Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Character Maypark Lane

Options
  • 23-06-2014 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

So I'm living in one of
    The last houses just before the big houses on the road down to kings channel..
    at about seven Pm today the doorbell rings and a guy who from his accent was clearly from the traveller community.
    He asked was my mam or dad home, (I'm 30 years of age and have a decent beard) to which I told him i lived here.
    he then asked me for a light for a Rollie cigarette he had and I told him I didn't smoke I apologised and closed the door,
    After he had gone on his way I went out to see if he called anywhere else which he didn't but did have a huge interest In some of the houses down along,As he reached the bottom of the road he was about to go down left along the walk along the river behind kings channell when I seen my neighbour come against him, he turned on his heels and went right, down the path towards powers court...I just get the feeling that he was up to something untoward, perhaps I am being paranoid but what do people reckon, like I know the weather is nice and I know people walk down our way all the time but this fella was clearly out of place and just looked dodgy If you know what I mean? Did anyone else see him hanging round maypark lane/ardkeen/powers court? Approx 35years of age blonde hair cut tight at sides longer on top (sorry to use stereotypes but as my girlfriend described it "a traveller haircut") jeans black short sleeved shirt approx 5 ½ foot tall???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Take a look for chalk marks on front wall or the kerb outside your gaff, sometimes they leave signs to their light-fingered brethern whether a place is worth robbing or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Didn't have a blue clipboard by any chance? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Take a look for chalk marks on front wall or the kerb outside your gaff, sometimes they leave signs to their light-fingered brethern whether a place is worth robbing or not.

I never understood this. My area is covered in chalk this time of year from Kids drawing. Are you sure this wasn't just a case of chinese whispers that got out of control?

Why do people think burglars are too thick to remember a house or cant just write it down in a text message and send it to someone else? Why the need for the caveman era communication?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Fella doing the rounds in tramore. Asking about power washing . Dont know if he has nothing but good intentions.
    However people shouldn't entertain random strangers knocking on doors . If they do ensure u let them know u know and record car plates or whatever.
    I despise people that prey on empty homes and vulnerable victims

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

I never understood this. My area is covered in chalk this time of year from Kids drawing. Are you sure this wasn't just a case of chinese whispers that got out of control?

Why do people think burglars are too thick to remember a house or cant just write it down in a text message and send it to someone else? Why the need for the caveman era communication?

The chalk thing is very real, i found it on the wall beside my front door after someone had a go at the back window.. Its now washed off and the gaff is fully fitted with CCTV :)

H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

It's apparently true. Known as the "Da Pinci Code".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Honestly, the criminals in Waterford are too thick to remember what 7 or so different symbols mean. That's not to say it's not done, but i don't think it's a huge issue in Waterford.

OP, did you ring the Gardaí? Always ring them, even if they don't turn up (which can happen), at least there's a record of the call and a description of the suspect which can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

I didn't to be honest because I've reported similar incidents before (blue clipboard man and that guy from the drug rehab place) and they said that as long as there was genuine e cause it ring doorbell etc whether it he a cover story or what there is little they can do and they advised just to be vigilant, I do think now with hindsite he would have most likely grabbed and ran with whatever had I left the door open to him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's bs. The only genuine door to door collectors will have a permit and an ID badge. Everyone else (including kids collecting for school/scouts/whatever) are not legally allowed to do door to door collections. It's possible that it could be a while before a car can get out there, and Mr. Man will be long gone, but it should still be reported & (eventually) followed up.

Advertisement