Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice regards alot of agressive dogs in my neighbourhood

• 23-06-2014 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can advise me,
    I want to bring my baby out around my estate on her push trike (I live in a cul de sac but want to venture out to the rest of the area) but I'm having a huge problem with wandering/unleashed/unsupervised dogs growling and barking at the trike!! It's actually a bit frightening and I'm very nervous now as my baby is pretty much at biting level with dogs now and if a dog is acting aggressively towards us, if she lets out a squeal, he might attack!!

We had a pretty bad experience today and some of my friends are saying go to the Guards, some say Dog warden and then loads of others are saying none of them will do anything until the dog bites! :eek:

There's loads of young kids playing around my area and it's just a matter of time before someone is seriously harmed!!

What can I do to get something done about this? I wanted to walk to the shops today but I wasn't able!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Call the Dog Warden.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

<snip>

Mod edit: banned

Advocating violence or cruelty in this forum will not be tolerated.
    End of.
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Call the Dog Warden.

Will s/he actually do anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Guards or dog warden first thing tomorrow for it could be your child that is bitten

Will s/he actually do anything?
    They'll pretend they called out, didn't see any problem or if they did they couldn't identify the owner and they'll he gone again until they log another 1000 calls to prompt then into "action".
    First hand this is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

What do the wheels of the trike sound like.
    Some wheels will cause a dog to be afraid and react to it Skateboard for one.

Can they not lift the dog if it running around the place

Dodd wrote: »
    What do the wheels of the trike sound like.
    Some wheels will cause a dog to be afraid and react to it Skateboard for one.
    Um, why would this matter if dogs are under control as is legally required?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Control of Dogs Act 1986

Control of dogs.
    9.—(1) The owner or any other person in charge of a dog shall not permit the dog to be in any place other than—
    (a) the premises of the owner, or
    (b) the premises of such other person in charge of the dog, or
    (c) the premises of any other person, with the consent of that person,
    unless such owner or such other person in charge of the dog accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.
    (2) If a dog worries livestock, the owner or any other person in charge of the dog shall be guilty of an offence unless it is established that at the material time the dog worried the livestock for the purpose of removing trespassing livestock and that having regard to all the circumstances the action was reasonable and necessary.
    (3) A person who is guilty of an offence under subsection (2) of this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month, or, at the discretion of the court, to both such fine and such imprisonment"

Basically if the dog(s) are loose, the dog Warden can seize them

lulu1 wrote: »
    Can they not lift the dog if it running around the place

Yes they can but rearly do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The warden (if they're doing the job right) should find out who the owners are, and deal with it from there. If the dogs are strays, then he can take them away to the pound.

No point in calling the Gards. They'll just refer you to the warden.

Might also be worth raising the issue with your local councillors. Freshly elected, they'll be looking for brownie points! :D

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Um, why would this matter if dogs are under control as is legally required?

Dogs are not always under control as legally required so if I had child I would try keep that child safe from dogs not under control in an estate where there are a number of these dogs.

Dogs are not always under control as legally required so if I had child I would try keep that child safe from dogs not under control in an estate where there are a number of these dogs.

Yip I agree but Its too bad you cant walk around your own estate without the fear of other peoples dogs.

lulu1 wrote: »
    Yip I agree but Its too bad you cant walk around your own estate without the fear of other peoples dogs.

If the law was used then it would be fine but it's not so people have to guard them selves against it.

I live near Dublin centre and some people let there dogs out on the street even though they have a back garden.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

From top left,

Jack Russell bite, Weimaraner/Shorthaired Pointer mix, Cocker Spaniel bite, Golden Rettopic?
    bite, Dachshund bite, German Shepherd bite, Anatolian Shepherd bite, Pitbull bite, Collie bite, Boxer bite, Malamute bite, and Labrador bite.

<snip>
    NSFW
    Give it a rest, please. Posts like this are utter scaremongering and bring little to the argument.
    Now, can this thread, which thanks to a couple of OTT posts is turning into a train wreck, please get back on topic?
    Helpful replies to the op only from hereon in.
    Do not reply to this edit on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Horrific Cant look at this

gctest50 wrote: »
    From top left,

Jack Russell bite, Weimaraner/Shorthaired Pointer mix, Cocker Spaniel bite, Golden Retriever bite, Dachshund bite, German Shepherd bite, Anatolian Shepherd bite, Pitbull bite, Collie bite, Boxer bite, Malamute bite, and Labrador bite.
    What has that got to do with this thread.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

What has that got to do with this thread.?

Shows what any breed can do.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Shows what any breed can do.

Yes and a car could go out of control and hit you and your kid.
    Do you think photos of that should be showed to the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Call the authorities if this is as you describe. It is not your problem to solve.
    Call the gardai. If that does not sort it, call your local council.

Keep after them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Back on topic please folks.
    No more discussion of the photo which has now been removed, nor of any whataboutery.
    Keep posts relevant to the op from now on.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Back on topic plastic wheels can cause a dog to get defensive but not so much if the dog can get away.
    If there are a few dogs then they are more likely to go for it to defend the rest from a perceived threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Theorising that the dog warden won't do anything is a bit pointless. Call the warden. Ask him or her to come out and talk to you and offer to walk the warden around the neighbourhood at the time you normally walk it.

There's a €2,500 fine for not having a dog licence; dog fouling is subject to up to €3,000 fine if the owner is brought to court.

If the dog warden comes out and starts issuing fines for no licence, you may find that there's a sudden epidemic of responsibility among local dog owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Back on topic plastic wheels can cause a dog to get defensive but not so much if the dog can get away.
    If there are a few dogs then they are more likely to go for it to defend the rest from a perceived threat.

Or if one is frightened the others might think they should be too. My younger dog does this when the older one is excited and gets excited herself.... without knowing what she's supposed to be excited about! :P

I'd be inclined to wheel the trike around without the kid on and let the dogs get used to it. You've got to work with the situation you've got until thinks improve. Say the warden comes out and the dogs are on lead passing by and under control - they'll probably still bark and growl at it if they're afraid of it? Dogs are within their rights to bark and growl at stuff - it doesn't mean they're aggressive child eaters. My dog barks and growls at skips outside houses some times :rolleyes: but has never savaged a child.

Also OP if you're sending vibes to the dogs they could be reacting to that too - that's not meant to be an excuse for them being out of control but something to think about. I had somebody giving me and my (on-lead) dogs filthy looks the other evening for no reason and one of them started growling - we were walking along minding our own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

tk123 wrote: »
    Or if one is frightened the others might think they should be too. My younger dog does this when the older one is excited and gets excited herself.... without knowing what she's supposed to be excited about! :P

I'd be inclined to wheel the trike around without the kid on and let the dogs get used to it. You've got to work with the situation you've got until thinks improve. Say the warden comes out and the dogs are on lead passing by and under control - they'll probably still bark and growl at it if they're afraid of it? Dogs are within their rights to bark and growl at stuff - it doesn't mean they're aggressive child eaters. My dog barks and growls at skips outside houses some times :rolleyes: but has never savaged a child.

Also OP if you're sending vibes to the dogs they could be reacting to that too - that's not meant to be an excuse for them being out of control but something to think about. I had somebody giving me and my (on-lead) dogs filthy looks the other evening for no reason and one of them started growling - we were walking along minding our own business.

i don't really care if dogs bark at us when they are under control, i would expect a dog to bark at a wheeled object, what i don't like is dogs not under control going for us. Im not interested in why they do it, im only interested in protecting my baby and not being trapped in my home because of it. Husband is onto the warden now, well see what he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Do call the dog warden, it depends on the area, I hear some areas they do nothing, but I had to call about 4 years ago about 8 dogs from one house running around in a pack trying to attack other dogs on leads (mine on several occasions) and whatever he said, 4 were gone within days and they rest in a pen in the garden from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

tk123 wrote: »

On this, is it not more likely that you was pissed off by the person giving your dogs filthy looks and that your dogs were reacting to you and the tension from you rather than from a stranger.

I would bring the trike out around the street and learn how they react to it without your child.
    Any idea who owns any of the dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

On this, is it not more likely that you was pissed off by the person giving your dogs filthy looks and that your dogs were reacting to you and the tension from you rather than from a stranger.

No I wasn't really aware of the person until he growled - I was in a world of my own lol! :P We're used to people giving is dirty looks (2 retrievers) so I'd seen her looking and kept walking - I wasn't dwelling on it or anything to make him react.

• Advertisement

But if you weren't aware of the other person how do you know they were giving filthy looks before your dog growled. If a dog growled at me then I would give it filthy looks too!!

Not being deliberately argumentative, I just think sometimes it is too easy to excuse what a dog does as being a reaction to something else rather than the instigators.

In the case of the OP - yes the dogs may react to the trike or they could just be nasty dogs.

Advertisement