Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been offered a council house!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

mummymoo wrote: »
    its not been extended tho as ive said its one bedroom that has been divided to make it a 2 bedroom because the people that lived before me had another child, so it was originally given as a council house for a family with 1 child, i will have 3! ive also been told that the down stairs kitchen living area is all open plan, im concerned about our sanity lol i have told the council that i am expecting but i dont know if they have taken note of it, i dont even know if im alowed to see the house? and also i DONT get everything handed to me because some people seem to think i do just because ive been offered a house, i barely get by with what i have, im very lucky to be offered a council house

I would take it anyway. As you have said your very luvky and it sounds more than adequate and will ofer stability to the kids and yourself. What does your husband or partner think?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I've a mortgaged house that was originally 2 bed now turned into a three bed and I've three kids. They don't all require a seperate bedroom,infact the benifits of them sharing are substantial in their development.
    I grew up in a two bed ex council, 2 up 2 down, 6 kids in one bedroom. God those were great days and me and my siblings never had any issues we were glad of the company and warmt :)

If I where in your position I'd be looking at stabilty as the number one priority not number of rooms or room size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I don't normally read the A&P threads but am a bit bored today so I'm spending a bit more time on Boards than I normally do. I have to say I am shocked at some of the nasty responses to the OP. I'd hate to come here looking for advice if some of these responses are anything to go by - and I'm a regular on After Hours so not easily shocked. Chill out guys and play nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I don't normally read the A&P threads but am a bit bored today so I'm spending a bit more time on Boards than I normally do. I have to say I am shocked at some of the nasty responses to the OP. I'd hate to come here looking for advice if some of these responses are anything to go by - and I'm a regular on After Hours so not easily shocked. Chill out guys and play nice

I think that is just evidence of the frustration out there from people who are struggling to pay mortgages / rent with no job security and falling real wages and seeing someone who has been offered a council house actually considering turning it down. I have some sympathy with that view, tbh, and I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised at the responses

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

my children are currently sharing a room and they love it, i was a month ago about to move into a 2 bed flat with no rent allowance either, but i knew i would be able to move after a year, but moving into a council house is different you stuck there then, also you wouldnt buy a house as small as that if you had 3 children and if you did you would be looking to move again when they are a bit older, anyway thank you to the people that were helpful with their replies :)

• Advertisement

I think that is just evidence of the frustration out there from people who are struggling to pay mortgages / rent with no job security and falling real wages and seeing someone who has been offered a council house actually considering turning it down. I have some sympathy with that view, tbh, and I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised at the responses

I fully understand and sympathize with that but the OP was just looking for advice – not to be ridiculed because of other people’s opinions. From reading the post I imagine that if the OP had received the offer a few weeks ago then she would have been delighted and there would be no dilemma or choice. She’s found a lovely house and just wants to make the right choice – aren't we all entitled to be a bit unsure in situations like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

my children are currently sharing a room and they love it, i was a month ago about to move into a 2 bed flat with no rent allowance either, but i knew i would be able to move after a year, but moving into a council house is different you stuck there then, also you wouldnt buy a house as small as that if you had 3 children and if you did you would be looking to move again when they are a bit older, anyway thank you to the people that were helpful with their replies :)
    Sorry to burst your bubble but many people live within the means they have. That means if they can only afford a 3 bed house that is what they get.

You haven't been in the house so not sure how small you think it is. If it is a council built place the front master bed room was very big and easily converted into two rooms. What people used to do was move into the smaller room and let their kids stay in the big room. My grandparents lived in one with their 3 daughters and a lodger.

Security for your family would suggest you take the council house personal desires say stay on RA and take your risks. As an adult looking out for her family the answer should be very clear.

You will only need a single bed so there appears to be plenty of room in the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Op if you refuse the house you should be taken off the waiting list and have your rent allowance withdrawn. Its time you got off the gravy train there are thousands of people who work everyday to keep there houses are support their families and there you are thinking that that you should deserve a bigger council house free because you want one. Get over yourself maybe of you worked for once you might realise that not everyone lives off hand outs some of us actually get up every morning and do hard work to get money and buy or rent our houses.

