom or any other parties on behalf of eircom.

Apologies for all inconveniences this has caused.

Thanks
    Al

Woo hoo thanks! Will I get anything in the post saying the same?

Woo hoo thanks! Will I get anything in the post saying the same?
    Hi mSe265

No worries, a letter is not arranged but if you want to PM me your email address I can send a confirmation email?

Al

• Advertisement

Thanks PM sent :)

Thanks PM sent :)
    Thanks mSe265

I will make sure you get the email today :)

Al

Hi Alan, was that email sent yesterday? I didn't receive it

Hi Alan, was that email sent yesterday? I didn't receive it
    Hi mSe265

Apologies, I'll make sure you have it before 12 o'clock :)

Thanks

Al

Got it there now. Thanks

Got it there now. Thanks
    Thanks mSe265

Al

Hi Alan,

Today I received a letter dated 14th July from a solicitor on behalf of Eircom seeking €209.06. 

I really hoped this had actually been sorted. Why 2 weeks after this thread am I still getting letters?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi Alan,

Today I received a letter dated 14th July from a solicitor on behalf of Eircom seeking €209.06. 

I really hoped this had actually been sorted. Why 2 weeks after this thread am I still getting letters?

Thanks
    Hi mse265

I do apologise for this as having read this thread it does appear that this was all resolved previously by Al. Unfortunately Al is out of the office today and I do not have access to his PM's. Can you PM me the account no and I will follow this up with Credit Management,

thank you

Colm

Thanks, Colm. PM sent

Thanks, Colm. PM sent
    Hi mSe265

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing - I can assure you this was will not be saught however I will need to investigate what caused this letter to be sent. Please ignore this letter and as soon as I have more information I will let you know right away.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement