Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portugal v USA; (On Telly)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yeah but they play the final games at the same time now to stop such shenanigans :')

Could still happen - Germany and USA both need a draw regardless of the score in the other game to be sure of qualification though to be fair Germany's goal difference means they are as good as through anyway.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I reckon USA desrved to win that, and i always love them in the World Cup, but I'm glad Ronaldo is still in it with something to play for.

Brilliant World Cup.

Bring on tomorrow.

I realise footballers naturally have big egos but i cannot fathom the love affair the world has with this planet sized meglomaniac.

When his team is ahead i accept its hard to live with him but he nearly loses the will to live when his team need to dig deep. A horrible self serving idiot. Give me Messi any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

No doubt there will be a deal between Germany and USA. Klinsmann at the end even looked like a man who knows they're through.

It happens though. We did it ourselves for the last 20 minutes against Holland in Italia 90 which screwed Scotland. Trappatoni's Italy were famously screwed by a Scandinavian pact in Euro 2004. It happens. No doubt it'll happen again in this group now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

kryogen wrote: »
    Can't see the Germans playing out a draw, there is too much at stake, if they were already through I would give the USA more hope in that game, but Germany know if they win thats it. Doesnt matter about anything else.

Germany top the group with a draw. Think they might take a point each :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Can't see the Germans playing out a draw, there is too much at stake, if they were already through I would give the USA more hope in that game, but Germany know if they win thats it. Doesnt matter about anything else.

If they both draw both are through as they will have 5 points Portugal and Ghana can only get 4 points if either of them win their game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wow what an ending that was, cruel on the USA but it was a peach of a cross from Ronaldo. That is Portugal as good as gone goal difference too tough to make up not to mention Ghana would probably beat them. Real poor team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

This is crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Portugal doing their usual tournament performances. Just a complete lack of urgency, even when 2-1 down. Nani had more of the ball than most and didn't do much with it 80% of the time, he certainly doesn't influence it more often than not as someone said earlier. US played well and deserved to win that game, but I don't agree that they have a good defence, if Portugal had any sort of half decent striker they would have scored a few tonight, as bad as they were.

Ronaldo looked completely out of it tonight, just wasn't with it at all. Was really disappointed with Moutinho tonight, he seemed intimidated by the USA midfield tonight and bottled it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Benimar wrote: »
    Germany top the group with a draw. Think they might take a point each :)

Why take the chance though? They will surely feel they are the better team, that if they play well, create and take chances they will win. They are a far superior team in all fairness. Why look to play conservative and give the other team the chance of a lucky break that puts them in a weaker position for the knock outs?

A flick from a corner, a weird OG, a moment of magic like the Jones strike. They will not take the field with the mind set to allow for chance, they will look to take it into their own hands and put it to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I realise footballers naturally have big egos but i cannot fathom the love affair the world has with this planet sized meglomaniac.

When his team is ahead i accept its hard to live with him but he nearly loses the will to live when his team need to dig deep. A horrible self serving idiot. Give me Messi any day

Great post.

Ronaldo cares about Ronaldo. Messi all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I think the love affair is to do with the fact that he's incredibly good at football.

I struggle to see why anybody who has seen him at his best wouldn't want to see more of it.

I'm reasonably sure Messi has a serious ego too, for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

You don't have to like him, I don't know why the fact that others do annoys you.

And I'd hardly say there is a "love affair" with him. Just look at this thread as a sample and the amount of people relishing the prospect of him being knocked out and possibly crying. This obsession of wishing a great player to fail is a bit pathetic, and something I can't fathom myself.

If they both draw both are through as they will have 5 points Portugal and Ghana can only get 4 points if either of them win their game

There is no confusion about the permutations is there?

See my previous response for what I am talking about I guess.

Why take the chance though? They will surely feel they are the better team, that if they play well, create and take chances they will win. They are a far superior team in all fairness. Why look to play conservative and give the other team the chance of a lucky break that puts them in a weaker position for the knock outs?

A flick from a corner, a weird OG, a moment of magic like the Jones strike. They will not take the field with the mind set to allow for chance, they will look to take it into their own hands and put it to bed.

Their goal difference would take care of that unless Ghana win by 4 goals or Portugal by 7 goals

Their goal difference would take care of that unless Ghana win by 4 goals or Portugal by 7 goals

So you are saying Germany will go out there and not try to win the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Agenda much? His team needed to dig deep in the dying seconds of today's game I think he played a small part in the goal. No one forced you to choose a favourite between Messi and Ronaldo and love them for ever and for always. You're just acting like a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Could still happen - Germany and USA both need a draw regardless of the score in the other game to be sure of qualification though to be fair Germany's goal difference means they are as good as through anyway.

*Insert rainier wolfcastle meme here*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

shrewdness wrote: »
    This obsession of wishing a great player to fail is a bit pathetic, and something I can't fathom myself.

The majority of people love underdogs, and like champions to fall. Its the way it is.

Look at Iran yesterday, usa, Costa rica, chile.
    Many loved watching spain fail, barca & munich in last seasons champ league too... And then obviously seeing Utd coming 7th made a lot of people happy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

A horrible self serving idiot.

Ever see the way he looks up at the big screen to see if the camera is on him and when it is he plays up to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

True that, I don't think they would; on their day (or most days) they will hammer US, there's no need for them to take any risks. I just hope for my sake it ends in a natural draw. US and GER both entertaining teams to watch.

Would also be happy with a Ghana qualification, just not Portugal. Haven't given us anything this tournament so far, while almost every other team has spoilt us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This thread D-livers, those pining for Ronaldo tears now shedding some themselves

It's the effect being best in the world has, there will be some who dislike him

Can't see Portugal getting through, they are shocking and Ronnie is harbouring a few injuries so won't be able to carry them. USA and Germany to go through

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Ever see the way he looks up at the big screen to see if the camera is on him and when it is he plays up to it?

Yeah Messi loves himself.

So you are saying Germany will go out there and not try to win the game?

You would hope not but you never know

This thread D-livers, those pining for Ronaldo tears now shedding some themselves

It's the effect being best in the world has, there will be some who dislike him

Can't see Portugal getting through, they are shocking and Ronnie is harbouring a few injuries so won't be able to carry them. USA and Germany to go through

Fitness is a skill*

*I read this on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Would love to see Ghana and the USA going through. But I think the Ghanaians missed their chance against the Germans.

Don't forget too...... in these conditions, any team who has the luxury of putting out their reserve team in their 3rd group game has a potentially enormous advantage in the last 16 and perhaps beyond.

The set up of this group now means both Germany and USA can decide to do that if a deal is arranged. As obvious and all as it would make things.

Fudge You wrote: »
    Yeah Messi loves himself.

Not sure if this is sarcastic but its true, he does love himself, he has a huge ego

Its hardly surprising is it?

Yeah and I heard he tortures kitten and all....

... Ride me sideways was another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Don't forget too...... in these conditions, any team who has the luxury of putting out their reserve team in their 3rd group game has a potentially enormous advantage in the last 16 and perhaps beyond.

The set up of this group now means both Germany and USA can decide to do that if a deal is arranged. As obvious and all as it would make things.

There will be no deal arranged that would allow a second string team. There's no way they would get away with it. Not a chance.

• Advertisement

You would hope not but you never know

Yeah, that is a fair enough thought process. I just don't see it in this German teams mentality at all.

Sure we will soon find out I guess, see how the intensity is on the pitch.

Fudge You wrote: »
    The majority of people love underdogs, and like champions to fall. Its the way it is.

Look at Iran yesterday, usa, Costa rica, chile.
    Many loved watching spain fail, barca & munich in last seasons champ league too... And then obviously seeing Utd coming 7th made a lot of people happy...

I'm not talking about teams here. USA were the better team tonight and it was cruel how the game ended for them. Of course people root for the underdog but that wasn't my point.

No I'm talking about the obsession with a player failing. Alot of the talk was about Ronaldo losing and his reaction afterwards, some people couldn't wait to see the tears! It reminded me of the Champions League final, and a good bit of the talk was laughter at Ronaldo's expense rather than being glad Atletico were winning(before the late equaliser obviously).

At this stage no-ones opinions are going to be changed on him, but it's all a bit strange to me. I prefer to watch great players perform on the pitch and admire what they achieve, not wish some to fail from the start. He has a bit of an ego on the pitch, so what? He wouldn't be the first, I just like to watch him play, as I do all great players.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Yeah and I heard he tortures kitten and all...

Yep, he's a modern day Hitler only he's a professional soccer player and doesn't command an army but apart from those differences he's exactly the same.

I find the hate for Ronaldo weird. Some people just pull off the ego thing differently. Cantona for example was another. He had the ego to end all egos but I think generally more people enjoyed watching him. He could do no wrong. He managed to kick a fan* in the chest and still come out cool as ****

*Scumbag racist fan

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Sure we will soon find out I guess, see how the intensity is on the pitch.

Its a media driven thing imo

You have to pick a side all the time these days, fits the narrative, one gets painted as the bad guy, one the good.

I prefer to appreciate how lucky I am to witness two of the greatest to ever play the game first hand.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I think the love affair is to do with the fact that he's incredibly good at football.

I struggle to see why anybody who has seen him at his best wouldn't want to see more of it.

I'm reasonably sure Messi has a serious ego too, for what it's worth.

As i said already, i acknowledge that most footballers have egos..i just think Messi has more to back it up with. Messi stays on his feet despite tackles flying in while powder puff goes down if you are too near your telly. Messi was far more of a captain and leader than Ronaldo was for Portugal.
    [/B]
    Agenda much? His team needed to dig deep in the dying seconds of today's game I think he played a small part in the goal. No one forced you to choose a favourite between Messi and Ronaldo and love them for ever and for always. You're just acting like a child.

Take off the rose tinted glasses. He was considerably shíte all night He wasnt against technically good opposition but he has the heart the size of a pea when the chips are down. Im only offering my opinion. Its you and others that are getting defensive.
    You don't have to like him, I don't know why the fact that others do annoys you.

And I'd hardly say there is a "love affair" with him. Just look at this thread as a sample and the amount of people relishing the prospect of him being knocked out and possibly crying. This obsession of wishing a great player to fail is a bit pathetic, and something I can't fathom myself.

it doesn't annoy me. It puzzles me ill admit but it doesn't annoy me. The man himself annoys me after that champions league final the way he wasn't seen all night and then walked around like a peacock with his shirt off as if he won it on his own.

Very hard not to dislike him but we dont have to wish too hard for him to fail because when the hard questions are asked he normally disappears. Too much of this in the modern game. Id admit my own club Arsenal are heavily guilty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

If the Germany-USA game is level after 65-70 minutes then I can see both teams playing conservatively and settling for the draw.

As i said already, i acknowledge that most footballers have egos..i just think Messi has more to back it up with. Messi stays on his feet despite tackles flying in while powder puff goes down if you are too near your telly. Messi was far more of a captain and leader than Ronaldo was for Portugal.

No Agenda here thats for sure and for trues
    Take off the rose tinted glasses. He was considerably shíte all night He wasnt against technically good opposition but he has the heart the size of a pea when the chips are down. Im only offering my opinion. Its you and others that are getting defensive.

Lionel Messi wasn't against any good opposition the past two nights he Captained and lead his team to glory. Does that make it less of an achievement? Ronaldo played very well given his team were, by and large, ****. I've no Rose tinted glasses. You;ve an agenda.

it doesn't annoy me. It puzzles me ill admit but it doesn't annoy me. The man himself annoys me after that champions league final the way he wasn't seen all night and then walked around like a peacock with his shirt off as if he won it on his own.

So it does annoy you?

I prefer to appreciate how lucky I am to witness two of the greatest to ever play the game first hand.

You're being very kind to Ronaldo by including him in the 'greatest ever' line-up.

There will be no deal arranged that would allow a second string team. There's no way they would get away with it. Not a chance.

Yes they would. It happens in the Premier League and all other leagues on the weekends before Champions League games every single season. This is no different. If they do it, FIFA may question it. All they need to say is, given how tired our players are, our fresh players IS our strongest 11. End of questions.

• Advertisement

You're being very kind to Ronaldo by including him in the 'greatest ever' line-up.

And insulting to the actual greatest ever players at the same time

Ronaldo is carrying an injury quite a while at this stage and shouldn't actually be on the field never mind having to carry this team on his back, Messi has far more to work with alright with Argentina, certainly more back up. Ronaldo doesn't always go down, certainly not if you were to get too close to the tv in a fit of rage when he produces a moment of genius anyway. Ronaldo came up with the goods at the death to keep his team alive. Messi came up with the goods at the death also. Not sure where you see a huge difference, other then the blinders you clearly have.

He was injured, he still looked the most likely to do something for Portugal. The heart of a pea wouldnt drive you to become the behemoth he has become in world football. He has more drive and heart then you are likely to see from 99% of players tbh. When the chips are down argument has been shot to hell a long time ago, not even Dunphy bangs that drum anymore.

Very hard not to dislike him but we dont have to wish too hard for him to fail because when the hard questions are asked he normally disappears. Too much of this in the modern game. Id admit my own club Arsenal are heavily guilty of it.

It clearly does annoy you so for you to pretend it doesnt is a tad cringey tbh, just admit it and move on.

Again you come back to this, when the hard questions are asked he normally disappears, honestly have you watched him much over the last 7 years or so? Or at least been aware of his career? Both personal achievements and accolades and what he has helped, driven, his clubs to achieve also?

Genuinely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Messi stays on his feet despite tackles flying

Very hard not to dislike him but we dont have to wish too hard for him to fail because when the hard questions are asked he normally disappears.

nicholascagelaughingreallyhard.gif

This is the moment you jumped the shark friend :)

Grand. Would you rank Messi in the actual greatest ever players list?

The pretense of having no agenda has gone well and truly out the window eh? Thats good, just embrace your hate.

Clearly you've your mind made up and won't change that no matter what reasoned argument is put your way, but the bolded part is pure nonsense. He practically dragged Portugal to the World Cup with his performance in the play-off against Sweden, scoring all goals when the "chips were down". Now when he's not at 100% we can see just how average the rest of that Portugal team is when he's not doing everything up front for them.

That's just one example and a relevant one given it's the World Cup. You don't win the trophies and awards that he has by having the "heart of a pea" ffs.

No Agenda here thats for sure and for trues

Lionel Messi wasn't against any good opposition the past two nights he Captained and lead his team to glory. Does that make it less of an achievement? Ronaldo played very well given his team were, by and large, ****. I've no Rose tinted glasses. You;ve an agenda.

So it does annoy you?

No, i clearly said the admiration for the man puzzles me while the man himself annoys me. He is a powder puff. Id hate to manage him. His ego is off the scale and to be honest i wouldnt like to be stuck beside the likes of him in the trenches.

Is it so wrong to hate a player who is in a team game yet has played sh*t in a match and then flaunts around the pitch like god almighty?

Lionel Messi scored the last two nights. He kept plugging away and never lost heart. The iranian defence were particularly stubborn while Bosnia also made life difficult for him. Difference is Messi actually came up with the goods. No bawling or roaring from him.

Clearly you've your mind made up and won't change that no matter what reasoned argument is put your way, but the bolded part is pure nonsense. He practically dragged Portugal to the World Cup with his performance in the play-off against Sweden, scoring all goals when the "chips were down". Now when he's not at 100% we can see just how average the rest of that Portugal team is when he's not doing everything up front for them.

That's just one example and a relevant one given it's the World Cup. You don't win the trophies and awards that he has by having the "heart of a pea" ffs.

Where was he in the Champions league final? Where was he against Germany? Where was he tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Where was he in the Champions league final? Where was he against Germany? Where was he tonight?

He's been clearly injured/unfit for a while now. Suspected tendonitis in the knee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement