Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drafting 2014 Bitchfest Megathread :(

Options
  • 21-06-2014 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Didn't want to sully the above post with a negative that is out of the hands of the organisers... but the levels of blatant drafting on display today was disgraceful. A train passed me with members of ActiveMulti, Piranha Tri, Fingal Tri, 3D Tri... I biked past them all and asked if they even cared that they were drafting? It broke up half-heartedly after that but soon reformed. Lads (and lasses) if you are going to cheat, it'd be easier to "lose" your timing chip and cut the course before the turnaround. The TI official was very explicit on what a draft zone was. Sure, there was congestion on the bike course, but you surely know yourselves that if you suck someones wheel for an extended period (I'm talking km's rather than seconds here), you're cheating others in the race.

MOD: I've moved all the HOBC drafting posts to this thread. This one might run quite a while this summer. Think its best to keep all drafting discussion here rather than have every race thread descend into a moan about drafting.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

One group that passed me rode so close to the girl ahead of me that they nearly took her off her bike. I didn't get any race numbers but they were ahead of me from 5K to the turnaround, I think I lost sight of them after that/they broke up a bit but still a lot of dratfing ahead and lots of groups of 2's and 3's. I was passed by half the field so I'm extra bitter. :P

What annoyed me the most was a MO going in the other direction, beeped at it. Why not turn around and follow them, or contact another official to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Didn't want to sully the above post with a negative that is out of the hands of the organisers... but the levels of blatant drafting on display today was disgraceful. A train passed me with members of ActiveMulti, Piranha Tri, Fingal Tri, 3D Tri... I biked past them all and asked if they even cared that they were drafting? It broke up half-heartedly after that but soon reformed. Lads (and lasses) if you are going to cheat, it'd be easier to "lose" your timing chip and cut the course before the turnaround. The TI official was very explicit on what a draft zone was. Sure, there was congestion on the bike course, but you surely know yourselves that if you suck someones wheel for an extended period (I'm talking km's rather than seconds here), you're cheating others in the race.

This reminds me of the guy who took the bus at the London Marathon, the only person / people they are cheating on is them selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

This reminds me of the guy who took the bus at the London Marathon, the only person / people they are cheating on is them selves.

Don't think I would agree with you there.
    They are cheating everyone that is trying to Race honest

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

?? sorry but that's a crazy statement This was a national series race. even if you're not looking to win the thing, people are competing for points. drafters are cheating everyone.

the "ah sure leave them off " approach is encouraging more and more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

What I meant lads is that by not following the rules like everyone else and doing an honest race that along with cheating everyone else the main person they are fooling is themselves.

I don't agree with the "ah leave them off" mentality either, TI had 2 bike officials there to police that and they should have.

• Advertisement

What I meant lads is that by not following the rules like everyone else and doing an honest race that along with cheating everyone else the main person they are fooling is themselves.

I don't agree with the "ah leave them off" mentality either, TI had 2 bike officials there to police that and they should have.

Do clubs have to pay for bike officials? Not one passed me by (in the direction I was going). The one that saw the peloton ahead of me, can he not to a u-turn and follow it and break it up?

Other times I saw MO they were at the back end of things where there was not enough competitors for drafting.

Groups I saw, for the most part were far too big to even take numbers. If I had joined that group I would have gained more than 4 minutes (on the bike), nevermind what I may have gained on the run from an easier bike.

The main one that overtook me was too big for me to overtake, I tried to overtake and ended up joining it so dropped back. Two of them were also over the white line, which meant they were putting cyclists going back into Dunmore East into danger.

All of them should have been DQ'd. Risk of a 4 min penalty not enough of a deterrent seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Did anyone get a penalty yesterday? I'm totally pissed off with this nonsense myself. Got passed by a bunch of about 12 lads myself. Was practically a peleton. Had to go right out to the white line to get past them the group was so wide. Which was a total waste of effort as they went right by me again almost straight away. Called them all cheats on the way past but sure they didn't pay a blind bit of notice.

That's maybe 10 places I was cheated out of yesterday. I can't understand why people can't race by the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Mods- any chance this drafting discussion can be moved to its own thread? The Hook or by Crook crew put on a great race yesterday, maybe its a little unfair to them that most of the discussion after their race focusses on a negative they can do nothing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Fair point Kurt.

It is about time something was done though.

From an organizational point of view If they want to stop drafting the numbers must be reduced. If everyone consciously tried to avoid drafting, riders would be almost stopping at times. There are just too many bikes out on most courses and with two way traffic on open roads, there is just too much going on on the road to do a proper time trial. The exception is the few out front.

