Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skins and Vix

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Ok - storing image backups on the flash memory of the box will certainly eat up space!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

I just did a fresh install of Apollo 14 and reinstalled everything, just a few tweaks to go but going to bed now. This is what I ended up with:

12e4e7bca7f3a2e0f0838ed42233dc09.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

fat-tony wrote: »
    Ok - storing image backups on the flash memory of the box will certainly eat up space!

Backups are stored on the hard drive (or USB).

If they were stored in flash it couldn't have been detected after the box was wiped :)

iba said he removed the usb key where the backups were stored before flashing and the flash detected the presence of a backup. Therefore he had stored the backup somewhere in the filesystem of the box and was doing an upgrade rather than a full flash (or perhaps he stored it on the USB key that he was using to store the image?). It confused me also, because a proper flash of the box would normally involve the bootloader deleting the entire filesystem on the box by formatting the partitions. iba has had issues where he was running short of flash memory, so perhaps he had stored things in flash rather than on external usb?

iba said he removed the usb key where the backups were stored before flashing and the flash detected the presence of a backup. Therefore he had stored the backup somewhere in the filesystem of the box and was doing an upgrade rather than a full flash (or perhaps he stored it on the USB key that he was using to store the image?). It confused me also, because a proper flash of the box would normally involve the bootloader deleting the entire filesystem on the box by formatting the partitions. iba has had issues where he was running short of flash memory, so perhaps he had stored things in flash rather than on external usb?

I kind of see that now.

He says he did a new flash and then discovered a backup.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

I too thought a factory restore would wipe everything including any backups that I had inadvertently stored in the box.

Storing backup on the box was a mistake that I made when I was learning. I know now how to save them on the USB.

In this instance though, I had removed the USB stick and the box found a restore file still on the box. (The wizard popped up asking me if I wanted to restore the backup).

I went into backup manager, saw the backup file and deleted.

But now that you mention 'perhaps he stored it on the USB key that he was using to store the image' - maybe, just maybe that was it - I cannot remember for certain now :)

Cheers

iba wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I too thought a factory restore would wipe everything including any backups that I had inadvertently stored in the box.

Storing backup on the box was a mistake that I made when I was learning. I know now how to save them on the USB.

In this instance though, I had removed the USB stick and the box found a restore file still on the box. (The wizard popped up asking me if I wanted to restore the backup).

I went into backup manager, saw the backup file and deleted.

But now that you mention 'perhaps he stored it on the USB key that he was using to store the image' - maybe, just maybe that was it - I cannot remember for certain now :)

Cheers

If it was only on the USB stick the box couldn't have discovered it during the new flash because the USB stick was not plugged in.

You don't have a Hard Drive apart from the USB stick (discovered that after my post above) so the backup could only have been in flash memory.

radiowaves wrote: »
    If it was only on the USB stick the box couldn't have discovered it during the new flash because the USB stick was not plugged in.

You don't have a Hard Drive apart from the USB stick (discovered that after my post above) so the backup could only have been in flash memory.

The USB stick which normally stores the Picons, EPG etc was plugged out but maybe, just maybe, I might also have had a copy of a backup on the USB stick that I had the new image on. Not 100% sure though.

iba wrote: »
    The USB stick which normally stores the Picons, EPG etc was plugged out but maybe, just maybe, I might also have had a copy of a backup on the USB stick that I had the new image on. Not 100% sure though.

A recipe for disaster that mate.

Always (always) format your stick - full format too - before using for flashing :)

I disagree with that entirely radiowaves. My USB stick has images for two different boxes on it, plus picons and other assorted bits and pieces. I just replace the old image with the new image for the relevant box - no issues. Stick was formatted once, the folders for the Quad and Miraclebox are replaced as required, no futher formatting done. You do need to be very sure and check what version of the image you have on the stick, though.

• Advertisement

I disagree with that entirely radiowaves. My USB stick has images for two different boxes on it, plus picons and other assorted bits and pieces. I just replace the old image with the new image for the relevant box - no issues. Stick was formatted once, the folders for the Quad and Miraclebox are replaced as required, no futher formatting done. You do need to be very sure and check what version of the image you have on the stick, though.

Why do you disagree?

Just because you have not yet had issues doesn't mean it shouldn't be done ;)

By not formatting your stick before each new flash you are increasing the risk of causing problems through corruption - that is your choice but you really shouldn't be stating on a thread offering advice that it's ok to do it your way just because you haven't had problems.

Advice to all - fully format your stick before you flash a new image to any box. You are risking problems if you don't.

