Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How beautiful is Waterford

Options
  • 23-06-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Just saw the Stradbally GAA video for their cycle next week, some unreal footage of the copper coast. Why is not more done by the those in charge of Tourism to promote this part of our beautiful country. The video is on YouTube, could nt post the link, we'll worth a view.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

I find the coastal areas of Waterford are really, really beautiful. As for the city, i think it is pretty soulless and unaesthetic but has so much potential and it is improving slowly. The area around Ardkeen is really well kept though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

It's not!
    Neglected for decades by the various councils who didn't have a clue.
    All we have to show for 1000 years is a Viking triangle, an area smaller
    in size than the Viking City, a 200mtr sprint would cover it!

We have a port that's derelict for years with the exception of a rare appearance
    of a cruise liner. The ruins of a once fashionable hotel on a height overlooking the city.
    A flour mill that has been dying a slow death since Strongbow was a boy!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You're spot on, its an excellent promo video showing our fantastic coastline in all its glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

It's not!

Sensing your buzz wreck and scraping it off my shoe. Do something about it and stop bitching :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

old gregg wrote: »
    Sensing your buzz wreck and scraping it off my shoe. Do something about it and stop bitching :mad:

Agree. We have an exceptionally beautiful County and Coastline. One of the few counties where you can actually drive along the coast with fantastic sea views. The City is steeped in Viking heritage and attention needs to be paid to some spots. Some local people have formed Waterford Task Force, with the aim being to clean up areas on tourist trails in need of attention. They have started on Castle Street already.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/waterfordtaskforce/

I agree that the Tourism board are very poor when it comes to Waterford. That video really puts them to shame. But really shows this County off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Yep agree. Any place is what you make of it. I'm not originally from Waterford and have lived and done music in a bunch of countries. If folks don't like where they live then either change it or move somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

It's not!
    Neglected for decades by the various councils who didn't have a clue.
    All we have to show for 1000 years is a Viking triangle, an area smaller
    in size than the Viking City, a 200mtr sprint would cover it!

We have a port that's derelict for years with the exception of a rare appearance
    of a cruise liner. The ruins of a once fashionable hotel on a height overlooking the city.
    A flour mill that has been dying a slow death since Strongbow was a boy!

There's another ill informed comment by someone who can't or won't open their eyes.
    Just the last ten years we've had a complete city bypass, a new bridge, a motorway to Dublin, a complete flood protection system built at enormous cost about to be completed that is the envy of Cork and a lot of other cities.
    A humongous amount of money being spent on the old quarter of the City including 3, That's three new museums.
    The City has gotten a complete new sewage system stopping the raw sewage going into our biggest asset.
    The port is flat out on bulk admittedly container traffic is poor compared to its heyday, but most of that is going directly to Dublin now.
    Seven sewage plants being built in Tramore Dunmore Cheekpoint etc, but hey don't let the truth get in the way of a good whinge!
    It is not perfect but we are pulling ourselves up by the shoelaces and a huge amount of the work I have listed above is major infrastructure work that is in place for the upswing and makes us a very good choice for future investment.

So to finish your petty little tabloid post may make you happy but it is worthy of a red top in that it is catchy untrue and plain stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I drove from Dunmore to Dungarvan last week stopping off in Portally and Boatstrand to do a bit of fishing and Waterford really is a beautiful place,it should of been included in the wild atlantic way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Nationwide had a good feature on last night.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10296013/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

id also recommend to look at the Facebook page "Beautiful Waterford Imagery" Its got some amazing pics from around the county

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pretty much anywhere in the Waterford, Passage, Dunmore, Tramore, Kilmeaden area is very very scenic. You can have some great bike trips in this area.

As is the way out to Carrick on Suir too.

I haven't ventured too much further than that yet.

I think once the walkway from Waterford to Kilmeaden goes in it'll give a big boost to actually being able to get out and appreciate the scenery without having to go too far. A criticism I would have, that this project will stop, is that there's no where really to go for a good walk along by the river, which is mad for a city built on a river!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

CatFromHue wrote: »
    ...there's no where really to go for a good walk along by the river, which is mad for a city built on a river!

There is. You can walk all the way from Glenville to Riverview or whatever it is called by the river.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Where's Riverview?

wellboytoo wrote: »
    There's another ill informed comment by someone who can't or won't open their eyes.
    Just the last ten years we've had a complete city bypass, a new bridge, a motorway to Dublin, a complete flood protection system built at enormous cost about to be completed that is the envy of Cork and a lot of other cities.
    A humongous amount of money being spent on the old quarter of the City including 3, That's three new museums.
    The City has gotten a complete new sewage system stopping the raw sewage going into our biggest asset.
    The port is flat out on bulk admittedly container traffic is poor compared to its heyday, but most of that is going directly to Dublin now.
    Seven sewage plants being built in Tramore Dunmore Cheekpoint etc, but hey don't let the truth get in the way of a good whinge!
    It is not perfect but we are pulling ourselves up by the shoelaces and a huge amount of the work I have listed above is major infrastructure work that is in place for the upswing and makes us a very good choice for future investment.

So to finish your petty little tabloid post may make you happy but it is worthy of a red top in that it is catchy untrue and plain stupid.

While it is good to have so much being done within the City you may have proved my argument. My point is 'this should have been YEARS ago' Sewage works & flood protection are hardly going to draw in the tourists. Why is it only being done now? The city hasn't developed in size to an extraordinary level within the last decade so were we just getting by
    on the facilities we had? Were we breaking EU rules in the disposal of raw sewage?

As for your term 'The Old Quarter' the rest of the City should look as good but it doesn't.
    And I'll ask again 'Why' is this only being done now? We sat back on our haunches when
    Waterford Crystal was in it's prime with thousands of tourists coming to our city each year.
    Now in a recession why is the money being spent now? Did we feel that we didn't need to at the time?

We have dirty old & empty buildings across the city. Those that are occupied are in dire need of a lick of paint. Surely there should be an incentive for the occupiers to maintain the façade of their premises or those that are empty & in the way of progress just demolish them but I think we've been down that road before.

BBM77 wrote: »
    There is. You can walk all the way from Glenville to Riverview or whatever it is called by the river.

Would it be Island View (just before Beckett's in Knockboy)? Riverview across the road from Beckett's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

While it is good to have so much being done within the City you may have proved my argument. My point is 'this should have been YEARS ago' Sewage works & flood protection are hardly going to draw in the tourists. Why is it only being done now? The city hasn't developed in size to an extraordinary level within the last decade so were we just getting by
    on the facilities we had?

No it hasnt developed /enlarged to a huge degree for several reasons 1 Tramore took a lot of the housing it has trebled in size in the last 20 years. 2 Waterford was not very attractive and rather shabby rigbt through the seventies and eighties and imo blessed and blighted by Waterford Crystal, kids went in there on very large wages from an early age, which disencouraged education and murdered anyone trying to employ people on a normal wage.

Were we breaking EU rules in the disposal of raw sewage?

Yes Ireland is still doing it in many places.

As for your term 'The Old Quarter' the rest of the City should look as good but it doesn't.
    And I'll ask again 'Why' is this only being done now?
    We sat back on our haunches when
    Waterford Crystal was in it's prime with thousands of tourists coming to our city each year.
    Now in a recession why is the money being spent now? Did we feel that we didn't need to at the time?

I would blame a huge amount on our City manager of that period who was a bean counter of the highest order and left a lovely set of books but a City in tatters and we gave the bollix the freedom of the City I would have given him the freedom of the Suir.
    [/B]

We have dirty old & empty buildings across the city. Those that are occupied are in dire need of a lick of paint. Surely there should be an incentive for the occupiers to maintain the façade of their premises or those that are empty & in the way of progress just demolish them but I think we've been down that road before.
    I grant progress is slow in some areas and we have landlords who took rent for years and put nothing back into their properties but it is changing slowly, but the pace has rapidly improved since Michael Walsh came on board

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Beautiful video of The Copper Coast and there's no doubt we live in an extraordinarily beautiful county.

Great work being done on the City Centre and it's definetly a far more attractive place to visit than it was even 2 or 3 years ago.

on the facilities we had? Were we breaking EU rules in the disposal of raw sewage?

Probably. But no more than anywhere else in Ireland. The City hasn't developed because of the insanity of objections in the last decade. FFS even the Trades Council objected. To a project that would have generated 1100 jobs. Insanity.
    And I'll ask again 'Why' is this only being done now? We sat back on our haunches when

I would agree with much of that. Too many eggs in one basket. But that was the way it was. the City is now being regretted, but areas bordering the VT are so bad that a group (Waterford task Force) has been set up by citizens to try and tackle some of these themselves, due to lack of action by the City Council.

Not that easy. Privately owned. The worst that can happen is the serving of a dereliction order.

I think they believe that the City Centre has to be at the centre of city life & I suppose they
    are trying to protect what is left but it never will be again.
    I was recently at the outlet centre in Kildare & a fine place it was but unless you have the
    population that are earning a decent income I think such places will have a short shelf life
    expectancy. Waterford is too small a city to generate major income that would hold such
    companies here.

I think they believe that the City Centre has to be at the centre of city life & I suppose they
    are trying to protect what is left but it never will be again.
    I was recently at the outlet centre in Kildare & a fine place it was but unless you have the
    population that are earning a decent income I think such places will have a short shelf life
    expectancy. Waterford is too small a city to generate major income that would hold such
    companies here.

That's a defeatist attitude. The words "you can't" are an opt out.

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »
    That's a defeatist attitude. The words "you can't" are an opt out.

Where did I use the words 'you can't' or are you quoting me incorrectly?

This city is 100 years behind Limerick, Cork & Galway in terms of investment & local
    infrastructure. We need or more the case needed a University at the very least to attract
    companies to the county but we lacked political clout & political determination in either
    seeing this or fighting the case for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Would it be Island View (just before Beckett's in Knockboy)? Riverview across the road from Beckett's.

I know from the back of Ballinakill downs to just before the houses to the side of the Waterford Castle slip is just tracks, access along the river is blocked by the houses and their private jetties. The area itself is scrub land and there is evidence of fires and some of the gorse is burnt plus it's a minefield with dog sh*te. At end of Ballinakill park going into the waste area the locals are using it as a brown waste dumping area.
    You can then walk from the Waterford Castle road path into Powerscourt and then follow the gravel path along the river dodging the dog sh*te and unleashed dogs down through woods and up to Freshfield. Not funny when dogs go for you or you end up with your carpet destroyed.
    Theres also an area just at the start of the woods that is being used as a latrine by person(s). I believe you could once walk right into town but someone built apartments on a right of way and blocked the path off.
    Yes this is our beautiful Waterford created by Waterford people.

Reading through the rest of the comments there is one big comment that stands out for me "Just the last ten years we've had a complete city bypass, a new bridge, a motorway to Dublin, a complete flood protection system built at enormous cost about to be completed that is the envy of Cork and a lot of other cities."
    10 years just to get a few things done is taking the michael and most of those are to bypass or get out of waterford quicker. On another note just saw a picture tonight of the flood protection or should that be lack of protection at the back of poleberry. The rose coloured glasses need to be removed and see the place for what it really is and looks like and telling people to move if they don't like it is really going to help cause its those that don't care or just couldn't be bothered have the place the way it is.

For those 10 years can you point out how other cities/places in Ireland have had much better infrastructure development?

spookwoman wrote: »
    I know from the back of Ballinakill downs to just before the houses to the side of the Waterford Castle slip is just tracks, access along the river is blocked by the houses and their private jetties.
    I have walked all the way from Glenville to past Island View and I was not blocked by the houses and their private jetties.
    On another note just saw a picture tonight of the flood protection or should that be lack of protection at the back of poleberry. The rose coloured glasses need to be removed and see the place for what it really is and looks like and telling people to move if they don't like it is really going to help cause its those that don't care or just couldn't be bothered have the place the way it is.

Again, if you would care to get your facts correct before you comment you would find that that flood protection scheme is not finished yet. Hence it still floods sometimes.

Sorry just saw this, thanks. Yes Island View.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

BBM77 I didnt see a way along the river straight to the slip last time there, all i saw was a fence with big sign saying something like keep out. ref the flood scheme waterford is celebrating its 1100 birthday, its only taken that amount of time to do something about the flooding hence the remark about it still flooding.

I note no comments about the garden, animal and human waste along the walk and I think what happened with the marathon just proves the point of ah sure it happens everywhere else so why not here attitude which makes me sick.

spookwoman wrote: »
    BBM77 I didnt see a way along the river straight to the slip last time there, all i saw was a fence with big sign saying something like keep out. ref the flood scheme waterford is celebrating its 1100 birthday, its only taken that amount of time to do something about the flooding hence the remark about it still flooding.

I note no comments about the garden, animal and human waste along the walk and I think what happened with the marathon just proves the point of ah sure it happens everywhere else so why not here attitude which makes me sick.

There was no comment because as somebody who has walked along that walk a number of times I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.

Where did I use the words 'you can't' or are you quoting me incorrectly?

You're inferring TBH.

This city is 100 years behind Limerick, Cork & Galway in terms of investment & local
    infrastructure. We need or more the case needed a University at the very least to attract
    companies to the county but we lacked political clout & political determination in either
    seeing this or fighting the case for it.

The things in which we are 100 years behind are:

1. As you correctly point out - political representation at local and national level. FG lackies on the last Council allowed the - in essence - stripping of your City status. And worse. At least the majority of them got their comeuppance. Too late for the City, sadly.

2. A Council and management team which listens - and acts. Not ignores.

I fully agree on the university issue - and not this miss-mash Frankenstein TU which is being proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Just saw that Alan Magner who made the Stradbally Gaa video of the beautiful Copper Coast, has just posted a video of the West Clare coast and it has gone viral with almost 10,000 views in 24 hours!! Joe.ie tweeted a piece about it and people went mad for it. It's time the people of Waterford shared this video with their friends and show them what this beautiful part of our country has to offer, fair play to Alan Magner for producing such work.

• Advertisement

Just saw that Alan Magner who made the Stradbally Gaa video of the beautiful Copper Coast, has just posted a video of the West Clare coast and it has gone viral with almost 10,000 views in 24 hours!! Joe.ie tweeted a piece about it and people went mad for it. It's time the people of Waterford shared this video with their friends and show them what this beautiful part of our country has to offer, fair play to Alan Magner for producing such work.

Share, share, and share!!!!

Advertisement