Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portugal v USA; (On Telly)

Comments

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Grand. Would you rank Messi in the actual greatest ever players list?

He'd be knocking on the door alright but he'll never be as good as Maradona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No, i clearly said the admiration for the man puzzles me while the man himself annoys me. He is a powder puff. Id hate to manage him. His ego is off the scale and to be honest i wouldnt like to be stuck beside the likes of him in the trenches.

Is it so wrong to hate a player who is in a team game yet has played sh*t in a match and then flaunts around the pitch like god almighty?

Lionel Messi scored the last two nights. He kept plugging away and never lost heart. The iranian defence were particularly stubborn while Bosnia also made life difficult for him. Difference is Messi actually came up with the goods. No bawling or roaring from him.

The bould Leo did indeed slay the mighty Iranians and Bosnians, eventually. Heroically in fact.

Ronaldo may have had something to do with Portugal grabbing an equalizer, at the death, backs against the wall, chips firmly down. Maybe?

You can repeat the same inaccurate opinion from now till the end of time, it won't cover your clear agenda against a player and your total inability to give any credit when its due. This renders your opinion useless on the subject.

Impossible to respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

No, i clearly said the admiration for the man puzzles me while the man himself annoys me. He is a powder puff. Id hate to manage him. His ego is off the scale and to be honest i wouldnt like to be stuck beside the likes of him in the trenches.

Is it so wrong to hate a player who is in a team game yet has played sh*t in a match and then flaunts around the pitch like god almighty?

Lionel Messi scored the last two nights. He kept plugging away and never lost heart. The iranian defence were particularly stubborn while Bosnia also made life difficult for him. Difference is Messi actually came up with the goods. No bawling or roaring from him.

Ok so is it mostly just this years Champions League final that makes you hate* him, seeing as that's a few times you've referenced that now.

Well I'd have thought he's well entitled to celebrate as he liked in the final, given that he scored a record-breaking amount of goals in order to get them there. So I'd say he played a small part in their victory.

*The word hate is a very strong one, especially when it's about a man you don't know. Dislike I can understand, but if you genuinely hate Ronaldo I'd suggest seeking anger management help.

kryogen wrote: »
    The pretense of having no agenda has gone well and truly out the window eh? Thats good, just embrace your hate.

Its only my opinion. Better players who were tougher men were far more humble than him. The man is godified but is actually not all that really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

It takes a strong man to deny that which is right in front of him. A strong man or a very very stupid man.

Ronaldo wasn't bawling or crying today. But don't let that judge your already clouded judgement.

Its clear that a proper debate can't be had with you and tbh your dismissal of Ronaldo as one of the best says it all. You've an agenda and are Huffing because people like Ronaldo and aren't circlejerking over your man crush Messi.

Goodnight you xxxxxx

Sweet Dreams of Ronaldo and his supreme crossing ability xxx

Where was he in the Champions league final? Where was he against Germany? Where was he tonight?

I wonder if there is anything that can link these matches together? The fact that they're all within the last month perhaps. Now what has Ronaldo been up to in that time? Oh right, injured/carrying injury. Well then maybe that has something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

This is the moment you jumped the shark friend :)

It has been said. The chosen one has spoken. I await your orders my liege.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    It has been said. The chosen one has spoken. I await your orders my liege.

Get better at stuff.

Now go serf, that will be all for now.

Its only my opinion. Better players who were tougher men were far more humble than him. The man is godified but is actually not all that really.

:pac: Yeah he's pure shyte.

Some people really are blind.

• Advertisement

shrewdness wrote: »
    I wonder if there is anything that can link these matches together? The fact that they're all within the last month perhaps. Now what has Ronaldo been up to in that time? Oh right, injured/carrying injury. Well then maybe that has something to do with it.

I wonder has there ever been example of Ronaldo playing well and being the difference in big games?

He seems to have lots of trophies, records, personal accolades....but you never know, he might actually be ****e.

God almighty if only Ronnie knew of his boards.ie cheerleaders :rolleyes:

I just think to have an ego as big as his you have to bring more to the table. Cheques and balances and all that. Is that so wrong? Ill accept he has done some unreal things on the field but for me he loses heart far too easily when he is needed to show real guts and leadership. And yeah the sight of a multimillionaire prancing around the field as if he is the incredible hulk after the game despite being pretty sh*t for most of it does actually quite irk me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

thread has descended into a Ronaldo love/hate debate.

G'wan Merica!:D
    Second time in as many times as I've seen them I can say I've thoroughly enjoyed watching them. They deserve to go through if not purely for their attitude. Great stuff from them, love it.

(and I'm out)

Panthro wrote: »
    thread has descended into a Ronaldo love/hate debate.

G'wan Merica!:D
    Second time in as many times as I've seen them I can say I've thoroughly enjoyed watching them. They deserve to go through if not purely for their attitude. Great stuff from them, love it.

(and I'm out)

Ah no.....he'll never get a part in that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Get better at stuff.

Now go serf, that will be all for now.

Yes princess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Germany will beat the USA in the last game if they can. Why would Germany take the slightest risk of being eliminated? This isn't the Eurovision song contest.
    And my Ghana outright bet was never in doubt. :pac:

• Advertisement

The Ronaldo lovers/haters are embarrassing.

What a game that was. This world cup is something else. Loving every second of it.

diomed wrote: »
    Germany will beat the USA in the last game if they can. Why would Germany take the slightest risk of being eliminated? This isn't the Eurovision song contest.
    And my Ghana outright bet was never in doubt. :pac:

These things happen.

Not sure if you remember the 1990 Ireland v Holland game. Once both teams got word England were leading Egypt the game slowed to a crawl.

I'm not saying that this will happen but it has happened.

Bookies already have the draw priced at 6/4 and I'd expect that to shorten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Oh look, yet another thread descends into farce.

This is getting incredibly tiresome.

Imo, cards need to be dished out if this nonsense carries on in every match thread Ronaldo is involved in

Sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

A few mentioned a stat on here last night, Ronaldo's goals per shots. He was 2 out of 57 i think. Anyone know how many shots it is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Oh I dunno, 61?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Ronaldo is better than Messi.huehue

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Gutted for the USA team, they worked so hard and nearly pulled it off

I had only just commented on how well Bradley had kept possesion and found a white shirt all night so when he gave the ball away I knew Portugal were going to score

Passion and effort can take you a long way and it has been great to see in the USA team, I am hoping they can get the result they need, gutted they missed out last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That cross by Ronaldo for the equaliser, **** me. Sensational ball in. Cracker of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

This World Cup is heart-breaking. I was rooting for Iran for the other night and USA last night. It's like George R.R. Martin is choreographing the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

shrewdness wrote: »
    No I'm talking about the obsession with a player failing. Alot of the talk was about Ronaldo losing and his reaction afterwards, some people couldn't wait to see the tears! It reminded me of the Champions League final, and a good bit of the talk was laughter at Ronaldo's expense rather than being glad Atletico were winning(before the late equaliser obviously).

At this stage no-ones opinions are going to be changed on him, but it's all a bit strange to me. I prefer to watch great players perform on the pitch and admire what they achieve, not wish some to fail from the start. He has a bit of an ego on the pitch, so what? He wouldn't be the first, I just like to watch him play, as I do all great players.

I'll explain. Ronaldo is an amazing player, but he has the mentality of a 14 year old schoolgirl. He regularly throws strops, and when he does his style of play changes bigtime. He trys to do everything himself, and when it goes wrong the strops get bigger.
    Seeing a grown man act like that in your workplace in front of 3 or 4 people is funny. When the best player (he's officially the best atm) in the world does it on the world stage it's hilarious and the way his fans seem to completely ignore this behaviour, it's strange to us "ronaldo haters. No one is denying he's a great player, even Dunphy admits it now, but his 14 year old girl hissy fits are hilarious to look at and make him a fairly dislikable player. We respect his talent and workrate in training, but I'm a 35 year old grown man, I can't respect someone who acts like Ronaldo as a person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Aenaes wrote: »
    This World Cup is heart-breaking. I was rooting for Iran for the other night and USA last night. It's like George R.R. Martin is choreographing the players.
    Clint Dempsey only broke his nose, the rest of his skull is fine! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I just think to have an ego as big as his you have to bring more to the table. Cheques and balances and all that. Is that so wrong? Ill accept he has done some unreal things on the field but for me he loses heart far too easily when he is needed to show real guts and leadership. And yeah the sight of a multimillionaire prancing around the field as if he is the incredible hulk after the game despite being pretty sh*t for most of it does actually quite irk me.

He won the world player of the year. As far as I'm concerned he can have as big an ego as he wants. There are plenty of people out there with far larger egos and infinitely less to show for it.

I say this as someone who used to dislike him at United because of all the arsing around he did. He has come along leaps and bounds, an absolutely tremendous player and it's a shame he isn't at full fitness. I find it difficult to dislike someone who has the work ethic and passion that he does. And yes, I do consider crying after losing and "throwing hissy fits" to be passion, as opposed to lads toddling down into the changing rooms and collecting their pay cheque whether they win or lose. We could do with a few more lads at Arsenal throwing hissy fits once in a while if it gets us results.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'll explain. Ronaldo is an amazing player, but he has the mentality of a 14 year old schoolgirl. He regularly throws strops, and when he does his style of play changes bigtime. He trys to do everything himself, and when it goes wrong the strops get bigger.
    The problem here is that that has not been an accurate description of Ronaldo for a good half of a decade or so. For Portugal he does still try to do it all alone a good bit (and successfully, see: Sweden playoffs)... but if you looked at the rest of the Portugal team, it is easy to understand why. Nani is absolutely infuriatingly inconsistent, but e is the only other person on the whole team capable of creating anything for them going forward, wile their defence (outside of the injured Coentrao) is lacking, with some massive issues regarding communication and concentration over 90 minutes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does anyone have a link with some GIFs for the goals? For this and/or any other matches?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ronaldo and Messi fanboy's are as odd as each other IMO. Both players are a wannabe Glen Johnson at any rate.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a link with some GIFs for the goals? For this and/or any other matches?

On the phone, otherwise I'd do it myself, but check the SBnation for vines and gifs of the goals and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Just saw that Portugal are ranked 4th in the world:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

People just love to hate Ronaldo. It's hilarious really, that's his charachter, he is all about Ronaldo, all about posturing, preening and trying the impossible in the hope of pulling off something truly amazing. Zlatan is lauded for some of those same traits.
    If he never played for United he wouldn't get half the hate in this forum.
    I'll take narcissism over some of the questionable charachter traits other players being touted as the best in the game possess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

People just love to hate Ronaldo. It's hilarious really, that's his charachter, he is all about Ronaldo, all about posturing, preening and trying the impossible in the hope of pulling off something truly amazing. Zlatan is lauded for some of those same traits.
    I'll take narcissism over some of the questionable charachter traits other players being touted as the best in the game possess.

Ronaldo is just soooo unlikable. The constant whiging and self indugling is sickening. This has nothing to with United.

Zlatan isnt half as bad as Ronaldo when it comes to most things and is even a funny megalomaniac.

Dare to Zlatan..hilarious, we know he's messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer

Goals are uploaded extremely fast on this.

Jones' goal against Portugal was uploaded 2 minutes after it happened.

Woooooooooosh.

Ibra has admitted that he is having a laugh a lot of the time, despite the media painting him out to be someone who genuinely believes everything he says.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Ronaldo is just soooo unlikable. The constant whiging and self indugling is sickening. This has nothing to with United.

Zlatan isnt half as bad as Ronaldo when it comes to most things and is even a funny megalomaniac.

Dare to Zlatan..hilarious, we know he's messing.

No, no, it has everything to do with United in the mind of many of the Ronaldo fanboys. I'm a Liverpool fan, and I'd probably opt for Ronaldo over Messi if picking one of them for a team though, that's not to say I don't like him as a personality. Fanboys can't fathom anything but hatred for their club.

Anyway, this thread has gone past the point of being a matchthread, so I'm finito.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think I may have influenced that result last night. I had a post lined up 40 seconds or so from time about how Ronaldo could henceforth style his hair with his salty tears. Tempted fate.

So Ibrahimovic is a humble guy? Sure...
    His playing up to that image came about from having those traits in the first place. Whoosh! Indeed.

Some people can't seem to fathom that I am not referring to them individually, Ronaldo gets a lot of hate on here due to who he played for, whether it's your own(whoever is reading this) particular reason or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

briany wrote: »
    I think I may have influenced that result last night. I had a post lined up 40 seconds or so from time about how Ronaldo could henceforth style his hair with his salty tears. Tempted fate.

The bold part

google "ronaldo pays for brain surgery" and you'll get your answer why he had zig zags on the side of his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think you're wrong here. The only people I know that like ronaldo are united fans. Pretty much everyone else dislikes him. I think if he never played in england, the united fans would dislike him.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    The problem here is that that has not been an accurate description of Ronaldo for a good half of a decade or so. For Portugal he does still try to do it all alone a good bit (and successfully, see: Sweden playoffs)... but if you looked at the rest of the Portugal team, it is easy to understand why. Nani is absolutely infuriatingly inconsistent, but e is the only other person on the whole team capable of creating anything for them going forward, wile their defence (outside of the injured Coentrao) is lacking, with some massive issues regarding communication and concentration over 90 minutes.
    You're missing the point still. Ronaldo doing it all himself isn't the worst part. It's the 14 year old girl hissy fits and strops he pulls.
    And trying to do it all yourself is grand if it works, but if it doesn't, accept the criticism. It's a team game no matter what you think of the team mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Apparently the kid who's life Ronaldo saved by paying for surgery asked him to get that design on his head...

