Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portugal v USA; (On Telly)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Best player in the world keeps his poor team in with a small chance

What? Rooney and England are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Really want to see Ronaldo bawling his eyes out at full time

:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

What a ball from Ronaldo, cross of the tournament and a great finish.

The cross for Ruiz's goal was equally as good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Christ the US will be kicking themselves. All Bradley had to do there was control it in the middle and Portugal were going home but he lost it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just play out a draw with Germany and they'll both go through. Klinsmann, set that up good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This World Cup is an absolute privilege. Best ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ronaldo does it. Beauty of a cross.

Unfortunately for him, unlike Messi his defense has already conceded two.

You keep bringing this up dont you!!!
    Why o why does it come down to messi v ronaldo when either of them do something good, or something bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 HSAJT

Football reached a peak at the 2014 world cup, it has to be all downhill after this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭unichick

Ah balls 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A pity Ghana didn't beat the Germans when they had those chances. It would have made it some final series of games. Germany and the USA will be content with a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

2nd best :p

Brian kerr: "What a ball, right on the miraculous medal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dunphy is ssssssoooooo f***ing depressed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I asked after another match during the week if this was the best group stage in a World Cup ever and I now that it is.
    Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Ghana can damage this Portugal team

Portugal are a poor team. US so unlucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Billy86 wrote: »
    Dunphy is ssssssoooooo f***ing depressed! :D

Why wouldnt he, the better team didnt get what they deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

If football ended forever after the past 2 weeks we could have no complaints.

This has been fantastically amazing. Football, bloody hell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

That was suarez the other night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

USA defended alright. I think they wont lose by much hopefully that will be enough.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    The cross for Ruiz's goal was equally as good.

A fine cross but the one I just saw was just sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Phil Neville, you plank :D

For Jones' screamer. "Goalie should at least dive. Make an effort". Despite Brad Friedel clearly explaining why the goalie hadn't a hope. Not that it should have needed explaining to anyone with any visual capacity.

Edit: Starting to sound like he may not have got on very well with Tim Timminiy when at Everton/United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Portugal are so poor though, Eder? ****ing Eder? Jesus he is a waste of a jersey

You can bitch and moan about Nani but at least he influences a game more often then not, he is a threat, Eder was beyond woeful. Defensively they were awful, the defending of the corner is poor, but it is one hell of a strike fair play. The second was a disgrace at this level, delighted for Dempsey though.

Ronaldo coming up with the goods at the death, I honestly think they may as well just ditch whatever useless striker they are planning on playing in the next game and play a forward line of Nani, Varela and Ronaldo. Let Ronnie play through the middle, he will be a nightmare for Ghana and Portugal need goals cause Ghana are capable of scoring but are also useless at the back.

Raul Meireles is so bad by the way, just start Carvalho to marshall the midfield and get rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fudge You wrote: »
    Why wouldnt he, the better team didnt get what they deserved!
    Because he got to see a magic player do something magic and show why he is one of the best the game has ever seen. It's Dunphy, he likes that stuff. Usually. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I think I'll stop watching football after this world cup, no amount of club football can match the drama that we've seen thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Great game. Great tournament. So much drama to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

kryogen wrote: »
    SUCK THAT RONALDO HATING FRIENDS

Post of the decade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's be hilarious if Germany and the us did a braveheart and ran at each other screaming for blood at the kick off then all started laughing and hugging in the centre circle and spent 90 minutes chatting while neuer and Howard hoof the ball back and forward to each other over their heads. :-)

That hurt a few people here hard :pac:

Butt. Hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

My maths is bad, will someone please explain the possible outcomes to me :o

A light loss might even do for USA if Portugal don't hammer Ghana, is that right? But then Ghana could conceivably beat this Portugal side by 2 goals to catch up with a defeated USA.

Mon lads, just play a draw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

It's be hilarious if Germany and the us did a braveheart and ran at each other screaming for blood at the kick off then all started laughing and hugging in the centre circle and spent 90 minutes chatting while neuer and Howard hoof the ball back and forward to each other over their heads. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1%E2%80%930_Austria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

When did Jurgen Klinnsman get a Christopher Walken accent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Brian kerr: "What a ball, right on the miraculous medal"

fckin hate living in england reading gems like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Totally undeserved by Portugal, why didn't the USA just hold it in the corner!!
    Germany and USA playing in the last game, a draw and both go through.
    Can't see either team killing themselves for that one.
    Hope Ghana hammer Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nearly ten minutes of waffle from the panel there about whether Americans will now finally get soccer.
    Literally nothing said about the second half yet.

Nice bit of patronisation of American fans there from Dunphy - "What's a draw? Nobody wins?"

Please Eamonn just go home, it's way past your bedtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

If they do play for a draw will they be breaching any rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bradley was quality, I knew they were in big trouble when he lost the ball at the end there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Wonder if the Yanks at home are still waiting on overtime to start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pretty tired of Portugal stinking tournaments out.
    Ah crap. Bradley shouldn't have tried holding it up in the middle of the field. Should have been belted up field.

He did well to get to it, then he was expecting Jones to run forward but didn't with his cramp minutes previously. So he was stuck with four players around him.

• Advertisement

Nice bit of patronisation of American fans there from Dunphy - "What's a draw? Nobody wins?"

Please Eamonn just go home, it's way past your bedtime.

Michael o'Neill and Richie Sadlier looked about as embarrassed as two guys stuck in a lift with a man who has just let off a ripper and to be fair it was verbal diarrhea if were being metaphorical about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

vidor wrote: »

Yeah but they play the final games at the same time now to stop such shenanigans :')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

If they do play for a draw will they be breaching any rules.

Yeah but its nigh on impossible to prove that they haven't "tried" to win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I reckon USA desrved to win that, and i always love them in the World Cup, but I'm glad Ronaldo is still in it with something to play for.

Brilliant World Cup.

Bring on tomorrow.

Portugal deserved nothing from that game and if the Ghana we saw last night turn up in the next game. Then they could tear Portugal apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Yeah but its nigh on impossible to prove that they haven't "tried" to win the game.

OK.
    But even if they admitted it, is there some rule that says you must play to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

OK.
    But even if they admitted it, is there some rule that says you must play to win

Ireland were guilty of the same thing with the Dutch to put Egypt out.

Christ the US will be kicking themselves. All Bradley had to do there was control it in the middle and Portugal were going home but he lost it.
    The lad with the dreadlocks should've taken the ball off him I thought.
    A pity Ghana didn't beat the Germans when they had those chances. It would have made it some final series of games. Germany and the USA will be content with a draw.
    I'd be amazed in Germany don't step things up a bit after their last match.

My maths is bad, will someone please explain the possible outcomes to me :o

A light loss might even do for USA if Portugal don't hammer Ghana, is that right? But then Ghana could conceivably beat this Portugal side by 2 goals to catch up with a defeated USA.

Mon lads, just play a draw!

Can't see the Germans playing out a draw, there is too much at stake, if they were already through I would give the USA more hope in that game, but Germany know if they win thats it. Doesnt matter about anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Totally underserved by Portugal. Feel sorry for Ronnie what an woeful team he has to carry. Wonderful assist.

Advertisement