Just a different opinion. Why format each time if you have a working stick? If you have a process which requires you to format the stick, then fine. It's more important to find a usb stick that works consistently with your particular box and stick with it each time. Once you check that you have an updated image and are not re-flashing an old one then you should be ok. If the flash fails - which it can, whether you have formatted the stick beforehand or not, then you just reflash. In the event of a corrupt flash, the bootloader will erase the data during a reflash. It's worked for me through dozens of flashes whether OpenMIPS, OpenATV, OpenRSI and now OpenViX. If I reformatted the stick every time, I would have to reload the picon set I use for basic testing each time also. I find it quicker and easier to just replace the image, that all. Each to his/her own:)

Just a different opinion. Why format each time if you have a working stick? If you have a process which requires you to format the stick, then fine. It's more important to find a usb stick that works consistently with your particular box and stick with it each time. Once you check that you have an updated image and are not re-flashing an old one then you should be ok. If the flash fails - which it can, whether you have formatted the stick beforehand or not, then you just reflash. In the event of a corrupt flash, the bootloader will erase the data during a reflash. It's worked for me through dozens of flashes whether OpenMIPS, OpenATV, OpenRSI and now OpenViX. If I reformatted the stick every time, I would have to reload the picon set I use for basic testing each time also. I find it quicker and easier to just replace the image, that all. Each to his/her own:)

Asking for trouble in my opinion but we'll agree to disagree :D

Nearly the same as STBs, but the station numbers are still there. How do I get rid of them i.e. the 101, 102, 103

be64232e87a4203a93b904a263128e97.png

Likewsie, how do I get rid of 101, 102, 103 in this:

da141ecbef15359fbc051af66b711d5b.png

Have you tried turning off the channel number display in the channel list menu? Menu - Setup/System/Channel Selection settings

Have you tried turning off the channel number display in the channel list menu? Menu - Setup/System/Channel Selection settings

Ok, I changed 'Show channell numbers in channell selction' to 'No' but it did not make a difference.

I have all my Channel Selection Settings set to teh exact same as STB has his.

Works for me in the standard skin and using an ordinary scan or using ABM. The only thing I can think of is that E2 Autobouquets (which STB does not use iirc) is adding the channel number to the channel name?
    I'll try using AB tomorrow and see if that's the case, but bedtime now!

Works for me in the standard skin and using an ordinary scan or using ABM. The only thing I can think of is that E2 Autobouquets (which STB does not use iirc) is adding the channel number to the channel name?
    I'll try using AB tomorrow and see if that's the case, but bedtime now!

Yeah, that is probably the reason.

Well my next big job is to learn how to use DreamboxEdit :)

@iba - there is a setting in E2 AB regarding channel numbers:
    - Show Channel Numbers
    puts epg position number in front of the channel names.

This is probably what you need to unset in E2 AB to get rid of your spurious numbers. The number becomes part of the channel name text, so the ViX channel selection setting can't hide it.
    By the way, there is a newer version of E2 AB added to the ViX feeds this morning.

• Advertisement

@iba - there is a setting in E2 AB regarding channel numbers:

This is probably what you need to unset in E2 AB to get rid of your spurious numbers. The number becomes part of the channel name text, so the ViX channel selection setting can't hide it.
    By the way, there is a newer version of E2 AB added to the ViX feeds this morning.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will try it this evening.

But, Should I uninstall the E2 AB that I have now and install the new one?

I don't believe that you have to uninstall, but if you wanted to be absolutely sure there were no remnants, then uninstall and install the update.

Details here:
    05-07-2014 Not by Lraizer
    Added error checking in script
    Re-ordered the regions
    Owing to HD channel changes, supplement file now renames them
    custom_sort_3.txt has had the affected channels commented out
    ITV regions also named via supplement file
    "Custom" relabelled to "custom swap"
    Hide PLI place holders defaulted to true
    Other/extra defaulted to true

I don't believe that you have to uninstall, but if you wanted to be absolutely sure there were no remnants, then uninstall and install the update.

Details here:

Went to Menu/Setup/Software update but it said no updates available.

Also went into AB E2 and changed Show Channel Numbers from Yes to NO and rebooted receiver, but it didn't make a difference.

I don't want to confuse, so this is what I have now:

Hold the phone.

I had the STB off the last 2 hours and just put it back on and the numbers have gone :)

First reboot should have done the trick, but no matter - you've got your wish.
    The E2 AB is not part of the standard ViX package, but is available as a plugin. If you remove and re-install you should get the updated version if Rob Van der Does has done his stuff...

Advertisement