Numbers cant be reduced as the races would become unviable and god knows entries to decent races are scarce enough.

Bigger staggers on wave starts may help - put 20 minutes between waves (or more). Why not make waves smaller. I know races would go on for half the day but it would help.

Very frustrating yesterday and looking at the bike officials, in fairness to them where do they start. If they went for everyone who was cheating the penalty box officials would be busy!!!! They cant bust just a few for a few token entries on the penalty board.

I spent the cycle trying to avoid drafting and it surely cost me a lot of time, which surely cost be positions etc.

IMO the rule is unenforceable in the shorter popular races as things stand - simple as that.

Oh and to the organizers - they seemed to have listened to last years moans. The only problem is the busy out and back bike course - common with many other races though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Podge83 wrote: »
    Fair point Kurt.

It is about time something was done though.

From an organizational point of view If they want to stop drafting the numbers must be reduced. If everyone consciously tried to avoid drafting, riders would be almost stopping at times. There are just too many bikes out on most courses and with two way traffic on open roads, there is just too much going on on the road to do a proper time trial. The exception is the few out front.

Numbers cant be reduced as the races would become unviable and god knows entries to decent races are scarce enough.

Bigger staggers on wave starts may help - put 20 minutes between waves (or more). Why not make waves smaller. I know races would go on for half the day but it would help.

Very frustrating yesterday and looking at the bike officials, in fairness to them where do they start. If they went for everyone who was cheating the penalty box officials would be busy!!!! They cant bust just a few for a few token entries on the penalty board.

I spent the cycle trying to avoid drafting and it surely cost me a lot of time, which surely cost be positions etc.

IMO the rule is unenforceable in the shorter popular races as things stand - simple as that.

Oh and to the organizers - they seemed to have listened to last years moans. The only problem is the busy out and back bike course - common with many other races though

Vote with your feet. This is the responsibility of the organisers as well as TI.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Vote with your feet. This is the responsibility of the organisers as well as TI.

What can the organizers do?

Can they pay for more Bike officials over the norm? They are the ones who organize the waves etc agreed, but a few posts on here won't change that.

TI can set some guideline to follow. They can give preference to races that are easier to police when deciding on NS races. As things stand though, the rule is unenforceable.

When you say "vote with your feet" are you suggest that i don't race any more? All that'll do is pi55 me off and won't effect anything else as someone else will gladly take the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What can the organizers do?

Can they pay for more Bike officials over the norm? They are the ones who organize the waves etc agreed, but a few posts on here won't change that.

TI can set some guideline to follow. They can give preference to races that are easier to police when deciding on NS races. As things stand though, the rule is unenforceable.

When you say "vote with your feet" are you suggest that i don't race any more? All that'll do is pi55 me off and won't effect anything else as someone else will gladly take the place?

It can be worked out based on the length of the bike course and the number of laps the maximum number that can be in a race before drafting becomes inevitable. Organisers could cap the number of entries so this number is not exceeded and drafting reduced.

tunney wrote: »
    It can be worked out based on the length of the bike course and the number of laps the maximum number that can be in a race before drafting becomes inevitable. Organisers could cap the number of entries so this number is not exceeded and drafting reduced.

Now your'e talking - get someone to listen and were on the pigs back!!!

While i'm at it I did a bit of maths - 550 in race yesterday - 12m draft Zone - thats 6.6 km of zone taken up by competitors alone - that's over a quarter of the course.

Jasas put that to a multi lapped event like Dublin city Tri and it is probably impossible not to draft!!

And next week we can ressurrect this one!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85316421

At the moment we must live with this. But at least we can have good give out on here!!

While i'm at it I did a bit of maths - 550 in race yesterday - 12m draft Zone - thats 6.6 km of zone taken up by competitors alone - that's over a quarter of the course.

Well, technically not. Assuming the second wave went off at least 10 minutes after the first. Trevor was out of the water by the time the second wave started. His 31 minute cycle was faster than the swim of the last person to finish (37 minutes). So he was out on the run by the time she was getting on her bike! ;)

A solution is more waves with smaller numbers in them(though that could make the swim a bit crap) Personally I think it's mad having the male over 40's in with the wimmen. :confused:

Problem with more waves is the race takes longer and Irish people are not good at having a whole 10K of their roads closed off for a day.

Well, technically not. Assuming the second wave went off at least 10 minutes after the first. Trevor was out of the water by the time the second wave started. His 31 minute cycle was faster than the swim of the last person to finish (37 minutes). So he was out on the run by the time she was getting on her bike! ;)

I had to post this when i read that... ))))))

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152614824187122&set=a.10152614809172122.1073741862.216304062121&type=1&theater

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/p480x480/10406782_10152614824187122_246397637585365538_n.jpg

Problem with more waves is the race takes longer and Irish people are not good at having a whole 10K of their roads closed off for a day.

Agree with this, there's only so much local goodwill a club can get from a small village that relies on weekend holiday motorists. They want to put on a good race that is popular because its good.

The problem is with the individual athletes cheating, rather than enforcement issues. I encountered a lot of congestion, and found easy ways not to draft. Would the individual athletes be happy to shoplift if they could get away with it? To cheat in business? To tell their kids to cheat on other kids? Ask yourself, why is it ok to cheat your fellow athletes? (and "because I can get away with it" isn't a good answer).

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

These arguments about how it's almost impossible not to draft at some point with so many competitors on the course at once don't account for people riding in "pelotons" though. There's no excuse for people getting away with riding in an organised pack, especially if as RQ says they are actually seen by an MO.

These arguments about how it's almost impossible not to draft at some point with so many competitors on the course at once don't account for people riding in "pelotons" though. There's no excuse for people getting away with riding in an organised pack, especially if as RQ says they are actually seen by an MO.

Not a lot the MO can do if their numbers are scrunched up so can't be read (at least 3 of a train of 7 had their numbers like this- I couldn't read them as I biked past, and it looked very deliberate). Its a bit of a joke really- at least you can hammer the feckers in the swim:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Not a lot the MO can do if their numbers are scrunched up so can't be read (at least 3 of a train of 7 had their numbers like this- I couldn't read them as I biked past, and it looked very deliberate). Its a bit of a joke really- at least you can hammer the feckers in the swim:D

easy. can't read a number, stop them. iron fist for a while is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=777612015617516

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In DCT last year they had a thing where if you were reported as drafting by three different marshalls you were pinged, a great idea I thought although easier for DCT as it is laps

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

I was in wave 1 and met someone from wave 2 in T2 :( , looking at the times it means the waves were only 7 minutes apart.

Originally Posted by RacoonQueen View Post

Doing some quick maths, had the women gone in their own wave at the start and then the men divided into 2 waves each wave 7 mins apart the bikes would have been out on the course for 3 minutes less than they actually were!
    First Bike Last Bike Length of time
    Actual 11:12:07 12:44:35 01:32:28
    3 waves women only 1st 11:13:24 12:42:30 01:29:06

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Yeah was at a race at the weekend and a group of drafting w@€)k3rs came flying past. I tried to get on their tail but they were too fast.. I shouted at one of em to wait up, but he just slid his number belt around to the front and left me there. Selfish b*****ds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

speedyj wrote: »
    Yeah was at a race at the weekend and a group of drafting w@€)k3rs came flying past. I tried to get on their tail but they were too fast.. I shouted at one of em to wait up, but he just slid his number belt around to the front and left me there. Selfish b*****ds!

sorry about that, but i didnt want to lose the group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Every year its the same discussion....drafting is always going to be an issue on the majority of tri courses in Ireland..because the majority of tri's are one or two wave starts.....on narrow roads..where groups can congregate. Put too many people on the road of same abilities at once and boom...drafting or pelotons occur

Your pi**in against the wind if you think its going to change.

Your rarely see drafting in Athy or Athlone because of the age group wave starts. Thats the only way it can be nearly eradicated.

Kilkee will be a draft fest Sat. Best you can hope for is they guy you racing against does not break the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

One other thing complain about drafting all you want.

But at the end of the day if they strong enough to go by you....you have not worked hard enough on the turbo during the winter.......eh miller 82 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Drafting.....I can't help but think of what Chrissie Wellington wrote in her book Life Without Limits regarding this topic. Granted, she wasn't talking about pelotons motoring past her, but rather when a cyclist tries to hang onto her....

"Don't underestimate the use of urine as a weapon. On the bike it is forbidden to take advantage of someone's slipstream, even though it is allowed in the swim. We call it drafting. To get too close to the bike in front is not only dangerous but cheating. There are a series of penalties for anyone caught doing it, but people still do. If anyone does it to me, I let off a warning shot, and they usually back off. It is yet another reason to keep yourself hydrated."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

time will tell my friend, time will tell !!! :p

watch out for snot rockets....amongst other things .....just a heads up

• Advertisement

Remember on Saturday... after Kilkee's tough swim... scrunch up the number, get on the bike and relax.... Just make sure you follow a nice ar5e...

Advertisement