I think you're wrong here. The only people I know that like ronaldo are united fans. Pretty much everyone else dislikes him. I think if he never played in england, the united fans would dislike him.

You're missing the point still. Ronaldo doing it all himself isn't the worst part. It's the 14 year old girl hissy fits and strops he pulls.
    And trying to do it all yourself is grand if it works, but if it doesn't, accept the criticism. It's a team game no matter what you think of the team mates.

I wouldn't mind a player throwing hissy fits if he was scoring 60 goals a season!

Apparently the kid who's life Ronaldo saved by paying for surgery asked him to get that design on his head...

Makes you wonder about Jason Lee

So Ibrahimovic is a humble guy? Sure...
    His playing up to that image came about from having those traits in the first place. Whoosh! Indeed.

Some people can't seem to fathom that I am not referring to them individually, Ronaldo gets a lot of hate on here due to who he played for, whether it's your own(whoever is reading this) particular reason or not.
    It's also worth noting that Dunphy's crusade against him went I to overdrive around the time it was becoming more well known that he didn't see eye to eye with Keane at Old Trafford (and when he was eagerly pimping Jose Reyes as "a real footballer" :p ). Keanes acrimonious exit from Old Trafford at a time when Dunphy was strongly in love with him basically resulted in Dunphy desperately attempting to write Man Utd off at every angle, particularly Ferdinand in defense, Scholes' return being "like a new signing" and the attack be g centered around Ronaldo rather than Ruud (or Rooney). For years he tried to write him off over and over and over, even when he was on form for his first Ballon d'or award, out of spite... because Dunphy is extremely petty. After "the wink" it was a very easy sell, even though that was completely Rooney's fault in the first place.

He might talk pure sh**e almost exclusively, but like the FOX news/ring wing radio guys in America, Dunphy is proof that if you have a podium and talk loud and long enough, there are enough stupid people out there to buy what you are selling.

He only stopped in recent years because he probably realised it wasn't really selling anymore (he is far more interested in co traverse than football, after all), that it was making him look silly with Ronaldo scoring 50 a year, and that a good deal of the ABU hatred for him had fallen off.

• Advertisement

There's plenty not to like about Ronaldo, it's the absolute disgust and disdain that people have for him that I find funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I came across a thread an article a few days ago, possibly on independent.ie on how Ronaldo might actually do more damage than good for portugal... Its a team game as has been mentioned, one man wont make much of a difference when you are up against a top top team with several world class players, not one...

I was gutted for USA last night. Still reckon they will go through, a draw in either of the final group match puts them through, a Portugal win and a USA loss still puts them through. Only result that does not is a Ghana win and them losing, if ghana win by one goal and USA lose by one, gd would be the same, I am assuming in this case, the result between ghana and USA match is the next decider of who goes through?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I came across a thread an article a few days ago, possibly on independent.ie on how Ronaldo might actually do more damage than good for portugal... Its a team game as has been mentioned, one man wont make much of a difference when you are up against a top top team with several world class players, not one...
    Have you watched Portugal? Despite him being very visibly not 100% they still are very close to a one man team. No exaggeration, despite having some decent talent a Ronaldoless Portugal would be one of the absolute worst teams in the whole tournament, maybe even the worst (especially with Coentrao out, probably their second best player they have).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm not a United fan but I admire him. I think he works bloody hard at his game despite already being one of the most skilful players out there. He continually works on his game and makes improvements. I think Messi is the more naturally gifted player and the reason they are so close statistically is down to Ronaldo's commitment to do all he can to make himself a better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Have you watched Portugal? Despite him being very visibly not 100% they still are very close to a one man team. No exaggeration, despite having some decent talent a Ronaldoless Portugal would be one of the absolute worst teams in the whole tournament, maybe even the worst (especially with Coentrao out, probably their second best player they have).
    I think the one man team is a bit of an insult to his team mates, who can obviously play football and do so to a high standard. He cant achieve anything without them. Look at Chile, Costa Rica, even the United States, these teams are all playing far better than anyone could have possibly expected, without any "star" players... I think if I was in that team, I'd get sick of hearing nothing but Ronaldo Ronaldo Ronaldo, as if the rest of them cant play football and are there to make up the numbers. He takes endless free kicks that he misses, but his team mates probably wouldnt dare stand up and say, I reckon we could get a better result by crossing it etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement