Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinsale and or Kenmare

Options
  • 23-06-2014 5:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice in relation to a having a few days in Ireland to explore.

I will have the 27th-29th of July free when I am in Ireland for a wedding and heard good this about Kinsale and Kenmare. I will be traveling from Limerick after flying into Dublin. After the 29th I will be in Clare for a wedding so was thinking of exploring the south a bit more.

So Kinsale or Kenmare, or both in that time frame? Pros and Cons would be great.

A bit of background, we're a couple late 20's early 30's (me), not huge boozers, love good seafood and the outdoors. Enjoy historical sights also.

PS I know Kinsale is in Cork

Comments

Both have great restaurants, though Fishy Fishy in Kinsale prob best known seafood one.

Think Kenmare better for the outdoors, much more mountainous, near the Reeks, Killarney National Park and lakes. As for historical sights, Kinsale has Charles Fort which is impressive, but Kenmare only 40 mins from Muckross House and Ross Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Kenmare and dingle peninsula with slea head a must, a lot closer to clare too.

do kinsale when you come back to Ireland , which you will.

emerald-201.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Bigus, that looks unreal. I had a chat with a guy out here from Kerry. He has advised me, due to the limited time and "no bias", that I should hit Kenmare and Killarney.

Drive the ring of Kerry and just chill out. All he said as advice was to avoid a place called Mustangs if I am out for a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Since you have a limited time I'd be inclined to stick to just one area.
    Kinsale is nice, good food etc. Kenmare likewise. Killarney town will be busy but the area around is very nice. Dingle Peninsula is great on its own but would a bit too much to combine it with somewhere else for a short trip. (the pic above is of Coominole Beach just past Slea Head and looking out to the Blasket Islands)
    One of my favourite spots is the west Cork area beyond Skibbereen - Crookhaven, Goleen, Schull, Bantry, Glengariff etc. Brilliant if there's good weather. If there isn't, maybe head to Killarney/Kenmare. More scope for indoors there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Jude13 wrote: »
    All he said as advice was to avoid a place called Mustangs if I am out for a drink.

Very, very good advice unless you're a teenager, which I doubt you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Drive the ring of Kerry and just chill out.

The ring of beara any day is much more scenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

As for the Mustangs gag, we are not teenagers and not huge on the drink to be honest. Walking/hiking would be great.

If we were to do the ring of Bera which town would be the best to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Castletownbere, Allihies or Adrigole are best placed but are small towns/villages and I'm not sure what facilities they would have re accomodation etc.
    Otherwise Bantry, Kenmare (or Glengariff) would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Come to dingle .... Fab food ... Nice pubs ... Good music ... Stunning scenery .... :D

Kenmare, no hotel in the Beara Peninsula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Kenmare, no hotel in the Beara Peninsula.

theres plenty of b&bs on the beara peninsula. the drive over the healy pass is amazing.. also the drive from adrigole to allihies on the coast road is amazing.

http://cdn.theaussienomad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/HealyPassWestCork.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

The drive from eyeries to allihies through urhan on the small coast road is better and you get to go past where they filmed falling for a dancer.

Plenty of places to stay on Beara and the people are fabulous. Quieter roads and better scenery.

I'm never sure about that Beara better than Ring of Kerry one I see the odd time. Yes Allihies is lovely and Dursey Sound and Island are amazing, but then again so too is the National Park and say Valentia or the Skelligs.

The peninsulas of Dingle, Iveragh, Beara, Sheeps Head and the Mizen are all stunning. There are some small differences, the first 2 have a better tourist infrastructure, more hotels and restaurants and better roads, but that means more buses and tourists and so on. So just make sure you get out to enjoy them and come back to try the others.

Advertisement