Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike won't start

• 23-06-2014 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi guys

I have a quad lamp on the front of my 01 hornet 600 and was changing bulbs on Saturday.

Long story short, all the connectors were wrapped in a black bag and tape so I took it of to make it a bit neater. I blew the fuse for the lights, the bike started but no neutral light or clocks working.

I replaced the fuse, turn the key, lights working, neutral lights on but won't start, no noise or buzz or any thing.

Tried it with a push and a Jump off my van but still nothing.

Has to be something simple any suggestions would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

cikearney wrote: »
    Hi guys

I have a quad lamp on the front of my 01 hornet 600 and was changing bulbs on Saturday.

Long story short, all the connectors were wrapped in a black bag and tape so I took it of to make it a bit neater. I blew the fuse for the lights, the bike started but no neutral light or clocks working.

I replaced the fuse, turn the key, lights working, neutral lights on but won't start, no noise or buzz or any thing.

Tried it with a push and a Jump off my van but still nothing.

Has to be something simple any suggestions would be great
    Messing around with the rectifier and got it going then concked then square 1. Getting readings on my multi meter. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

dont you just love electrickery! do the basics first check the charge in the battery, check connections to and from the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

cikearney wrote: »
    Messing around with the rectifier and got it going then concked then square 1. Getting readings on my multi meter. Any ideas?

what readings are you getting. if you dont mind. and we can move from there.

can be something simple as some loose cable, or it can be burned coil - leading to spark plug.
    can you check if you getting sparks? for engine to start you need petrol, air + spark. if one of them are not delivered then it simple wont start. i know you know the basics... but once again what readings are you getting?

Bikerguy wrote: »
    what readings are you getting. if you dont mind. and we can move from there.

can be something simple as some loose cable, or it can be burned coil - leading to spark plug.
    can you check if you getting sparks? for engine to start you need petrol, air + spark. if one of them are not delivered then it simple wont start. i know you know the basics... but once again what readings are you getting?
    Was getting 540-550 on the positive to all on rectifier, starter coil good I checked. I put power from a starter pack to the the starter And plugged lead into a spare spark plug and no spark.

When I press the start button the key may aswell not even be in the bike, I'm after handing it over as I haven't the time to be messing around as I'm working late all week and need it for my test Monday.

Oh ,,, and I've a nail in my rear tyre

I'll post results later. Thanks for replies

Sorted, dirt on a spade connector on the ignition wire causing it not send power to the start button

• Advertisement
Advertisement