Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I didn't do physics in school, would I be able for a physics with astronomy course?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, so I'm in 6th year starting September and i'm doing pass maths and as the title says. I haven't taken physics as my science subject. Do you think if I tried hard and read related books i'd be fine doing the course? I guess what i'm asking is how much of a disadvantage would I be at as opposed to those who did physics in secondary school. If you can shed any light thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Hi, so I'm in 6th year starting September and i'm doing pass maths and as the title says. I haven't taken physics as my science subject. Do you think if I tried hard and read related books i'd be fine doing the course? I guess what i'm asking is how much of a disadvantage would I be at as opposed to those who did physics in secondary school. If you can shed any light thanks a lot.

You will be fine. I will be going into year 2 of physics with astronomy in ucd as a mature student. I never did higher level maths or physics in the leaving over 12 years ago. There is a beginner physics module that starts from the beginning. The same for maths. I found the maths difficult, because i hadnt done any in 10+ years. If you are coming from a recent leaving cert you should be fine. Id do a bit of maths study before you start to have it fresh in your mind. Once you are willing to put the time in with completing assignments you shouldnt have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

First year physics courses in science broadly cover the same material that the leaving cert physics curriculum covers, just at a quicker pace. So you won't be at any real disadvantage. Arguably those who've covered physics at LC are at a slight disadvantage cos they might be inclined to skip half of the course.
    The main advice I'd give you is to attend your lectures, tutorials and practicals. If you don't understand a concept, lean heavily on tutors and classmates for help.

There's something of a process that needs to be applied to physics problems that make it seem like a crazy subject until this process "clicks" in your mind.

Advertisement