Op if you refuse the house you should be taken off the waiting list and have your rent allowance withdrawn. Its time you got off the gravy train there are thousands of people who work everyday to keep there houses are support their families and there you are thinking that that you should deserve a bigger council house free because you want one. Get over yourself maybe of you worked for once you might realise that not everyone lives off hand outs some of us actually get up every morning and do hard work to get money and buy or rent our houses.

Appalling response if you ask me. How can you know the OPs circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The pitchforks are out

• Advertisement

Appalling response if you ask me. How can you know the OPs circumstances?

I know that the op is on rent allowance and has been offered a council house which they plan to refuse as they for some reason feel entitled for us the tax pays to keep paying to support them when they may not have worked a day on their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Two kids no job, already cannot afford to pay your own way, and going for a third ,making waves about the free house not being good enough.

I gotta believe OP is trolling the forum.

Well Played ,mention in passing that you are also an asylum seeking Muslim and you will have the trifecta of Right wing rage blowing up all over our poor forum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Right, one more nasty post about the OP and her circumstances and I will be handing out infractions.

i came on here for advice on the council house i am offered not to discuss my job, my family circumstances or any other payments i may or may not be getting from the social welfare, i never once mentioned weather i was single or not weather i was working or not, and never said i was receiving rent allowance i said i have payed the deposit on a house that will accept rent allowance. you dont know what situation i am in atal and its none of your business and irrelevant to my question but ye are all quick to judge!! also i mentioned that i was going to rent a house without rent allowance before i found this house that will accept rent allowance, yes i can barely afford to live as it is that is because im an honest person and not robbing the state for every penny i can scrape off them, i am concerned about my children and what is best for them not your issues with paying your mortgage, but i have gotten enough help from those who were willing to help on this post thanks

i came on here for advice on the council house i am offered not to discuss my job, my family circumstances or any other payments i may or may not be getting from the social welfare, i never once mentioned weather i was single or not weather i was working or not, and never said i was receiving rent allowance i said i have payed the deposit on a house that will accept rent allowance. you dont know what situation i am in atal and its none of your business and irrelevant to my question but ye are all quick to judge!! also i mentioned that i was going to rent a house without rent allowance before i found this house that will accept rent allowance, yes i can barely afford to live as it is that is because im an honest person and not robbing the state for every penny i can scrape off them, i am concerned about my children and what is best for them not your issues with paying your mortgage, but i have gotten enough help from those who were willing to help on this post thanks

Good luck to you mummymoo, I hope things work out for you. Don't let the begrudgers get you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

BTW I am sorry for my initial reaction and some of the comments but it's hard to stomach when you here someone complain about the free house they are getting offered when I myself am saddled with a mortgage etc.

As I said best of luck.

You came on her making statements about your expectations on what property you would get from the state. You mentioned your personal circumstances as it would explain why you are not happy to accept what is being offered. That is going to warrant questions and you are on a public forum so people asked.
    Saying you have 2 children and another coming does warrant questions about who is also contributing to the children's welfare and why the state is and should be housing you.

Some comments were nasty but you also have to understand how frustrating your comments are to other people working for their housing.

It is akin to a very wealthy person complaining about where to put their money in many people's eyes. If you didn't consider this you are very naïve. You even made disparaging remarks yourself in suggesting people wouldn't buy a 3 bed house if they had 3 kids. To many, including myself, that is a remarkable statement void of the reality of people who pay for their own homes.

So why do you feel the state owes you a house with a bedroom each for your children when others can't afford it but are working?

That isn't a mean or nasty question but you could take offense, whether that is a reasonable response or not is a point of view but given your comments I think it is a honest one. I don't understand what your problem is and the answer in the best interests of your family seems very clear.

I can't really blame people who begrudge and are a little irritated that their taxes are being used to give some people a free ride in life. I'm not sure about the OP, I don't know her, but I'd like to think she will be grateful with getting something for nothing. I'd also like to think that the kids father/fathers is meeting his legal obligation and duties and not having the tax payer footing the whole bill.

Best of luck mummymoo, I really hope that you can settle down in this new place and give the kids a decent education etc.

I'm a tax payer myself and own my own home. I also have no time for those who make a living from claiming benefits but what really grated on me in relation to this thread was peoples willingness to assume that OP was a taker. No-one knew her circumstances but were willing to take a pop at her anyway - not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I will apologise also to the OP for my harsh comments.

I suppose what some people are amazed at is that someone who's been offered a council home is considering not taking it...just that it's a bit unusual for someone to choose to continue with RA instead of taking the council home.

But I am sorry for my comments and I direct my apology at both the OP and The Morrigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'm a tax payer myself and own my own home. I also have no time for those who make a living from claiming benefits but what really grated on me in relation to this thread was peoples willingness to assume that OP was a taker. No-one knew her circumstances but were willing to take a pop at her anyway - not fair.

That's the internet

• Advertisement

it dosent matter why they are housing me?! thats my personal matter, ok i have no problems with a 3 bed house, that would be ideal but this house was never intended to be a 3 bed it was just put together because the past people had 2 children of different gender so instead of rehousing them they just split the room up, im sure anyone who has 3 kids and offered this house just after they found a really nice house to live in would be asking themselfs the same question, and i never said someone with 3 kids shouldnt buy a 3 bed house, im refering to the all over size of this house like its tiny, i will be taking the council house i just wanted to know if my choice was the right choice in the circumstances i am in, from what im told by people actually living in those houses it is not at all suitable for 3 children so im still unsure if making them live there will be the best thing for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

it dosent matter why they are housing me?! thats my personal matter, ok i have no problems with a 3 bed house, that would be ideal but this house was never intended to be a 3 bed it was just put together because the past people had 2 children of different gender so instead of rehousing them they just split the room up, im sure anyone who has 3 kids and offered this house just after they found a really nice house to live in would be asking themselfs the same question, and i never said someone with 3 kids shouldnt buy a 3 bed house, im refering to the all over size of this house like its tiny, i will be taking the council house i just wanted to know if my choice was the right choice in the circumstances i am in, from what im told by people actually living in those houses it is not at all suitable for 3 children so im still unsure if making them live there will be the best thing for them

I think this is the important part though. What is wrong with 3 kids living in a 3 bedroom house? The other house might be bigger and nicer, but you would be at the whim of the landlord. At least with the smaller house, you know you are secure. Imagine having to move with a young baby if the rent goes up..

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

I'd be careful and accept the house they are offering. I presume (unless our government is gone totally insane) that if you reject it you will not be offered rent allowance or another house?

Taking it is the safest option. Look on the bright side, it's a free house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

It is only natural to look at ones options...

you decide what is best for you..

the rest should leave their own feelings aside and have some compassion.. if you were in the same situation. I am sure many of you would do the same... I know I would.. I would do what is best for me and no one else.

I have a mortgage but that was my choice.. I don't begrudge anyone else's life choices..

At the end of the day.. no one here will be living in a cramped space.. the OP will...

mfergus wrote: »

Taking it is the safest option. Look on the bright side, it's a free house!
    In fairness it isn't free. It is a reduced rent linked to your income

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Reduced rent is an understatement...
    Although I accept it's not "free", it's not far off tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

There are lots of people paying about 75% of the market rate. As they earn more, they pay more in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Relatives of mine (2 kids, father works, stay at home mother) are paying €155 a week to the council. Works out at about €677 a month. Id say it is about half the private rental amount in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

OP if I were you I would take this house, it may very well be your last chance at getting a council house. If you haven't heard there is a new housing bill that has been voted in, from Jan next year something called the Housing Assistance Payment will be replacing Rent Allowance, once you are on HAP you are considered housed and are no longer on the council list to get a house. You need to apply to be on the list and even then you may well not ever get a house. Take this house, it is stability for you and your family.

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Ya but considering most council house inhabitants are already on handouts then its basically the government giving them money so they can give it back to the government therefore they are free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement